Muffler Lollipop Mod (Read 238 times)
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Muffler Lollipop Mod
04/17/13 at 18:24:44

I have a Dyna muffler sans baffle, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with lollipops. I had a buddy who was into older Harleys and loved running straight pipes and swapping lollipops since they were cheap, quick and easy to mod ( would love to pick his brain, but lost contact with him some years ago) The Dyna has a 1 3/4" I.D. and I was wondering what size I should start with and if it matters where in the pipe it goes.  

Thanks in advance  Wink

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Muffler Lollipop Mod
Reply #1 - 04/17/13 at 23:25:52

Lollipop? REally? Maybe a bit of an explanation is in order,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/17/13 at 23:56:23

a lollypop is a washer that pivots open and closed on a shaft... so that it partially blocks airflow, and reduces noise...
It's no substitute for a real baffle... if it was, all mufflers would have them, because it would be cheaper and easier... (heck,.. we wouldn't even have mufflers... just restricted, exhaust tubes)...
A lolly would be difficult in a Dyna muffler, because it has a baffle chamber... (the pivot shaft would have to go through it)...

I did have the baffle plate (a solid plate in the middle of the Dyna muff).. blow out on my bike... and to temporarily fix it,... I hammered a huge nut into the center of the chamber...
It was still way too loud, so I threaded a bolt into the nut... That helped a lot...
... but, still too loud for me... so I got a new muff...

(plus,.. I was a bit afraid that I might shoot somebody if I backfired)... Grin...

Lollipop's are bootlegger tech... they would run quiet in town, and open up if chased...
... or that's the story I heard...
... but,... they really don't flow like a muffler should,... and wide open, they will probably burn out an exhaust valve...
... a bootlegger didn't care... as long as he got away...

Supertrapp's are basically lollipop tech... no flow, just an adjustable blockage...
Tongue...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #3 - 04/18/13 at 04:19:32

Pic of a lollipop, don't suck on it   Grin

Regular home made one not a Thunder Torque

Thunder Torque Inserts, wonder if their data is anywhere near true-
http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/Thunder-Torque-Inserts-118-Model-Family-DK-TT...

LOL

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 04/18/13 at 05:32:23

Serowbot wrote on 04/17/13 at 23:56:23:
a lollypop is a washer that pivots open and closed on a shaft... so that it partially blocks airflow, and reduces noise...
It's no substitute for a real baffle... if it was, all mufflers would have them, because it would be cheaper and easier... (heck,.. we wouldn't even have mufflers... just restricted, exhaust tubes)...
A lolly would be difficult in a Dyna muffler, because it has a baffle chamber... (the pivot shaft would have to go through it)...

I did have the baffle plate (a solid plate in the middle of the Dyna muff).. blow out on my bike... and to temporarily fix it,... I hammered a huge nut into the center of the chamber...
It was still way too loud, so I threaded a bolt into the nut... That helped a lot...
... but, still too loud for me... so I got a new muff...

(plus,.. I was a bit afraid that I might shoot somebody if I backfired)... Grin...

Lollipop's are bootlegger tech... they would run quiet in town, and open up if chased...... or that's the story I heard...
... but,... they really don't flow like a muffler should,... and wide open, they will probably burn out an exhaust valve...
... a bootlegger didn't care... as long as he got away...

Supertrapp's are basically lollipop tech... no flow, just an adjustable blockage...
Tongue...

Not quite correct.

In the 1930's and '40s they were very popular in Europe, where big singles (350 and 500s) and the odd twin  would often have a "sports" version with, among things, a lollipop as the OEM silencer on an otherwise straight pipe.

See this 1929 Moto Guzzi Sport 13, you can clearly see the rod operated drum brake, and the black sheath for the cable operated lollipop.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 04/18/13 at 07:21:51

Toes:

I think you could easily restore the operation of you DYNA muffler, with just a few tools.

One possibilty is to find an engine block freeze plug that is a snug fit into the muffler.  You could drive it up the exhaust pipe to a point midway between the holes a the front of the muffler....and the holes at the back of the muffler.  If you look up the tailpipe you will see where the orignal plug is either drilled out.....or the small gap of solid metal between the holes where the plug used to be.

Another possible fix is to find (or make) two cupped washers that are a snug fit in the tailpipe.  Place the washers together with the outer edges touching - and a space between the inners sides....and place a bolt and nut through them.  Then insert this assembly in the tailpipe at the proper locaiton - and tighten the nut/bolt with a socket and extension from each end.  As the center of the washers are drawn together the washer will expand and tighten in the baffle.  THis may only work with washer that are thin and can deform easily.

And maybe the easiset method.....would be if part of the original plug is in place and has only been drilled out (not driven out).  In this case you can get a freeze plug that fits snugly and drive it down the intake side of the pipe until it butts up agains the remnants of the original plug.    

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 04/18/13 at 07:34:50

My memory of the "lollipop" was called the "Snuff or Not".

http://tomstoys.50webs.com/snuff.html

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #7 - 04/18/13 at 08:08:28

Nice Guzzi mpescatori   Wink

Dave thanks for the info, I'll take a better look through the pipe and assess my options of blocking off the center  Smiley

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #8 - 04/20/13 at 12:52:04

So on your advise Dave I went out and got a telescopic inspection mirror and checked out the inside of the Dyna muffler.  It seems however they punched out the divider the original welds from the factory were left, I measured it at around 1 1/4" and got a high walled freeze plug in that size. It took a bit of patience but I got it in there pretty good, the chamber is tapered getting smaller from the inlet to the outlet so I don't see it coming loose.  I went and had my buddy Lee make another intermediate pipe today with revised angles and lengths, I have to have him expand the inlet side a bit, but the length and angles are spot on now  Smiley

Thanks for the advise  Wink

« Last Edit: 06/16/14 at 03:54:19 by ToesNose »  

IP Logged
JPSBOBBER
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Quebec, Canada
Reply #9 - 04/20/13 at 13:27:44

Why don't you try an electric cutout ??

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #10 - 04/20/13 at 16:00:25

The $0.69 freeze plug worked just fine no need to try anything else  Cool

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/20/13 at 19:15:29

ToesNose wrote on 04/20/13 at 16:00:25:
The $0.69 freeze plug worked just fine no need to try anything else  Cool

Dont just press in the freeze plug even if it is tight ... I lost one 3 years ago ... I tacked the next one in ... lasted through my getting rear ended and beyond.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #12 - 04/21/13 at 04:24:49

Srinath how did you tack weld something 8" deep in a 1 1/4" hole?  Shocked

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 12:39:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Muffler Lollipop Mod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.