Send Topic Print
Hale To The Chief (Read 522 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Re: Hale To The Chief
Reply #30 - 01/27/13 at 09:21:59

"For me, I think that owning a battlefield ready assault rifle has crossed that line."  I agree but thats not what the legislation is about. Battlefield ready assult rifles are fully automatic. The legisltion is about semi automatic rifles. Probably 3/4 of us on this forum grew up with a Marlin 60 or a Ruger 10/22. We shot squirrels and rabbits and beercans, never pointed it at anyone, took one out of the chamber when we got home with it. Where I lived it was part of growing up. I want my grandsons to be able to do the same if they're interested.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #31 - 01/27/13 at 09:40:20

Starlifter wrote on 01/26/13 at 13:55:57:
At the heart of the issue is where do we draw the line between a musket and say an RPG, a flame thrower, anti-aircraft guns, hand grenades, surface to air missiles etc. etc.

For me, I think that owning a battlefield ready assault rifle has crossed that line.

For one, fully automatic weapons (machine guns), RPGs, AA guns, grenades, missiles, etc. are all ready tightly regulated by the National Firearms Act and NOT readily available.

My AR15 is a semi auto rifle and IS NOT a battle rifle, it also has plenty of sporting uses: competitions, hunting, home defense. Get your facts straight and read all of the current laws, National Firearms Act of 1935, Gun Control Act of 1968. Firearms, NFA weapons, etc are all ready well regulated. And as far as a battle ready rifle, I guess you would like to see everyone turn in their bolt action rifles too since they are all based off of military issued rifles. The funny thing is most (if not all) hunting rifles are way more powerful than the AR is.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #32 - 01/28/13 at 15:43:13

Well, no one is trying to "take away your guns". Undecided

Really?  http://www.therightscoop.com/dianne-feinstein-in-1995-i-would-have-confiscate...

We all know that a HELL OF A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!

And this is the second proof I have posted to your BS claims, and you have yet to answer the first one.  Either put up or shut up and apologize for calling the NRA a terrorist organization.

And I would much rather be shot than to have my head slowly sawn off while alive.  Look at those pictures again.  That is pure human evil, and no guns required.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #33 - 01/28/13 at 16:29:50

Jerry, as you are an attorney, I would very much like to hear your opinion on this volatile gun issue. Shocked

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 01/29/13 at 06:18:30

houstonbofh wrote on 01/28/13 at 15:43:13:
Well, no one is trying to "take away your guns". Undecided

Really?  http://www.therightscoop.com/dianne-feinstein-in-1995-i-would-have-confiscate...

We all know that a HELL OF A LOT OF PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO TAKE OUR GUNS!

And this is the second proof I have posted to your BS claims, and you have yet to answer the first one.  Either put up or shut up and apologize for calling the NRA a terrorist organization.

And I would much rather be shot than to have my head slowly sawn off while alive.  Look at those pictures again.  That is pure human evil, and no guns required.

I'm still waiting to hear back on this one:

[quote author=1627342737332732460 link=1357999747/75#78 date=1359402815]Starlifter wrote on 01/24/13 at 07:00:44:
"Confiscate"....Bullsh!t.

http://naugatuck.patch.com/articles/gun-hearing-shaping-up-to-be-showdown-c4b...

In addition to organizing a rally in Hartford on Feb. 14, CAGV has proposed legislation that:
Quote:
Requires that all weapons defined by law as assault weapons must be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or removed from Connecticut
Does not grandfather existing weapons
Large capacity ammunition magazines of more than seven rounds are to be destroyed, turned in to law enforcement, or removed from the state

You may say I am "parroting" again but I call it citation.

--Steve

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #35 - 01/29/13 at 06:37:28

Star -

My views as an attorney aren't worth a whole lot.  I'm neither a Constitutional lawyer nor scholar of the subject.  Frankly, Con Law was one of my most disliked course in law school - the Supreme Court is all over the place from one generation to the next.
Take segregated schools for example.  In the late 1800s, spearate was OK so long as the physical facilities were "equal".  In 1954, the Court said that separate is inherently unequal.  I don't disagree with that, but I use it as an example of how the Court shifts from time to time.

I'm not sure that the 2nd amendment protects much.  As I said in a lengthy, earlier post, I think the Framers were talking about people being armed to defend themselves against a tyrannical gov't.  Since the new republic ( not a democracy, by the way ) was totally untried, nobody really knew if one bad gov't might just be being replaced by another, and perhaps the citizenry needed to be ready to revolt again.

But that was in an era when the only difference in armament between armies and common folks was that armies had cannons.  Yet, cannon were fairly small, easily mobile behind a team of horses, and could be stolen from the army and used by the revolters.  Basically, both armies and common folks had muzzle loading rifles and primitive pistols.  So, making sure that Farmer Jones had a musket put him on equal footing with a soldier.

Obviously, today is much different - we, the people, don't have RPGs, tanks, fighter jets, and on and on.  So trying to say that the 2nd amendment assures me the ability to arm myself against a tyrannical gov't just doesn't hold water anymore.

But, was that the purpose of the 2nd amendment?  No one realy knows 230 some years later.  That's why I dislike constitutional law as a subject - nothing is clear, nothing is fixed in time.  You can make a valid argument that covers many different course of action, or many different theories of what the words mean.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #36 - 01/29/13 at 09:34:48

JE this is brilliant. No wonder you have a high regard round here even among your opponents in debate.

Thanks. (No C word - As a courtesy to your very eye opening post)
Srinath.

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/29/13 at 06:37:28:
Star -

My views as an attorney aren't worth a whole lot.  I'm neither a Constitutional lawyer nor scholar of the subject.  Frankly, Con Law was one of my most disliked course in law school - the Supreme Court is all over the place from one generation to the next.
Take segregated schools for example.  In the late 1800s, spearate was OK so long as the physical facilities were "equal".  In 1954, the Court said that separate is inherently unequal.  I don't disagree with that, but I use it as an example of how the Court shifts from time to time.

I'm not sure that the 2nd amendment protects much.  As I said in a lengthy, earlier post, I think the Framers were talking about people being armed to defend themselves against a tyrannical gov't.  Since the new republic ( not a democracy, by the way ) was totally untried, nobody really knew if one bad gov't might just be being replaced by another, and perhaps the citizenry needed to be ready to revolt again.

But that was in an era when the only difference in armament between armies and common folks was that armies had cannons.  Yet, cannon were fairly small, easily mobile behind a team of horses, and could be stolen from the army and used by the revolters.  Basically, both armies and common folks had muzzle loading rifles and primitive pistols.  So, making sure that Farmer Jones had a musket put him on equal footing with a soldier.

Obviously, today is much different - we, the people, don't have RPGs, tanks, fighter jets, and on and on.  So trying to say that the 2nd amendment assures me the ability to arm myself against a tyrannical gov't just doesn't hold water anymore.

But, was that the purpose of the 2nd amendment?  No one realy knows 230 some years later.  That's why I dislike constitutional law as a subject - nothing is clear, nothing is fixed in time.  You can make a valid argument that covers many different course of action, or many different theories of what the words mean.

IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #37 - 01/29/13 at 11:07:51

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 01/29/13 at 06:37:28:
Frankly, Con Law was one of my most disliked course in law school

Don't worry...  I think Constitutional law is one of the most disliked subjects in Washington as well...

On second thought, worry.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #38 - 01/29/13 at 17:47:14

Yes Jerry, your insight and reason are very much appreciated.

I will never understand why the gun-wads get hysterical at any even mention of gun regulation... No one wants to "take away their guns". All we ask is that there be reasonable regulations on firearms.

Even with that, America will still be the most "armed to the teeth" fearful, frightened, and paranoid nation on the earth.

How did we ever turn into a nation of COWARDS whom must have lethal weapons just to walk out to their mailboxes?...I just don't get it.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
houstonbofh

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Houston, TX
Reply #39 - 01/29/13 at 21:21:16

Starlifter wrote on 01/29/13 at 17:47:14:
No one wants to "take away their guns".

This is the second time you have said that, and the second time I have refuted it.  People do, and we know it, and we will not let them.  What ever that takes.

And you still have not apologized for the NRA terrorist comment, or found some pictures to refute mine.

Just standing on a chair and shouting at the top of your lungs does not make you right.  It makes you 6.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #40 - 01/29/13 at 22:32:42

People are getting fed up. There have been over a hundred sherriffs down here in the south who have said they will not enforce any new federal gun laws. Star dont you just love us good ol southern boys? I loved the Black Police Chief of either Chicago or Detroit who said he will no longer force someone out of their home due to a foreclosure. Congress has a 80some percent disaproval rating, ya think they want us armed?

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #41 - 01/30/13 at 02:25:13

New York made a map of where every gun owner lived signified by a orange dot. Texas decided to follow suit except the whole state was colored orange. Except fur their duh,duh, dud, govenor you gotta love em.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #42 - 01/30/13 at 02:48:37

Starlifter wrote on 01/29/13 at 17:47:14:
Yes Jerry, your insight and reason are very much appreciated.

I will never understand why the gun-wads get hysterical at any even mention of gun regulation... No one wants to "take away their guns". All we ask is that there be reasonable regulations on firearms.

Even with that, America will still be the most "armed to the teeth" fearful, frightened, and paranoid nation on the earth.

How did we ever turn into a nation of COWARDS whom must have lethal weapons just to walk out to their mailboxes?...I just don't get it.
Star darn it we're getting old. I've said it several times I didnt start locking my doors till the 90's. Whether we like it or not things have changed. Sometimes carrying a gun is smart like wearing a seatbelt. It doesnt make you a coward, its just common sense. I've tried to convince Sri of that. 20 years ago my place wasnt eat up with coyotes. Now they're everywher even attacking young and old citizens. They killed my daughters beagle. A bear was killed 1 mile from my house but what worries me the most is a gang of bangers moved 2 doors down. Gas has been dissapearing from my truck ever since they moved in. I'll get em, its just gonna take a little time and planning. One of em going to have to have stitches in  his hand before long. He'll be bleeding so bad I can track him home. Thats one house I hope they foreclose on soon. In certain neighborhoods in certain hours  carrying a gun doesnt make you a coward, it gives you a chance to see the sun come up tomorrow.

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #43 - 01/30/13 at 17:14:01

As per the NRA we just need to enforce all the laws on the books ... as in get rid of the loopholes and enforce it ? I guess not.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 01/31/13 at 06:46:50

srinath wrote on 01/30/13 at 17:14:01:
As per the NRA we just need to enforce all the laws on the books ... as in get rid of the loopholes and enforce it ? I guess not.

Cool.
Srinath.

The laws worked.
Adam Lanza could not purchase a rifle because of the necessary 2 week waiting period to have a background check through NICS.

What law stops him from killing someone?
The law against murdering people and, depending on who you ask, "Thou shalt not kill".

What stops him from stealing a gun?
There are laws regarding penalties for this as well.

If you are determined enough you will find a way and if you have no regards for the laws of man then nothing will stop you.

--Steve

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:21:46

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Hale To The Chief

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.