Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP) (Read 210 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP)
01/01/13 at 09:17:11

I have almost 3 grand on my bike already, had the first service covered at what, 400, 600 miles? Thought I'd change the oil as my rides are every day short ones (26 miles total commute) and its cold and wet. Not sure if that strains the lube action or not, but I just got a hankering to get to know my gals workings a little more intimate and I have some good multi weight 5-30 sitting here. Anything I should do or look for? I know wet weather and air filters don't go well together, think I should peek in there too?

Thanks gang and hope all have many safe miles in this new happy new year....

« Last Edit: 01/01/13 at 10:19:02 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: First oil change.....
Reply #1 - 01/01/13 at 10:03:34

You need to be careful about what that 5W-30 oil is.....not all modern oils are compatible with our old technology engine.  Modern energy efficient and reduced emissions oils could have friction modifiers that will make your clutch slip - and reduced ZDDP levels that may not be compatible with the cam and rockers.

Here is the info you need to consider:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #2 - 01/01/13 at 10:09:34

Thanks Dave, this oil is from the bike shop, I'll post the particulars before I add it just to be sure. I was wondering if STP might help, or does it coat the clutch too much?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 01/01/13 at 10:14:38

Raydawg,

Have fun with your oil war.   Remember, facts and sources are required  when oil warring.

I am calling you out on your oil from the bike shop -- where is this bike shop that recommends 5w-30 oil for a Savage?

What brand is this oil that "the bike shop recommended"?

I think you are just trolling for the chuckles of it, and if you can't back up your statements I will certainly lock your thread post haste.

Oil wars are sacred turf around here, not to be taken lightly.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Happy New Year everybody

STP indeed .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #4 - 01/01/13 at 10:22:18

Don't use the stp, and if that is Actevo, take it back to the bike shop, Actevo is repackaged Syntech car oil. Straight from the Castrol rep's mouth. Golden Spectro is Mobil 1 yellow/gold top car oil per their rep.

Savage clutch and cam are straight out of the 1970s. Plain old Delo, Rotella or similar is all you need. Even plain old cheap Super Tech 10W40 (get the pre-1986 formula) is fine.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP)
Reply #5 - 01/01/13 at 10:24:49

I suppose you could consider the wisdom of reading your Owner's Manual, which recommends 10W-40 oil, with JASO MA rating.

It has been a long time since I ran across the reference, but STP is said to be a "Viscosity Index Improver" or in plainer language an oil thickener. Using it is a more expensive way to make your oil a grade or two heavier. Far as I know, no manufacturer of either cars or motorcycles recommends additives of any type for either oil or fuel, with the exception of fuel stabilizers for machines kept in storage for relatively long times.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #6 - 01/01/13 at 11:38:08

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/01/13 at 10:14:38:

Raydawg,

Have fun with your oil war.   Remember, facts and sources are required  when oil warring.

I am calling you out on your oil from the bike shop -- where is this bike shop that recommends 5w-30 oil for a Savage?

What brand is this oil that "the bike shop recommended"?

I think you are just trolling for the chuckles of it, and if you can't back up your statements I will certainly lock your thread post haste.

Oil wars are sacred turf around here, not to be taken lightly.

Grin   Grin   Grin

Happy New Year everybody

STP indeed .....

Now c'mon OF, every cotten pick'n post ain't a troll of devious magnitude. Perhaps, a suggestion mind you, no need to bank it, but PERHAPS some of us greenies don't have/share your wisdom and expertise on the matter of cycles....so in other words, dumbing down a wee bit might provide dividends to the overall demeanor to the board. Lord knows if I had thin skin instead of leather, I might very well shrink away from posting, and the site, from my knuckles getting whacked
by an intolerant teacher, And sides, I was told as a wee grasshopper stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers.....
So, in all fairness, I wish you'd remove the "war" verbiage from my title, as I ask in sincerity. As to my STP question was because my Pa used it on all his motors and I never ever recall him having to rebuild a single one. Sorry if that ruffles the reasoning of some, can't do much about that, now other than shutting up, eh?

As I stated before, I will report the brand of oil before I change it, so please stay turned. I have to finish editing the photos I took of my wife's bead work that she sells on the INTERNET, then the rest of the day is mine  Cheesy

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #7 - 01/01/13 at 11:58:18

Here it is.....GN4 4-stroke motorcycle oil SAE 10W-40 SJ distributed by Honda has the MA rating ???? and meets JASO T 903;2006 and API performance.  

Well....proceed or what?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 01/01/13 at 12:03:53

verslagen1 wrote on 08/07/12 at 21:19:33:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/30/12 at 15:41:46:
If you need help with a mechanical problem... Ask your question in the Rubberside section...
We will need to know a bit about your bike, and you...
Year, Miles, modifications that apply to the problem.
Your mechanical experience, and let us know if English is not your first language...
Where you are located is helpful, too...
Also,...
What was done just before the bike started acting up, including filling up with gas.

Symptoms?
Ran fine for months, now it won't start, cuts out at speed, or what?

if its a clutch problem, what oil is in it?

1... Clymers has errors... Suzuki/Clymer Manual Errors

2... Owners will sell a bike rather than do maitenance... Cam Chain Adjuster check

3... Lot's of info in the tech section.  The link is in my sig where the orange is pointing.  Control F will help you find what you're looking for.

4... Don't ask about oil, not even where it goes.  Especially not to bill.

you were warned   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #9 - 01/01/13 at 12:24:47

Never add STP to a motorcycle engine, it's a friction reducer and could cause your clutch to slip, plus it would be difficult to remove.
Also, I would not use 5w-30 oil, 10w-30 works just fine in weather down to 40 degrees, colder than that is too cold to ride, IMO.
Everyone has their favorite oil, Bel-Ray makes an oil for big singles, called "Thumper oil" and at about $10 a liter it would be a good
choice. Also use a good oil filter, K&N or Hi-Flo.
You only need to change the oil once a year, use good stuff, the bike will last a long time.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #10 - 01/01/13 at 12:36:28

If you ignore all the research and expertise in previous threads here from the likes of Verslagen and Bouletard, we will think of you as a silly man.

Based on what these guys know (not their opinions, but what they know) I will never use anything other than Rotella T6 with a little Redline zddp additive (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565) added for insurance against tappet wear, etc.  I have multiple engineering degrees,... I have an FAA mech cert with A&P certs,.. I have about about 52 years and a third of a million miles of motorcycle building, riding, and maintaining experience.  I assess what they say as valid.

I have spoken.

Wink

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 01/01/13 at 13:08:47

Gyrobob wrote on 01/01/13 at 12:36:28:
If you ignore all the research and expertise in previous threads here from the likes of Verslagen and Bouletard, we will think of you as a silly man.

Based on what these guys know (not their opinions, but what they know) I will never use anything other than Rotella T6 with a little Redline zddp additive (http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344471565) added for insurance against tappet wear, etc.  I have multiple engineering degrees,... I have an FAA mech cert with A&P certs,.. I have about about 52 years and a third of a million miles of motorcycle building, riding, and maintaining experience.  I assess what they say as valid.

I have spoken.

Wink

No need to think, I readily admit....

I know I will heed the advice and use the recommended oil once my warranty expires for fear if anything did happen it might present a loophole for them to deny a claim. Just a little background to my paranoiac...I bought a brand spanking new Rebel and it only last 3000 miles and had to have the top-end replaced. Nothing but headaches and without a commuter in the summer for 3 weeks I was waiting in my cage for hours to and fro work in the ferry lines. Once I got it back, the clutch started to fail, ARG....bullet- proof  Honda's my butt-end. So, I am leery about straying away from the manuals recommendations at this point, for it was their discretion as to cover the other bike based on how they thought I treated it, etc....

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 01/01/13 at 13:21:00

OK, same question.  

What manual recommends 5w30 oil for a Savage engine?

and don't think we didn't notice you changing the weight on the oil 10w40 on us while our backs were turned

Grin

Limber up some, son.  This here is now a declared OIL WAR and we is all bored and you are merely the "most excellent excuse" for general mayhem now ....

Whether or not you intended to troll one up is a moot point, we gots us one now !!!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Reply #13 - 01/01/13 at 13:34:18

Well, there's those of us who ride and service our bikes.
And then there's genius's like reply #10 who like to brag how smart
they are. I guess you'll just have to follow the Suzuki manual,
but only use 2.2 liters of oil.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 01/01/13 at 14:35:42

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 01/01/13 at 13:21:00:

OK, same question.  

What manual recommends 5w30 oil for a Savage engine?

and don't think we didn't notice you changing the weight on the oil 10w40 on us while our backs were turned

Grin

Limber up some, son.  This here is now a declared OIL WAR and we is all bored and you are merely the "most excellent excuse" for general mayhem now ....

Whether or not you intended to troll one up is a moot point, we gots us one now !!!!

You turn your back on me then complain....HA.
B'sides I didn't know my grammar and punctuation was be scrutinized....  Tongue

So....all done, but know I have another question, stupid one too. When the bike is running the oil leaves the inspection window, yes, as its pumped through the head, etc. It only settles back once its off and setting in the bottom of the case, right?

darn....only 364 more days of understanding and cycling bliss to go this year  Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 19:49:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.