Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Dyna muffler swap
Reply #16 - 03/29/13 at 22:44:05

Serowbot wrote on 03/28/13 at 23:14:34:
Texas is just plain weird...
...pipes just don't seem to blue down there... Huh...

Oh yes they do, haven't you see the pics of my bike when it had the Jardine on it when I first bought it last year.  It had some nice blueing on it. After changing out the Jardine to the long reverse cone emgo and lots of riding in 100+°F temps my header started getting some nice blue and gold hints as well up near the jug. Before you ask yes my bike has be re-jetted properly.

Oh and to the OP if you do get a deal on a set of the right Dyna muffs,  I might just split the price with ya if they are in good condition.  I'm still looking for one myself but most of the ones I've seen on evil bay that have the baffle still intact and in good visual shape as well, I think they are asking way to much.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #17 - 03/30/13 at 16:04:36

Like I said before, I went to a Harley Dealership and said I needed a stock muffler for Aida's bike.  Told them what it was and how it worked.  They pointed me at a large rack of them, and it was $20.  And I got to pick whatever I wanted.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #18 - 03/31/13 at 16:24:24

houstonbofh wrote on 03/30/13 at 16:04:36:
Like I said before, I went to a Harley Dealership and said I needed a stock muffler for Aida's bike.  Told them what it was and how it worked.  They pointed me at a large rack of them, and it was $20.  And I got to pick whatever I wanted.

that would be nice, except the nearest HD dealer is over an hour away from me.  I live out in the sticks.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #19 - 03/31/13 at 21:41:53

rfw2003 wrote on 03/31/13 at 16:24:24:
houstonbofh wrote on 03/30/13 at 16:04:36:

that would be nice, except the nearest HD dealer is over an hour away from me.  I live out in the sticks.

An excuse for a nice ride... Smiley

IP Logged
BobWd
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/01/13 at 14:42:28

I have bought 2 Harley mufflers from a local customizing shop in Killeen, Tx for $5 bucks each. They have shelves of them.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #21 - 04/01/13 at 14:44:50

BobWd wrote on 04/01/13 at 14:42:28:
I have bought 2 Harley mufflers from a local customizing shop in Killeen, Tx for $5 bucks each. They have shelves of them.

you could probably make a few bucks selling them here on the forums if they are selling that cheap

I know I'd buy one from ya since I don't have any locally available.

R.F.

IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 04/19/13 at 17:16:56

Does anyone have a tip for removing the heat shield bolt?  The part of the shield the bolt goes through is too tight to fit a wrench or socket over the bolt head.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #23 - 04/19/13 at 18:06:01

I just took mine off two days ago and had no issue getting a socket on there, do different years have different heat shield setups?

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 04/20/13 at 13:16:36

I had to trim and cut some parts to get it off.  I removed the right foot peg bolts to get the whole exhaust pipe off.  Can someone tell me the proper torque for the foot peg bolts for when I go to put them back on?  I'm headed to the hardware store to find some bolts that will fit the HD muffler.  The ones I took off the Suzuki have too tall heads.  I'll probably get some panhead bolts.  I'll probably pay the extra for stainless, too.  It was a pain to get some of those screws and nuts off.

IP Logged
paw712
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 04/20/13 at 18:09:11

I'm also wondering how some of you re-used your stock heat shield for the slip on piece?  The point where my HD muffler would be fully seated on the header pipe is right where the opening is for the bolts to fit into the track.  The muffler is also forward so much that the second bolt can't be used.  I think I will have a muffler shop custom a piece for me on Monday.  There's a shop across the street from where I work and they're usually reasonable and do good work.  I just need to decide if I want the 3 1/2" or 7" piece like I've seen others have made.  I will probably bring the whole pipe with me so they can fit them.  If I just have is slipped on do I still need clamps?  I don't want it all welded into one piece and I'd like to be able to adjust it nice with not additional stress on the header.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 10:43:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dyna muffler swap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.