Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter Motor O-Ring Problems (Read 130 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Starter Motor O-Ring Problems
07/08/07 at 19:59:51

This is a continuation of this thread:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

I was changing the oil in my bike (see signature) and decided it was a good time to change the weeping o-ring where the starter motor plugs into the engine case.

With Suzuki Factory Part # 09280-35005 in hand, I pulled the starter and cleaned everything up.  You can see from the photo that I found the weepage to be minimal.  I really didn't need to do anything, but I already had everything apart with a new o-ring at hand.

I pried the old o-ring off.  It appeared to be slathered in some sort of gasket cement or RTV.  It also appeared to be (horrors!)  Angry considerably thicker than the replacement o-ring I had waiting.

Out came the gauges.

New o-ring was 0.083" thick (the factory says it is 2.1mm thick).

The old o-ring was 0.120" thick (or just shy of 1/8").

The I.D of the engine housing where the starter motor goes was 1.576".

The O.D. of the o-ring seat on the starter motor was 1.381" (or just over 1 3/8").

After looking at these measurements, it was evident that the replacement o-ring would not work.

Fire up the computer and get on the web.  Turns out the factory fiches list two different starter motors for my bike, but this o-ring supposedly stays the same for each of the two starter motors.  I notice that the P/N on my starter motor does not match either of the two starter motors I'm finding online.

Back to the garage.  I opened up my drawer of o-rings and found one that was close.  1 1/4" I.D. with a thickness of 0.140".  I pop it on.  The starter motor would not go into the engine case.

Off I go to, in order, Lowe's, Checker Auto, NAPA, AutoZone, and Advance Auto.  At Lowe's, in the plumbing section, I see an o-ring with an I.D of 1 3/8" and a thickness of 1/8".  Should be the ticket.  The plumbing guy had no idea if it was an oil-resistant o-ring.  I get scared-off and leave.  No joy at Checker, NAPA, or AutoZone.  At Advance, I buy an o-ring with an I.D. of 1 1/4" and a thickness of 1/8" (it was the best they could do).  I get it home and measure the thickness.  0.140" !!   This will not help me, as I've already tried an o-ring of that thickness with no luck.

Desperate now, I riffle through my o-ring drawer again.  I find one with an I.D. of 1 1/4" and a thickness of 0.135".  I slather on the silicone grease and......it fit.  Tightly (which is good), but it fit.

So, any ideas what was up with the Suzuki Factory replacement o-ring?

BTW, I will post up again if this replacement o-ring starts leaking.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Starter Motor O-Ring Problems
Reply #1 - 10/15/22 at 14:59:36

Very happy to have found this post. I was battling an oil leak that I thought was coming from the stator cover, but it turns out it was coming from the starter through the weep hole. I had my starter replaced about a year ago, and I guess the mechanic just used the o-ring that came with the starter, and it was far too loose, not creating any seal at all.

Either way, mine is a 2013, and it looks like my measurements are substantially different than yours.

I could not get a digital caliper in to measure the exact ID of the starter housing, but I measured it with a measuring tape which read 41mm.

The O.D. of the starter that inserts into the housing is 39.8mm, which creates a .6mm perimeter clearance.

The o-ring groove is 4mm wide x 2.5mm deep.

I am thinking a 3mm thick o-ring with OD of 41 to 41.5mm should work. A good source of o-rings is McMaster Carr - https://www.mcmaster.com/o-rings/system-of-measurement~metric/

I will 3x41 and see if it does the job. I made a diagram below showing all the dimensions I was able to take.

IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/18/22 at 18:38:19

Updating this thread in case anyone ever runs into the same trouble, since I myself discovered it 15 years after the original post.

For my 2013 S40 the hole in the housing and the starter insert are different sizes than the original posters, which isn't surprising. The Savage went through some revisions, including new gearbox, torque limiting gear for the starter, etc - so depending on the year the sizes of the o-rings may differ. But for my 2013 I ordered three different sizes of O-rings to experiment with.

35mm ID x 3mm x 41mm OD - McMaster part 9262K293
35mm ID x 3.5mm x 42mm OD - McMaster part 1302N604
35mm ID x 4mm x 43mm OD - McMaster part 9262K354

I started with the biggest one, the 43mm, and it was just too tight. Went down the size to 42mm, and it fit nicely, very snug - had to lightly tap the starter in with a hammer to get it to go.

These rings are sold in packages of 25pcs, so I still have 24 left, if anyone ever runs into the same problem, let me know and I'll mail you one.

The closes US size would be 1-3/8" ID x 1/8" x 1-5/8" OD

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #3 - 10/19/22 at 02:23:00

I am having the same problem (I think), but my starter is different.
Groove width 2.65 vs 4.0
Groove depth 1.6 vs 2.5

Your 42mm is too wide for the groove I have.  I will go hunt down a 42mm with a 2.5 thickness.

Good job on all the research!  Appreciate it!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/19/22 at 03:08:10

youzguyz wrote on 10/19/22 at 02:23:00:
Groove width 2.65 vs 4.0
Groove depth 1.6 vs 2.5

Your 42mm is too wide for the groove I have.  I will go hunt down a 42mm with a 2.5 thickness.

If you want, PM me your address, and I'll send you one of the 3x41, it may just compress enough to fit and create a good seal.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #5 - 10/19/22 at 10:22:43

och wrote on 10/19/22 at 03:08:10:
youzguyz wrote on 10/19/22 at 02:23:00:
Groove width 2.65 vs 4.0
Groove depth 1.6 vs 2.5

If you want, PM me your address, and I'll send you one of the 3x41, it may just compress enough to fit and create a good seal.

I ordered a pack of these: 2.65 mm Wide, 36.5 mm ID, 41.8 mm OD (Part# 3799N39)

If those don't work, I'll hit you up for a 3x41.  Thanks!
If the 2.65 x 41.8 works, well.. I also bought a pack of 25, and can send one off to anyone who is running that kind of groove.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 10/20/22 at 06:33:22

I miss Digger... he was real life spaceman.
It was cool having a space shuttle pilot amongst our Savage family.
Cheers Digger  Cool

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/20/22 at 06:45:46

Serowbot wrote on 10/20/22 at 06:33:22:
I miss Digger... he was real life spaceman.
It was cool having a space shuttle pilot amongst our Savage family.
Cheers Digger  Cool

His website is working in his signature.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 10/20/22 at 07:42:08

IDK what that means.
He has a website?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/20/22 at 11:05:00

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/20/22 at 07:42:08:

IDK what that means.
He has a website?

Yep, there is a link to his website in his signature in the 15 year old post, the site is working - http://www.astronautbiker.com

I wonder if I should send him an email through his website thanking for his post.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 10/20/22 at 11:18:38

Ohh, okay, I was thinking maybe a more interactive thing.
You should have been here when he was active here. His garage was So Clean.
Everything was clean, maybe spotless is more accurate.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/28/24 at 00:56:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Motor O-Ring Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.