Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starter Interlock Switch Question (Read 266 times)
VRSCDX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Starter Interlock Switch Question
11/17/12 at 10:15:40

Time again to get smarter given the collective knowledge of this forum.  I'm doing quite a bit of work on a 2004.  I took apart the clutch lever on the left handlebar and noticed a dangling wire.  The starter interlock switch was unplugged.  Then I notice the previous owner jammed a piece of copper wire into the connector plug to jump the wires together as a bypass of the switch altogether.  I've checked my wire diagram, and it appears that one of these wires goes to the decompression controller and the other to the starter switch (I assume on the right handlebar).  Does anybody have any idea what this switch does when working properly or why the previous owner might have decided to jump or bypass this switch?????  THX in advance.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Starter Interlock Switch Question
Reply #1 - 11/17/12 at 11:22:55

When working properly,.. it prevents you from starting the bike, in gear...
When not working properly,... it just prevents you from starting the bike... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #2 - 11/17/12 at 12:33:46

When working properly, it prevents starter engagement unless the clutch is squeezed, whether in gear (kickstand up) or any gear including Neutral kickstand down. When not working correctly, it may either allow starts anytime just as if the switch is bypassed, or prevent starts altogether. It is often bypassed by people who "Don't like all these cursed safeties brought about by the Nanny State."

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
hotrodbobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 11/17/12 at 13:33:26

hi there,,, the clutch switch supplies power TO the control unit via the start switch, so the control unit can power the starter and decomp valve.  i have totaly rewired my bike so i know how it works.
hope this helps

IP Logged
VRSCDX
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 11/17/12 at 15:44:08

I think I will leave it bypassed.  But I'm going to bypass it properly and not shove a piece of copper wire in the plug to make a bridge.  I very often just like to walk up to a bike and start it to let it warm up while I dress for a ride.  I live in the Nanny State, so I would be inclinded to agree some of our safety issues are overboard.  But how else can our govt workers justify their jobs if they don't make new rules.  And when all the good rules are taken, people just make up dumb ones.  Though I have a couple of new CA bikes that don't have a "squeeze the clutch to start switch."

IP Logged
Boofer
Serious Thumper

Nearly too old.

N Ms
Reply #5 - 11/17/12 at 16:46:37

When working properly you can already crank this one in neutral with the clutch in and then let it out and get dressed. That's my usual method.  Smiley I always park in first, but it only takes a flick of the boot to hit neutral.

2001 Black, Spitfire windshield, Headlight upgrade, Sissy rack, Tool bag, Fork bag, Harley muffler, Memory foam seat, Crash bars. Hwy pegs, Raptor.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 11/17/12 at 17:09:56

Important safety info here... (okay, it's not that important,...)...
Just ranting mostly... Huh...
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353200728

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #7 - 11/17/12 at 17:30:38

My Kawasaki and my Yamaha are so wired that they will start with the clutch released if they are in Neutral, kickstand up or down. They do have clutch switches and will not start with the clutch released if they are in gear. I prefer that arrangement to Suzuki's. Both, like the Suzuki, kill the engine if the bike is shifted into gear with the sidestand down (or if the sidestand is put down while they are in gear).

Despite all the protestations about the Nanny State, both safety rules and safety interlocks are "written in blood." Both come about because people got hurt or killed. It is true that we learn from our mistakes, but when mistakes are fatal - and some are - the lessons are learned only by others. When they attempt to pass on the lessons, the FNG will say "I don't need no stinking regulations - I'm smarter than that." Draw your own conclusions.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 11/17/12 at 17:46:41

I'd bet you a donut, somebody died today trying to fix their toaster with a fork...
You can't fix stupid...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/17/12 at 18:42:28

Serowbot wrote on 11/17/12 at 17:46:41:
I'd bet you a donut, somebody died today trying to fix their toaster with a fork...
You can't fix stupid...

And,, even if they didnt Die,, one thing ya know,, he, uhh,, at least had a "close shave" or ( A before & after clue on Wheel of fortune)

A tooth Brush with Death.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 11/17/12 at 18:57:01

I've got over 350,000 motorcycle miles behind me.

Still, every two years or so, I'll put one of my bikes in gear and it'll quit....then I'll look down and see the kickstand extended.

Back in the pre-"nanny-state" era, about every two years or so, I'd happen to notice, as I was zinging down the road, that my kickstand had been left down.  I even (luckily) had said kickstand scrape into the retracted position every now and again!

I'm not a big fan of vacuum-operated petcocks, but I sort of like the kickstand safety interlocks.....

JMHO!  Your ride, your hide.....

« Last Edit: 11/08/14 at 11:52:08 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 11/17/12 at 19:08:55

If ya ditch the stand safety, consider a rubber finger that extends past the foot of the stand.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #12 - 11/17/12 at 21:54:51

Digger wrote on 11/17/12 at 18:57:01:

Still, every two years or so, I'll put one of my bikes in gear and it'll quit....then I'll look down and see the kickstand extended.

Back in the pre-"nanny-state" era, about every two years or so, I'd happen to notice, as I was zinging down the road, that my kickstand had been left down.  Even (luckily) had said kickstand scraped into the retracted position every now and again

I'm not a big fan of vacuum-operated petcocks, but I sort of like the kickstand safety interlocks.....

Digger,.. should it scare me that you an expert pilot?...

Oh, yea,.. I don't fly...
Can't handle anybody else being in control...
It's not that I'm better,...
I just prefer to leave my own kickstand down...
Grin...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 11/18/12 at 20:18:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/17/12 at 19:08:55:
If ya ditch the stand safety, consider a rubber finger that extends past the foot of the stand.

I rode an '81 GL1100 for over 125,000 miles.  It didn't have a safety cutout switch for the kickstand, but it did have one of those rubber fingers you speak of.

Saved me a time or two.....

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 11/18/12 at 20:20:33

Serowbot wrote on 11/17/12 at 21:54:51:
Digger wrote on 11/17/12 at 18:57:01:

Back in the pre-"nanny-state" era, about every two years or so, I'd happen to notice, as I was zinging down the road, that my kickstand had been left down.  Even (luckily) had said kickstand scraped into the retracted position every now and again

Digger,.. should it scare me that you an expert pilot?...

Oh, yea,.. I don't fly...
Can't handle anybody else being in control...
It's not that I'm better,...
I just prefer to leave my own kickstand down...
Grin...

Well, I tell people that I was a better pilot than I was a rider.....that's why I made my livin' in the cockpit.   Smiley

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/05/24 at 22:54:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Interlock Switch Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.