Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
inner tube,tire question (Read 510 times)
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: inner tube,tire question
Reply #15 - 05/04/13 at 09:22:00

Gyrobob wrote on 05/03/13 at 18:29:17:

When you get the tires/tubes off, don't be surprised if you have a few evenings of rust removal and truing in store for you.  
-- Tolerate no rust at all.  I was shocked, saddened, then pissed at how awful the rims were on my Savage when I took the tires off.  See reply 36 in the Double RYCA Build thread.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/36
-- My stock wheels had a lot of radial and lateral runout.  REal Keystone Kops stuff.  Get a real nipple wrench (not a crescent wrench) and get them true to within 1/32" or so maximum.  A real wheel shop will get them to 1/100" or so.  This is time well spent,.. but a necessary and onerous chore for wire-spoke wheels.

I didn't even think about truing the wheel Huh ,
luckily I've had experience with bicycle wheels and from what I've been reading, motorcycle wheels are easier.
That's an awesome job on the wheels from the link...lots of time and effort tho. Why not just use Phosphoric acid? cause of the pitting?

Do you true inside the forks? I'm thinking for the rear wheel that would be very difficult.  

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 05/04/13 at 09:42:27

Serowbot wrote on 05/03/13 at 19:02:12:
... 6yr old rubber is pretty old, and maybe dried out ....

I'm trying to be toooo cheap..
the stock IRC tires were alarming,I was almost shocked to see so many cracks and rubber rot for a six yr old tire...
then I rode it 250 miles to home... Shrug. tires made it

I like my Shinko, same size as yours on the rear,... It should fit fine...
Get a rear tube with a 90' valve stem... makes inflation and checks much easier... pointed, brake side...

thanks for the heads up

You better warn them if you bring them a liquid balanced tire, or risk a buttwuppin'... Grin...

lol  I've been there

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 05/04/13 at 10:01:07

runwyrlph wrote on 05/03/13 at 19:52:42:

valve stems?  don't they come with the tube?  

That was my thinking, until I went to order them. Bikemaster tubes had six different valve stems, but most didn't fit the wheel size. three did. It took some searching to find the 'right' ones, probably all three would have worked but I really didn't want any surprises or delays.

runwyrlph wrote on 05/03/13 at 19:52:42:
ps If handling suffers from wheels not being trued/balanced, I can't tell. but i'm not a pro.  

I wasn't going to balance or true myself, I doubt I'd notice most imbalances. But I might as well seeing how I'll have the wheel off.
sigh. so much for doing it the lazy way

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 05/04/13 at 10:15:08

Gyrobob wrote on 05/03/13 at 19:57:25:

Let's start another balancer war, eh?

I've stayed away from any sealant/goo in my tires since I was scolded by a tire man as a teenager twenty yrs ago.

I didn't even know about liquid balancers
Looks like "I's gots me some mur learnin to do"

IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 05/04/13 at 10:31:30

Charon wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:07:33:
When you mount the new tire, puff some talcum powder in it before you install the tube.

I was pretty sure you were talking about baby powder...
But I had to 'google' talcum powder to make sure.

I've switched tires using tire irons on a car radial tire. I'm hoping the motorcycle tire is waaayy easier.  I looked on youtube, it looks easy. I guess I'll find out

Charon wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:07:33:
I suppose we can now get into a discussion about the best scent for the talcum powder.

Grin

IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #20 - 05/04/13 at 10:41:59

Gyrobob wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:03:34:
DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:36:08:
ToesNose wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:10:59:
Also get yourself angles valve stems for ease of checking air pressure and filling the tires  Wink

How do you get an angled valve stem for a tube? I went looking for some kind of attachment and nothing I found seemed to work.

You just buy it that way.  Have a look at this page on the Dennis Kirk website:

https://www.denniskirk.com/goldwing/tubes-rim-strips-and-valve-stems

Well, too bad I didn't know about that a month ago, when I got a new tire and tube. Good to know for future reference, though. Thanks!

- David
  IP Logged
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 05/04/13 at 10:42:59

Gyrobob wrote on 05/04/13 at 08:24:47:

Another tip is to heat the tire before installing.  Let it sit out in the sun for 20 minutes before you install it.  It'll be a lot more flexible for a few minutes.  No sunlight?,... put it in garbage bag, and keep the bag inflated with a hair dryer or small space heater for 10 - 20 minutes.  A cardboard box large enough to hold the tire will do as well.

Do you think I can get by with two 24" tire irons and a couple of C-clamps?
I normally like working on my motorcycles myself...but I do know a shop that will do both tires... remove, balance and mount for $70

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #22 - 05/04/13 at 11:49:46

If I were going to mount my own tires,... I think I'd try this...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #23 - 05/04/13 at 12:12:55

took him longer to get the bag out then to mount the tire.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 05/04/13 at 18:17:46

My buddy Jud and I tried that garbage bag trick for way too long before we gave up.  We had four tires to mount.  
It sure looked like a good way to make an awful job much less awful, but it doesn't work on our tire/wheel combinations.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #25 - 05/04/13 at 18:24:59

[quote author=48737E6978746F69727A77681B0 link=1367630135/0#10 date=1367669055]DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:36:08:
.....For an existing tube....you have to do something like this:
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/ANODIZED-TEAM-GP-VALVE-STEMS-UNIVERSAL-FIT...

I'm thinkin' that those things look like they were made for use with tubeless tires..... Undecided

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 05/04/13 at 18:29:11

I just mounted a tire today on the RYCA bike.  I finally got the wheel back from them, and after an evening of truing and deburring all the shards of aluminum their wheel grinder left on the wheel, I mounted the tire,.. a 4.00-18 Avon Speedmaster.  I hate this kind of work,.. it's not all that hard, it is just slow and tedious and tiring.

Here's a pic to illustrate how to check that your rim strip is still in place.  Go around the rim with the tire tool about every 8", move the bead away from the rim, and look down inside there to make sure the edge of the rim strip is in place.  The pic is not all that great, I had to add some arrows to point out the exact edge.

Funny thing,... that tube had a full bottle of PJ-1 Balance Plus in it.  I wonder what is all the mess these guys are talking about?  I didn't see one drop of the stuff when I took the tire off, nor when I put it back on.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'm not doing it right..

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #27 - 05/04/13 at 18:34:56

Gyrobob wrote on 05/04/13 at 18:29:11:
....Funny thing,... that tube had a full bottle of PJ-1 Balance Plus in it.  I wonder what is all the mess these guys are talking about?  I didn't see one drop of the stuff when I took the tire off, nor when I put it back on.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'm not doing it right..

Gy,

The point is that it makes a mess if you've had a leak.

I used to use that stuff back in the day (the '70's).  If you ever do get a puncture that the goop won't prevent leakage for (and, it does happen, trust me), you've got a mess on your hands...

And, God help you if you try to patch a tube that has the goop in it.  You'll also have to trust me on that one!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #28 - 05/04/13 at 18:54:11

Until it happens to Gyro,.. it doesn't exist to Gyro... Huh...

This is why we're all imagining petcock problems... We're allowing ourselves to believe it's possible...

I feel the same way about prostate problems...  I'm figurin' if I refuse to believe in it,.. it can never happen to me...
Workin' so far... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 05/04/13 at 19:06:32

Digger wrote on 05/04/13 at 18:34:56:
Gyrobob wrote on 05/04/13 at 18:29:11:
....Funny thing,... that tube had a full bottle of PJ-1 Balance Plus in it.  I wonder what is all the mess these guys are talking about?  I didn't see one drop of the stuff when I took the tire off, nor when I put it back on.  Hmmm.  Maybe I'm not doing it right..

Gy,

The point is that it makes a mess if you've had a leak.

I used to use that stuff back in the day (the '70's).  If you ever do get a puncture that the goop won't prevent leakage for (and, it does happen, trust me), you've got a mess on your hands...

And, God help you if you try to patch a tube that has the goop in it.  You'll also have to trust me on that one!

I had a Yamaha YM-1 in the 1960s that had a nail in the back tire (for how long I don't know) and it was holding normal pressure.  When I pulled the nail out (a stupid thing to do at the time because I was not home), it hissed for a few seconds then stopped.  

I rode it home,.. a trip of about 10 city miles (San Jose to Sunnyvale).  

I pulled the tube out, and patched it,.. but I'll admit it took two times to get it right.,... just arrange the tube so it doesn't skoosh when you clean the surface for the rubber cement.  I ended up having the tube on my knee with the hole on top and the rest of the tube hanging down.  There was a little leakage inside the tire, but a paper towel took care of that.

Yes, the goo can leak out of a hole, but all the advantages of having the liquid balancer far outweighs solder wrapped around a spoke.  
-- Every time I ride, I get all the advantages,.. permanent balance, perfect balance, slow leak protection, easy to install, cheap, only fool with it once.  
-- So,.. every decade or so I puncture a tire and have to deal with the goop,.. and usually that is not a problem because I do my own work, and the tube-tire bikes are no trouble at all.  Yes, the tubeless tires are messier.  I can put up with that once every ten years to enable living every day with all the advantages.

Another issue that puzzles me is why there seems to be so many folks here scared to death of their dealer.  If a guy is worried about getting a butt whippin for using PJ-1, he needs to find a new dealer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/21/24 at 23:00:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › inner tube,tire question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.