Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
My trip down RYCA lane (Read 1856 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: My trip down RYCA lane
Reply #45 - 09/22/14 at 09:37:04

Gheorghe wrote on 09/22/14 at 07:11:18:
Now I am calling this bike "done"

Done....Pffffft!  It is "substantially complete".

It looks great.....but you will find a thing or two you want to change as you ride it and gets some miles on it.

I found the rear tail light with built in turn signals to be horribly inadequate if you ride when the sun is shining....it will only be seen if folks are staring at it...it will not get their attention if they are not looking directly at you.  I added a supplemental stop light under the fender that is a really bright Emergency Flasher LED, and I added bright yellow LED turns signals.....they see me now!

The rear tail light should be taken apart and sealed up tight with RTV silicone.  After a couple of rides in the rain my tail light got wet inside, and a few weeks later it stopped working.  My most recently purchased one had a red lense to better tie in with my red paint scheme, and I took it apart and sealed it up before mounting it.  (I don't use tail light turn signals and have "real" turn signals).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390676538747?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

If you get caught in the rain - you will get a face full of water without a fender.  The first year I rode mine without a fender as I ran out of winter and did not want to spend good riding weather building a fender. The front tire throws water all over you, all over the bike....everywhere!  The next year I built a fender....and it is better as it does not throw as much water onto the engine and wiring up under the tank.  The bike still throws water in your face and up your backside....and on both feet. Undecided

You might want to consider adding a "stop" for the rear brake pedal.  Instead of the rear brake pedal flopping around, the stop allows you to adjust the vertical height of the pedal and the brake will work like it used to.  Go to Post #26 in this thread and see how Gerry built his:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1385498224/15

You might also want to use some silicone or Beeswax or something on the seams in the seat.  When that buggers gets wet it oozes water out onto your bottom for a long, long time......and gives you soggy shorts every time you sit down!

Have fun....and get ready to spend a lot of time talking to folks whenever you stop.....folks really want to know what it is!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gheorghe

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #46 - 09/22/14 at 10:11:33

Dave wrote on 09/22/14 at 09:37:04:
Gheorghe wrote on 09/22/14 at 07:11:18:
Now I am calling this bike "done"

Done....Pffffft!  It is "substantially complete".

It looks great.....but you will find a thing or two you want to change as you ride it and gets some miles on it.

I found the rear tail light with built in turn signals to be horribly inadequate if you ride when the sun is shining....it will only be seen if folks are staring at it...it will not get their attention if they are not looking directly at you.  I added a supplemental stop light under the fender that is a really bright Emergency Flasher LED, and I added bright yellow LED turns signals.....they see me now!

The rear tail light should be taken apart and sealed up tight with RTV silicone.  After a couple of rides in the rain my tail light got wet inside, and a few weeks later it stopped working.  My most recently purchased one had a red lense to better tie in with my red paint scheme, and I took it apart and sealed it up before mounting it.  (I don't use tail light turn signals and have "real" turn signals).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390676538747?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=...

If you get caught in the rain - you will get a face full of water without a fender.  The first year I rode mine without a fender as I ran out of winter and did not want to spend good riding weather building a fender. The front tire throws water all over you, all over the bike....everywhere!  The next year I built a fender....and it is better as it does not throw as much water onto the engine and wiring up under the tank.  The bike still throws water in your face and up your backside....and on both feet. Undecided

You might want to consider adding a "stop" for the rear brake pedal.  Instead of the rear brake pedal flopping around, the stop allows you to adjust the vertical height of the pedal and the brake will work like it used to.  Go to Post #26 in this thread and see how Gerry built his:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1385498224/15

You might also want to use some silicone or Beeswax or something on the seams in the seat.  When that buggers gets wet it oozes water out onto your bottom for a long, long time......and gives you soggy shorts every time you sit down!

Have fun....and get ready to spend a lot of time talking to folks whenever you stop.....folks really want to know what it is!

HAHAHA, Thanks for the correction Dave. It is "acceptable" for the time being.

Thanks for the ideas on the brake stop and the fender. I did ride it through rain and boy you are not kidding about the water spray. I was wondering where Suzuki mounted the invisible face squirting water soakers. I may do some creative chopping of the stock front fender and mount it somehow but we'll see.

For now I'm just going to try and continue riding it for the rest of the riding season. It only has 650 miles since the conversion. Embarrassed

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #47 - 09/22/14 at 13:59:17

Am I looking at this pic wrong?  I don't see how the stop works.  The arm either moves the wrong direction to contact the stop or I'm missing something.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Jeff71

I'm a bike noob!!!!!

South of Chicago, the suburbs
Reply #48 - 09/22/14 at 14:43:57

I think it is sitting back on it so the lever cannot rotate backwards and reduce the tension on the brake rod.
Jeff

Yeah, like I have any clue what is going on....
http://myrycabuild.weebly.com
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #49 - 09/22/14 at 18:32:07

The stop prevents the pedal from moving up too far, and it allows you to tighten the adjustment nut on the rear brake arm to set the pedal movement.  All production bikes have a stop built into the system that limits the brake pedal movement up.....the RYCA kit does not provide this and it is a needed improvement.

Here is the brake stop I made for mine, maybe it will help you visualize this a bit better.  The rubber tubing over the bolt keeps the brake pedal from making a clicking sound when the brake is released.

IP Logged
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Reply #50 - 09/22/14 at 19:59:06

Oh, I see now. Thanks!

You guys have some pretty good machinists skills.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
Superxin
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #51 - 02/10/15 at 06:49:58

HEY、
how long your rear wheel wire?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #52 - 02/10/15 at 08:33:11

Superxin wrote on 02/10/15 at 06:49:58:
HEY、
how long your rear wheel wire?

Hey....it is your lucky day.

I just happen to have a broke spoke here at my desk.

The spoke is 5-3/4" (146mm) from the tip of the threads to the start of the bend.  You need 18 spokes bent to 80 degrees (88.89 grads), and 18 spokes bent to 95 degrees (105.56 grads).  Those spokes are for use with an Excell rim....if you have a different rim the diameter at the spokes could be different.

IMG_0578.JPG

IP Logged
Philmh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #53 - 02/12/15 at 17:56:27

George!!  Awesome build!!!  Your post has finally answered my question!  I have been trying to figure out what the solenoid module was.  Now I know.  I am attempting to remove it from my build as well and unfortunately, my skills in electrical wiring are far worse than my mechanical skills.  I can solder wires, but can't read a schematic.  You mentioned that in order to remove it, you need to solder the power wire to the rest of the starter system circuit.  Which is the power wire in the picture included and where would I solder it to?  I am going to assume that I can just cut the remaining wires and leave them in the harness if I so choose?

In the picture, for clarification, the wire colors from left to right are yellow/black, red/white/blue, yellow/green, black/white, and black/red.

PHILS-SURFACE_-_WIN_20150212_204733.JPG
  IP Logged
Gheorghe

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 03/31/15 at 11:27:42

sorry I haven't been around in a while, I will let you know which wires you have to hook together when I get home.

Also, bike if for sale. It is on ebay now but PM me if anyone is interested.

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #55 - 04/24/15 at 00:27:00

Cool!

Very good job!!!  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home