Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
86 Savage - Starter Problem (Read 290 times)
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Re: 86 Savage - Starter Problem
Reply #15 - 10/17/12 at 13:42:19

Get a new starter.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #16 - 10/17/12 at 13:45:21

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
LouSiana

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Hannover, Germany
Reply #17 - 10/17/12 at 13:45:22

James Lynch wrote on 10/17/12 at 13:34:14:
... One of the large magnets in the body has broken in a couple places and shifted positions.  ...  What's the best way to approach this now?

Buy another one  Undecided There's no reasonable possibility to fix that broken magnet. You can get all parts for the starter from Suzuki but hell, they are all but cheap. If you buy a used starter on ebay (for example), you pay much less. Look for offerers with good ratings

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/17/12 at 17:08:46

Is the one below compatible?  I see different year ranges listed for a bunch of the ones online, do all 650's have the same starter?

Thanks!  I'll order one tonight

Dave wrote on 10/17/12 at 13:45:21:

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 10/17/12 at 18:13:04

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #20 - 10/17/12 at 21:26:10

verslagen1 wrote on 10/17/12 at 18:13:04:

There is some strangeness, however:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1183949991/0#0

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 10/17/12 at 22:13:32

James Lynch wrote on 10/17/12 at 13:34:14:
Ah, and now I have opened the starter.  One of the large magnets in the body has broken in a couple places and shifted positions.  So there are pieces of magnet in there and one of the big 4 is not where it should be, I'm guessing this is the heart of the problem...  What's the best way to approach this now?

Well,, That one is done, dude,, some things are fixable, some arent, & that kinda problem ARENT.. Hey,, at least you found the problem, good goin,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #22 - 10/18/12 at 10:41:44

By the way, the reason that magnet broke free like that is because the glue holding it in place melted from the starter over-heating. If you're having a hard time getting your bike to start - don't sit there with the starter button pressed and the motor spinning for minutes on end. Starters are only designed to be run for about 15 seconds before they need a 5 minute cool-down period. Obviously they can handle a little more abuse than that but if you managed to melt that glue - you went way over that.

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/03/12 at 10:01:00

Hey everyone - I want to thank you all for your help in diagnosing me through replacing the starter.  I swapped it and it cranked right over, very nice.  

The last comment speaks to how I may have melted the glue, and yes, I was having trouble starting the bike and the starter must have certainly overheated.  I thought originally this was because of a carb adjustment issue, then I thought because of my battery, but neither of those are the case.  

In fact, one the bike got started again with new starter I experienced a problem again, this time that it loses power, misses, as I ride, to the point that it will die and not start for a period.  Looks like my plugs are getting fouled.  I am going to start a new thread to address that problem, pot pictures of what I am working with, and hopefully you can help me out again.  

Thanks everyone, this forum is the best!

IP Logged
James Lynch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/03/12 at 10:03:02

Ah, and I meant to mention - I travel for a living so my absence was not due to just putting it off, my last post was done the day before I left and I just returned last night.  Right back to work on the bike!  Just didn't want my lack of final response to this thread to seem ungrateful, thanks!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 05:21:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 86 Savage - Starter Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.