ZDDP Boosters (Read 187 times)
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
ZDDP Boosters
11/19/12 at 19:43:25

Hi,I am running a 10w-40 API SG/JASO MA based Semi Synthetic oil and noticed sometimes not always in top the clutch slips when I open up the throttle. The clutch doesnt slip in the lower gears when I gas it. I was reading one of the posts where Oldfeller is talking about ZDDP levels, and not to use oils that are JASO MA2 and JASO MB based oils. Do I need to use a additive? And if so how much do I need?

« Last Edit: 11/19/12 at 21:17:55 by paulmarshall »  
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: ZDDP Boosters
Reply #1 - 11/19/12 at 20:17:55

Hate to tell you this, but if your clutch is slipping there is no additive that will help. The ZDDP additive is a high-pressure additive, which helps to protect the cam/rocker arm interface.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #2 - 11/19/12 at 20:38:47

OK, Is it normal for the clutch to slip only in top when its in need of replacing?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 11/19/12 at 20:41:36

Its normal for a clutch to slip when there has been an oil used that has friction modifiers, or cable not adjustsed correctly. Does your clutch lever have free play?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #4 - 11/19/12 at 20:43:31

Yes the cable has plenty of play. I was reading one of Oldfellers posts and he mentioned that the clutch can be affected by engine oil.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 11/19/12 at 20:46:10

Yes, it sure can,, a cheap, effective oil is Rotella 15w40.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #6 - 11/19/12 at 20:50:19

OK great thats very helpful thanks. I will get some. I thought it strange that it only slipped in top and only every now and then.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #7 - 11/19/12 at 21:11:26

I might lean towards a additive as I brought 4 Litres of oil at $75 and only used half. I see Oldfeller has posted some additive options.

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #8 - 11/19/12 at 23:25:31

I have just purchased 2 bottles of Eastwood ZDDP engine oil additive. Has anyone used this? and if so how much did you add?

150987216.jpg
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 11/20/12 at 06:00:49

You know Paul, I have a hard time understanding what you are NOT asking.  

You PM me with a question, I answer it.

You post in the main oil thread, I answer it.

I'll answer you again -- please try to read the thread reference given below.   It has mix ratios for Eastwood ZDDP Booster.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1345080430/0#0

If you need something else, you really need to try to articulate what it is that you really want.

I'm not into guessing, especially not knowing what oil you are really using nor what PPM of ZDDP it already contains.

Listen to Justin and Charon, oil is important, but a slipping clutch can also come from maladjustment and it can result from previous abuse with an energy star compound in a previous crankcase full of oil.

ZDDP by itself isn't going to stop your clutch from slipping ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 11/20/12 at 06:31:55

Which is why Id dump the oil, toss some good, inexpensive oil in. Dont need to add anything to Rotella,

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 11/20/12 at 15:55:47

Justin, he's keeping multiple theads going (a big no-no around here, BTW) -- he's from New Zealand and he can't find Rotella oil where he lives.

He's buying stuff that he has no clue about how much ZDDP is in it already.

So, we can't really help him very much.

Except to ask how he adjusted his clutch (tell us exactly how you did it, all the steps).

I would suspect his clutch is a) contaminated and b) not adjusted correctly but that would be me ASSuMeing stuff,  now wouldn't it?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 11/20/12 at 16:36:31

Well,, it sure Looks good,, anyway,,
He told me it had slack in the cable,, so, even if its not perfect, as long as the lever is sloppy even when its warm, its not that..

question is, is there always some slack?

Did the problem exist before the oil thats in it now get put in it?

IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Reply #13 - 11/20/12 at 17:57:35

The clutch did not slip before, it only does it in 4th and not all the time. in 1st 2nd and 3rd I can give it full throttle and the clutch is fine. So why is the clutch slipping only in top gear, and only when the oil has heated, and not all the time just once in a while.
I reckon its the oil after reading Oldfellers post.
And I apologise for multiple threads, It was not my intention to piss anyone off. I know now how these things work.
As for not knowing about what oil to put in, I was trusting people in the appropriate feild to give me the right product. After telling them what you told me they are happy to refund me. They use it in pre 1989 motorcycles without any problems, but not in a Savage.
Being a member of this site has helped me to learn more about my bike. Now I know a little more about oil. Thanks Oldfeller.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 12/04/12 at 20:05:43

paulmarshall wrote on 11/20/12 at 17:57:35:
The clutch did not slip before, it only does it in 4th and not all the time. in 1st 2nd and 3rd I can give it full throttle and the clutch is fine. So why is the clutch slipping only in top gear.....

If a clutch is going to slip, it will generally slip in high gear before things get bad enough for said slippage to show up in the lower gears.

This is because high gear/high throttle opening angles create the largest shear forces that the plates in the clutch pack will be exposed to.  The engine is creating lots of torque, but the clutch's output shaft is very resistant to an increase in its rotational velocity in high gear.

Said resistance is decreased in the lower gears.

Clear as mud?   Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 00:57:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ZDDP Boosters

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.