Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
inner tube,tire question (Read 510 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: inner tube,tire question
Reply #30 - 05/04/13 at 19:21:03

Serowbot wrote on 05/04/13 at 18:54:11:
Until it happens to Gyro,.. it doesn't exist to Gyro... Huh...

This is why we're all imagining petcock problems... We're allowing ourselves to believe it's possible...

I feel the same way about prostate problems...  I'm figurin' if I refuse to believe in it,.. it can never happen to me...
Workin' so far... Wink...

"Until it happens to Gyro,.. it doesn't exist to Gyro... Huh..."  Exactly wrong.  One of the things I can do is change my mind in a heartbeat with new valid info.  That is why both RYCA bikes have manual petcocks,.... Raptor petcocks. 

This is moot, however, since it has happened to me a few times.  I have always used a liquid sealer/balancer, since, oh, the mid 1960s.  I can remember four times in the hundreds of thousands of motorcycle miles, I had a puncture.  
-- Once, I was stupid enough to pull out the nail, but the hole sealed up within a few seconds so I could finish the ride home.
-- A couple other times I noticed the nail, and just left it there until I got home.
-- Once, on a Gold Wing, (tubeless tire) I drove over something that cut the tire.  It went flat in about 30 seconds while at speed.  I was able to get it stopped before it went fully flat.  Yes,... I'll admit to it being messy to get the old tire off.  I can afford a roll of paper towels.

I still maintain that for all the advantages enjoyed on every single ride, it is well worth putting up with having to buy a roll of paper towels every ten or fifteen years.

« Last Edit: 05/05/13 at 04:22:22 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #31 - 05/04/13 at 19:40:04

DaThump wrote on 05/04/13 at 09:22:00:
Gyrobob wrote on 05/03/13 at 18:29:17:
When you get the tires/tubes off, don't be surprised if you have a few evenings of rust removal and truing in store for you.  
-- Tolerate no rust at all.  I was shocked, saddened, then pissed at how awful the rims were on my Savage when I took the tires off.  See reply 36 in the Double RYCA Build thread.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/36
-- My stock wheels had a lot of radial and lateral runout.  REal Keystone Kops stuff.  Get a real nipple wrench (not a crescent wrench) and get them true to within 1/32" or so maximum.  A real wheel shop will get them to 1/100" or so.  This is time well spent,.. but a necessary and onerous chore for wire-spoke wheels.

I didn't even think about truing the wheel Huh ,
luckily I've had experience with bicycle wheels and from what I've been reading, motorcycle wheels are easier.
That's an awesome job on the wheels from the link...lots of time and effort tho. Why not just use Phosphoric acid? cause of the pitting?

Do you true inside the forks? I'm thinking for the rear wheel that would be very difficult.  

I true the wheels with the axle clamped in a vise on the workbench.  Be sure to use some soft metal (aluminum?) between the jaws of the vise and the axle.  I have the rim close to the edge of the workbench so I can hold markers steady near the edge of the rim to mark the high spots.
-- Make sure you use genuine nipple wrenches, not open end wrenches.  Rounded off nipples have their place,... they are not for motorcycle wheels.
-- Before you get started, loosen every nipple a 1/2 turn, then tighten it 1/4 turn.  This breaks all the joints loose so the whole wheel can react to tuning a few spokes.

To get the tire on and off, use some sort of tool made to handle beads on motorcycle tires.  I have a Breeezer, but I don't think they are available anymore. It came with a tire spoon as shown below.  Over the past 40 years that set has been used hundreds of times on my bikes and friends' bikes.  We've done 22 removes/installs just during the Double RYCA build.

Stubby tire tools are similar: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-tools/stubby-tire-tools/

I'm considering getting a pair of the Stubby tire tools because they are plastic so they are lighter, and will be less likely to scratch an aluminum rim.  Amazon has them at the moment.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056BT9FK/ref=asc_df_B0056BT9FK2499481?smid=A122T64...

« Last Edit: 05/05/13 at 05:31:02 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #32 - 05/05/13 at 00:46:17

Gyrobob wrote on 05/04/13 at 19:21:03:
I can remember four times in the hundreds of thousands of motorcycle miles, I had a puncture.

Well,... I still refuse to believe in prostate problems... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 01:27:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › inner tube,tire question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.