Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP) (Read 210 times)
MileHiRider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, Colorado
Re: OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP)
Reply #15 - 01/01/13 at 14:45:29

After the engine runs a while, turn it off and wait 3 or 4 min. for the oil
to settle, hold the bike straight-up and check the site-glass, the oil
level should be about in the middle.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #16 - 01/01/13 at 15:00:29

OK, that's better.   Gots to get yer juices flowing if you are going to tread the churned earth of an oil war ....  kelvar undies helps a bit too.

Suzuki Manual recommends what oil grade again?   SF?    

That's an issue you get when your owner's manual is over 20 years old and the grade of oil it recommends dropped off the face of the earth 15 years ago.

We are currently in the era of SN oils and all car oils ARE NOT SUITABLE FOR A SAVAGE AT ALL, PERIOD.   SJ isn't much better, a smidge or two better yes (1,000 PPM vs 800 PPM generally speaking).   SF back in the day had 1,350 to 1,500 PPM of ZDDP in it commonly, but SF had no minimum ZDDP requirement listed, just a 1,500 PPM max that was referred to but not enforced.  

So watch out for what is actually in a"claimed modern SF" oil as lots of them are showing up at 800 PPM and are just relabeled SJ through SL car oils .... remember, no minimum number was given as part of the SF standard.

Additional aggravation comes from expensive bike oils not always being suitable for the Savage as well.  

Example:    GN4 4-stroke motorcycle oil SAE 10W-40 SJ as distributed by Honda.  

Honda may well recommend this oil for their current bikes as they use roller cam followers and direct actuated buckets in their modern stuff and they may well get away with it.  

SJ grade means no more than 1,000 PPM of ZDDP and remember, older grades than SL didn't list an enforced minimum number on ZDDP.

But you don't see the old single cam with flat tappet Honda straight fours and the flat tappet old Goldwing groups recommending that oil, as they are in the exact same boat we are in.  

Antique Flat Tappet Rocker Arm Valve Trains ....   which require the old 1,350 plus high levels of ZDDP that were common in the SF era.

Even the old flat tappet Honda bike guys don't recommend Honda oil any more.  Bobistheoilguy has a Honda dude asking questions about Honda oil, you can catch some info from the Bob's boys concerning using Honda brand oil in Honda motorcycles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=14525...

Now, having said all that --- what does SuzukiSavage.com in their Tech Section recommend for oil for use in the 1980's designed Antique Flat Tappet Savage Engine?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #17 - 01/01/13 at 15:17:13

On the pantie level....I've no doubt I could keep up with you, but this other mumbo jumbo you toss at me makes my head hurt from trying to figger out what it is, HOWEVER, take heart (but leave me panties alone) a fog is starting to lift and I think I see what you mean....
Now what is it about those additives you site, how do they perform, you know, in the physical sense, do they cling and coat the parts better, a higher heat range, etc, without compromising the clutches ability to grab?
Why would a manufacturer risk warranty claims by not addressing the issue? I know you can only provide a supposition, but it makes me wonder, especially when you consider how much they pay to advertise and name recognition when this INTERNET can wipe out millions of dollars of "spin" with owners (us'ins) telling of their woes and disalusion of that (their) product via the WWW....

BTW....how you feel about yellow moons and purple hearts on yer panties?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 01/01/13 at 15:30:59

raydawg wrote on 01/01/13 at 15:17:13:
On the pantie level....I've no doubt I could keep up with you, but this other mumbo jumbo you toss at me makes my head hurt from trying to figger out what it is, HOWEVER, take heart (but leave me panties alone) a fog is starting to lift and I think I see what you mean....
Now what is it about those additives you site, how do they perform, you know, in the physical sense, do they cling and coat the parts better, a higher heat range, etc, without compromising the clutches ability to grab?
Why would a manufacturer risk warranty claims by not addressing the issue? I know you can only provide a supposition, but it makes me wonder, especially when you consider how much they pay to advertise and name recognition when this INTERNET can wipe out millions of dollars of "spin" with owners (us'ins) telling of their woes and disalusion of that (their) product via the WWW....

BTW....how you feel about yellow moons and purple hearts on yer panties?

Not trolling for trouble, are we?    Wink

No, you get no personal lessons -- go read the Tech Section.

BTW, this is your second offense of attempting to troll up trouble.  First offense was here:  http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=135233302201

Trouble we get enough of naturally, we don't need folks trying to create it just for their own jollies by dredging up upteen years worth of oil wars.

Thread is locked, Raydawg warned.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:42:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › OIL WAR   First oil change... (5w-30 and STP)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.