Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
inner tube,tire question (Read 510 times)
DaThump
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

inner tube,tire question
05/03/13 at 18:15:35

I've been searching for the last hour and half for new tires and tubes
My ls650 is at a friends,so I can't "eyeball" them
what is the stock value stems for the 2007 s40? there size?
tr-4 standard 8mm for front and pv-78 for the rear is what I've found, but I really want to make sure.
and the best/correct size of tubes?

I'd like any opinions, please
first do I really need new inner tubes? mine are only six years old, but I've read quite a bit about old tubes conforming to the old tires... but really, can tubes be that sensitive.
I'm going to change the tire/tubes my self, what about the balancing?

I've decided on the shinko 712 100/90-19 front
and 140/90-15 rear mainly for price and good reviews
I haven't heard anything about the rear tire rubbing, anybody know different?
Would you change the rim strips?

any recommendations and/or advice is much appreciated

Kev

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: inner tube,tire question
Reply #1 - 05/03/13 at 18:29:17

If the old tubes are in new condition, reuse them.  If they have any worn, cracked, wrinkled, or discolored areas, get new ones.  They're cheap.

Get new rim strips, they are REAL cheap.  The new ones will be more elastic, fit tighter, and stay in place better when remounting the tire.

When you get the tires/tubes off, don't be surprised if you have a few evenings of rust removal and truing in store for you.  
-- Tolerate no rust at all.  I was shocked, saddened, then pissed at how awful the rims were on my Savage when I took the tires off.  See reply 36 in the Double RYCA Build thread.  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1304722902/36
-- My stock wheels had a lot of radial and lateral runout.  REal Keystone Kops stuff.  Get a real nipple wrench (not a crescent wrench) and get them true to within 1/32" or so maximum.  A real wheel shop will get them to 1/100" or so.  This is time well spent,.. but a necessary and onerous chore for wire-spoke wheels.

I always use a liquid internal balancer of some sort.  PJ1 Balance Plus, for example.  Easy to do, forever balanced, and flat-tire protection from nails and such.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 05/03/13 at 19:02:12

I don't reuse tubes... I used to on dirt bikes, but not on street bikes... (my dirt bike would get 5 or 6 flats before blowing out completely in less than a year)...

It's not so much that they set a memory for the old tire,.. but, after 6 yrs. inflated, they don't deflate as much as a new one... and this can cause them to inflate a little off in the new tire... (maybe a little twisted in places)... 6yr old rubber is pretty old, and maybe dried out ...

I like my Shinko, same size as yours on the rear,... It should fit fine...
Get a rear tube with a 90' valve stem... makes inflation and checks much easier... pointed, brake side...

Liquid balancing is a personal choice.. I don't like it...
Tire stores hate it..(messy if they deal with a flat)... (Some will refuse to deal with it, because it will make a mess of their changer)...(same for those bb ball balancers,.. they can go all over the place in a shop)...
You better warn them if you bring them a liquid balanced tire, or risk a buttwuppin'... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #3 - 05/03/13 at 19:10:57

Yeah, I don't like liquid balancers for the same reasion.  Cool

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 05/03/13 at 19:52:42

I have used 140-90-15 kenda challengers on the rear since 2008 fits fine with no mods; no rubbing - i think i just put the the 3rd kenda on a couple weeks ago.  I think i put a new tube in about every other one.  I usually try to have a new tube on hand, because i've been known to pinch  the durn thing when mounting the new tire. Angry

I have not balanced or trued.

I have used sand paper and rustoleum on the rim, and have reused the rim strip every time.  

valve stems?  don't they come with the tube?  

I'm not at all trying to say that mine is the best way to do it, just it's what i do.  

ps If handling suffers from wheels not being trued/balanced, I can't tell. but i'm not a pro.  

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 05/03/13 at 19:57:25

I love liquid balancers.  
-- They work waaayyy better, never go out of balance, seal small holes, and they are cheap.  
-- I never let another person fondle my motorcycles in any way, including tire work.  I'd sooner let them fondle my current wife.  
-- Since I don't take the bike to a shop so they can charge me triple as much for lower quality work, I could care less about their opinions of tube goo.
-- Savages use tubes.  The goo stays in the tube, so,.. it is not at all messy.

Let's start another balancer war, eh?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 05/03/13 at 20:11:57

Good for you, Gyro...
I was just letting others know, that various goop in tubes is not appreciated by many shops...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 05/04/13 at 04:06:25

Serowbot wrote on 05/03/13 at 20:11:57:
Good for you, Gyro...
I was just letting others know, that various goop in tubes is not appreciated by many shops...

Yeah, good for me. Wink

I was just letting others know that various goops in tubes stay in the tubes, works real well, and unless someone tries to squirt it out the valve stem, "not appreciated" isn't a factor.

The main reason shops don't appreciate it is they then cannot charge $5 or $10 to do 2 min worth of "balancing."

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 05/04/13 at 04:10:59

Also get yourself angles valve stems for ease of checking air pressure and filling the tires  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Reply #9 - 05/04/13 at 04:36:08

ToesNose wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:10:59:
Also get yourself angles valve stems for ease of checking air pressure and filling the tires  Wink

How do you get an angled valve stem for a tube? I went looking for some kind of attachment and nothing I found seemed to work.

- David
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 05/04/13 at 05:04:15

DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:36:08:

How do you get an angled valve stem for a tube? I went looking for some kind of attachment and nothing I found seemed to work.

When buying a new tube you can find one that the valve stem is made with a 90 degree bend.  For an existing tube....you have to do something like this:
http://www.lockhartphillipsusa.com/ANODIZED-TEAM-GP-VALVE-STEMS-UNIVERSAL-FIT...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #11 - 05/04/13 at 08:01:43

Gyrobob wrote on 05/03/13 at 18:29:17:

I always use a liquid internal balancer of some sort.  PJ1 Balance Plus, for example.  Easy to do, forever balanced, and flat-tire protection from nails and such.

I'll have to look for that stuff.  I'm a big fan of "easy to do"

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 05/04/13 at 08:03:34

DavidOfMA wrote on 05/04/13 at 04:36:08:

You just buy it that way.  Have a look at this page on the Dennis Kirk website:

https://www.denniskirk.com/goldwing/tubes-rim-strips-and-valve-stems

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 05/04/13 at 08:07:33

When you mount the new tire, puff some talcum powder in it before you install the tube. That is an old mechanic's trick, probably now forgotten in the days of universal tubeless tires on cars. The talc is slippery and allows the tube to move around just a little inside the tire without chafing. For first inflation, leave the valve core out. Inflate to seat the beads, allow the tire to deflate, then bounce or roll it around a little to let the tube move inside the tire. Install the valve core and inflate, and you should be good to go. I suppose we can now get into a discussion about the best scent for the talcum powder.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 05/04/13 at 08:24:47

If the talcum powder gets underneath the rim strip it might move around some while you are putting the tube and tire back in place.  If the rim strip is an old one that is not very elastic anymore, it'll likely move even more.  You'll have to pay close attention to make sure it is in place before seating the tire.

I'd recommend all those things Charon said, but I always use new rim strips, and make sure none of the talcum powder gets underneath the rim strip.  The talcum powder's main value is to let the tube get comfortable inside the tire.  

Another tip is to inflate the tube a bit (just up to normal size) and let it sit for a while before installing.  That way it might shed some wrinkles/folds, and get used to the idea of being round.

Another tip is to heat the tire before installing.  Let it sit out in the sun for 20 minutes before you install it.  It'll be a lot more flexible for a few minutes.  No sunlight?,... put it in garbage bag, and keep the bag inflated with a hair dryer or small space heater for 10 - 20 minutes.  A cardboard box large enough to hold the tire will do as well.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:42:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › inner tube,tire question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.