Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Starter Interlock Switch Question (Read 266 times)
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Re: Starter Interlock Switch Question
Reply #15 - 11/19/12 at 20:20:34

Digger, it is a little off-topic, but how long is the pre-takeoff checklist for the Shuttle? I have flown Cessna 150/172 airplanes, but nothing more complicated.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 11/19/12 at 20:30:30

http://www.checklist-central.com/unique-unusual/space-shuttle-countdown-to-la...

IDK for sure if thats exactly correct or even what ya want. I only posted it to try to save Digger any unnecessary exertion,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #17 - 11/19/12 at 22:14:10

a wee bit back on topic see row boats post in the cafe about little rides.

couple of prime examples for the interlock circuit..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #18 - 11/20/12 at 06:48:54

You can get around these safety devices until the one day they don't prevent you from doing what they were intended to do.   I know because I once had a square dance session with my Ultraglide when I started it in gear while standing to the side.   Worse, it was in a park full of spectators.

Oh, swing your Harley to the right,
Grab her grips and holdon tight

« Last Edit: 11/20/12 at 07:56:37 by 360k+ »  

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #19 - 11/20/12 at 07:01:42

360k+ wrote on 11/20/12 at 06:48:54:
You can get around these safety devices until the one day they don't prevent you from doing what they were intended to do.   I know because I once had a square dance session with my Ultraglide when I started it in gear while standing to the side.   Worse, it was in a park full of spectators.

Oh, swing your Harley to right,
Grab her grips and holdon tight

One of the beauties of having a manual decompression device, a la RYCA, is that the starting drill begins with manually lifting the exhaust valve for a rev or so, just to get the motor spinning over before it starts.  The thing will NOT run with the exhaust valve lifted.  If it was in gear, and you tried to start the bike, you'd feel the bike move a little as the starter tried to move the piston, the rest of the bike, and your fat ass all at the same time.  Not much would happen other than a slight lurch and an expletive.

That said, I don't depend on that.  As the last step prior to pushing down on the decompression lever and hitting the starter button, I move the bike forward or back a few inches just to feel that it is not in gear.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #20 - 11/20/12 at 08:00:17

Gyrobob wrote on 11/20/12 at 07:01:42:
One of the beauties of having a manual decompression device, a la RYCA, is that the starting drill begins with manually lifting the exhaust valve for a rev or so, just to get the motor spinning over before it starts.  The thing will NOT run with the exhaust valve lifted.  If it was in gear, and you tried to start the bike, you'd feel the bike move a little as the starter tried to move the piston, the rest of the bike, and your fat ass all at the same time.  Not much would happen other than a slight lurch and an expletive.

Ehhh kinda...   That's like saying that one of features of the Model T was you couldn't accidentally start it while sitting in the seat.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 11/20/12 at 08:10:21

360k+ wrote on 11/20/12 at 08:00:17:
Gyrobob wrote on 11/20/12 at 07:01:42:

Ehhh kinda...   That's like saying that one of features of the Model T was you couldn't accidentally start it while sitting in the seat.

Precisely.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 11/20/12 at 15:59:55

Charon wrote on 11/17/12 at 17:30:38:
My Kawasaki and my Yamaha are so wired that they will start with the clutch released if they are in Neutral, kickstand up or down. They do have clutch switches and will not start with the clutch released if they are in gear. I prefer that arrangement to Suzuki's. Both, like the Suzuki, kill the engine if the bike is shifted into gear with the sidestand down (or if the sidestand is put down while they are in gear).

The advantage of the clutch interlock is what I take advantage of when push starting.

Hit the start button to activate the decomp and let out the clutch as soon as it starts spinning.  this will deactivate the starter w/o having to worry about getting your thumb off the button in a hurry.

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #23 - 12/04/12 at 19:54:21

Charon wrote on 11/19/12 at 20:20:34:
Digger, it is a little off-topic, but how long is the pre-takeoff checklist for the Shuttle? I have flown Cessna 150/172 airplanes, but nothing more complicated.

Lot of folks used lots of different checklists during the last few hours before a launch.

Mine was not too bad, but still longer than anything I'd ever used on the 40+ different aircraft I've flown over the years.

One tricky part was getting the three APUs started soon enough to prevent a launch abort (not a trivial procedure, btw, involving multiple switches and timing).....just a little pressure there, with the whole world watching!

« Last Edit: 11/08/14 at 11:57:55 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 23:16:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Interlock Switch Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.