Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Bike not running right after rebuild. Ideas? (Read 310 times)
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Bike not running right after rebuild. Ideas?
04/19/13 at 18:40:08

Ok lets see who can figure out what I messed up!
First let me explain the changes I have made to the bike:
Ok, so I bought a 96 engine for my 87 savage. I really wanted the five speed. Also my 87 was clunking hard when I shut it down so I wanted a post 95 engine so it would have the torque limiter assembly in the starter idle gear. (Turns out on my 87 the one way starter clutch was froze up and siezed to the hub of the starter driven gear! But that's another story) However, it would not be just an easy swap out. The 96 engine's right crank half had a hairline crack in the bottom and leaked enough so that I couldn't run it as is. Therefore I needed to completly disassemble both engines so I could install the right crankcase half from my 87 engine on the 96 engine.  
I used Hondabond HT to seal the two crank halves and put in new gaskets and cleaned everything good while it was apart. Also I needed to swap Magneto rotors to retain my stock 87 ignition. Thanks to forum member Dave I was able to borrow his rotor puller tool and saved about $50! After the engine was back together it was time for the Dyna muffler swap I've been wanting to do. Thanks to Serowbots awesome post on Dyna mufflers it sure makes the swap easier to tackle. I ended up getting a 10 degree offset adapter pipe made up at my local exhaust shop to connect the header to the muffler.
Next I had to swap carburetors. When I got the 87 savage, it had sat in a barn in New Hampshire for ten years and the carb was a mess. The pilot screw was froze and the the slot on the top of the screw was stripped. The float and bowl were covered in green slime and just reeked. So to save time getting the bike on the road I picked up a carb on ebay and have run that up until now. That being said, I wanted to put the stock carb back in the bike because it came stock with a 155 main jet which I figured would be better with the Dyna muffler. Also the one I have been running is a California model and the pilot air jets are different so I wanted to get back to the original carburetor. I ended up drilling a small hole in the pilot screw and using an easy out to back it out. then I thouroughly cleaned and reassembled the carb.
Now let me explain the way the bike ran when I finally got it all back together.
Fully charged newer AGM battery.
Fresh gas
Clean plug with good spark

Choked it and hit the starter button, It fired immediately, but was running roughly. It absolutely would not idle, but, I could keep it running by constantly working the throttle. Every time I tried to get an idle it stalled and backfired loudly. When it would run it was backfiring, and misfiring and very rough. The closest I could get to an idle was about 1700-1800rpms and very very rough and all over the place. If I opened it up it would rev up and ran slightly better, but, still didn't feel right. I had a fan on it the whole time I was working on it running to keep from overheating. Clue: It ran as though it were lean trying to die and backfiring, but, it was puffing black smoke!
Now for total disclosure, I have found the problem!
Let's hear some guesses and ideas. You guys are always so good at helping newbs with their bike issues that when I finally figured out what I had done my first thought was whether any of the forum members will be able to diagnose by reading my description. Can't wait to read replies. Smiley

savage_motor_tear_down_013.JPG

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Re: Bike not running right after rebuild. Ideas?
Reply #1 - 04/19/13 at 19:15:15

Sounds like you mixed up which rotor was which and put the newer one back on instead of the 87's so the ignition timing was off.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 04/19/13 at 21:49:44

I was gonna' guess timing, too...
I guess there's a lot of options,... as deep as you went,... but, I'd start with timing...

Glad you got it figured out,... anyway... Smiley...

...I have a sneaking suspicion,... this is a trick question... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 04/19/13 at 22:10:24

Stock petcock... yeah that's it.   Grin

wrong idle mixture screw or forgot to adjust.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 04/20/13 at 02:06:03

Hmmmm ....   Everything is a joke now, isn't it.

Let's play guessing games about my torn apart & put back together with mixed parts from across the years engine.

And I already know what's really wrong with it, let's see what you can guess.

No thanks ---    Tongue

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #5 - 04/20/13 at 06:00:52

Lighten up Frances  Smiley life is short, seize the day.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #6 - 04/20/13 at 07:19:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 04/20/13 at 02:06:03:
Hmmmm ....   Everything is a joke now, isn't it.

Let's play guessing games about my torn apart & put back together with mixed parts from across the years engine.

And I already know what's really wrong with it, let's see what you can guess.

No thanks ---    Tongue

Aw come on Oldfeller! Your spoiling the fun :'(  Actually it was you who inspired me to produce this post. Well kinda, I spent an hour trying to find the actual post but I can't. Anyway in this post I mentioned to you that I would have to split my crankcase to fix my leak. You replied that when I made the repair to take pictures so I could post it on the forum. Well I did take pictures but I don't have an external site to upload them to and unless I missed something, I can only include 1 photo with a post. So I decided to present it the way I did. Besides, I really do love reading other folks interpretations of bike issues. Ironically, I was hoping you would reply. Gotta admit you caught me off guard, maybe this wasn't the right way for me to present the repair? Anyway, I hope you will reconsider and take a shot at it...you know you want to. Smiley
I will reveal later today ok OF?

savage_motor_tear_down_003.JPG

His: 1987 LS650F stock except for 98 engine, Dyna muffler. Hers: 2008 S40 with factory bags, windshield and sissybar.
  IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #7 - 04/20/13 at 07:24:20

rtf2003: Nope, used the correct rotor

Serow: Nope not timing (seat looks great by the way)

Verslagen: Nope, but I did forget something!

savage_motor_tear_down_008.JPG

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 04/20/13 at 08:16:29

...forgot to connect the vac line?... Grin...

IP Logged
87 savage

Gone riding!

Maine
Reply #9 - 04/20/13 at 08:26:04

Serowbot wrote on 04/20/13 at 08:16:29:
...forgot to connect the vac line?... Grin...

Nope! Although I've done that a couple times after pulling the tank. It was running much worse than the vac line off would produce.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 04/20/13 at 08:58:26

You forgot to put water in the radiator? You got the throttle and clutch cable reversed? You put beer in the fuel tank and drank the gas instead?

What did i win?  Grin  

You forgot the pilot screw?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
docwho
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #11 - 04/20/13 at 09:02:04

forgot the header seal.

IP Logged
apache snow-FSO
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 04/20/13 at 09:11:34

How about a hint. Its something to do with the carb I'll bet.

2012 Honda Shadow Spirit

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 04/20/13 at 09:58:52

... forgot to air up the tires?... Huh...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #14 - 04/20/13 at 10:00:41

You forgot to put fuel in the tank?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 14:16:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike not running right after rebuild. Ideas?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.