Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Electrical problem. She won't even try to crank (Read 779 times)
DavidOfMA

Getting back in gear
after a long time
away

Beverly, MA
Re: Electrical problem. She won't even try to cran
Reply #15 - 03/20/13 at 22:15:48

JRLeathercraft wrote on 03/20/13 at 14:03:13:
This might sound crazy - but how old is the battery?

Try giving it a charge.

Jay

OP says he bought and installed a new battery:
Quote:
9) Bought and installed a brand new battery. (The old one dropped from 12V to 10v when I turned the ignition key to the "on" position) The new one drops from 12.8v to 12.2v (much better).

- David
  IP Logged
drivingmenuts
YaBB Newbies

1997 Suzuki LS650
Savage

San Francisco, CA
Reply #16 - 03/22/13 at 00:56:48

Yes!!!! I finally got the bike to turn over! Turns out my problem was the "side stand relay" which is on the left side of the bike, near the horn and ignition coil. I had originally disregarded it because I'd assumed it was a turn signal relay. But thanks to people's advice, and Bobberts thorough run down of the electrical system, I realized it was actually a safety relay that supplies power directly to the kill switch. AND I fixed it by accident... I took it off to check for continuity, and at first I had a bad reading. THEN i dropped it. Checked it again, and the reading was good! I guess that drop knocked some things into place.

Lessons learned:  
1) Don't assume you know what a component is. ALWAYS refer to a good wiring diagram.
2) Give your relays a tap or two before tearing into the harness and pulling your hair out.

Next steps:

Put the ignition cap back on and test for a spark. If I get a good spark, I will take out my jumper wires used to bypass the safety switches, one by one, and keep checking to make sure it all works. Then start her up, tune her up, and hand her back over to what will be a very happy girl.  Grin

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #17 - 03/23/13 at 04:08:46

Glad to hear you resolved the problem before pulling all your hair out   Grin

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
drivingmenuts
YaBB Newbies

1997 Suzuki LS650
Savage

San Francisco, CA
Reply #18 - 03/25/13 at 19:10:27

Ok, got the starter to turn over, and checked for a spark... no spark. Progress... but more tests needed! Ah.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 03/26/13 at 07:25:54

When you get this thing going, you Should get the Full ON "Knight in Shining Armor who saved the damsel in distress" thank you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
drivingmenuts
YaBB Newbies

1997 Suzuki LS650
Savage

San Francisco, CA
Reply #20 - 04/05/13 at 18:39:47

Ok, I'm stuck. I'm not getting a spark. Tested the ignition coil and it's within specs and is receiving 12V. The pickups tested within spec. I'm afraid the problem is the terribly expensive TCI box. Before I go buying one, I want to be sure. Is there anyone in the San Francisco area that would be willing to let me swap their good TCI box with my potentially bad one? Will only take 30 seconds. I'll buy you a beer? Give you a few bucks? Any takers? Undecided

IP Logged
drivingmenuts
YaBB Newbies

1997 Suzuki LS650
Savage

San Francisco, CA
Reply #21 - 04/05/13 at 18:41:44

Oh, and of course by "swap" I don't mean swap forever. I mean I want to put your good TCI box on my bike and see if my bike gets a spark. Then I will give you back your box. Grin

IP Logged
drivingmenuts
YaBB Newbies

1997 Suzuki LS650
Savage

San Francisco, CA
Reply #22 - 04/20/13 at 20:50:56

Ok. I went through all the electric, AGAIN, and I had a feeling my no spark issue was a faulty TCI box. Luckily I found one on Ebay for $40!! Put it in and and I got a spark. I hate being right all the time...  Grin

NEW PROBLEM: I got her running, all tuned up and ready to ride. I checked the charging system and it's fine (charges at 14V) And then I noticed the gas leak.

When the bike is running, gas POURS out of the air box breather hose. (The one dangling under the battery box, with the removable cap)

Opened up the air box and it's totally dry. No gas in the air box. I'm hoping this is some kind of hose routing issue, as I'd rather not pull the carb.

Anyone familiar with this?

IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #23 - 04/21/13 at 05:42:55

Im  gonna say its the clutch switch.... had the same problem with mine, try jumping it with a piece of wire and it might just fire up.  Good luck

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
savagerider87

Riding a quality
Japanese machine
since '13

Northern NY
Reply #24 - 04/21/13 at 05:47:03

drivingmenuts wrote on 04/20/13 at 20:50:56:
Ok. I went through all the electric, AGAIN, and I had a feeling my no spark issue was a faulty TCI box. Luckily I found one on Ebay for $40!! Put it in and and I got a spark. I hate being right all the time...  Grin

NEW PROBLEM: I got her running, all tuned up and ready to ride. I checked the charging system and it's fine (charges at 14V) And then I noticed the gas leak.

When the bike is running, gas POURS out of the air box breather hose. (The one dangling under the battery box, with the removable cap)

Opened up the air box and it's totally dry. No gas in the air box. I'm hoping this is some kind of hose routing issue, as I'd rather not pull the carb.

Anyone familiar with this?

ok ignore my last reply, sounds like a stuck needle valve in the carb try tapping on the side of the carb lightly, but if that doesn't help youll have to give it a good cleaning

1987 650 F Jardine exhaust,custom leather lever covers,and Corbin seat
2014 Star Bolt R-Spec
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 23:37:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Electrical problem. She won't even try to crank

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.