Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
clutch is slipping need help (Read 248 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: clutch is slipping need help
Reply #15 - 09/23/12 at 13:46:25

OK, you got to fix that.   You are going to need a slightly shorter push rod.

While you are in there, take the clutch apart and brake parts cleaner strip and then finish sander sand the steel plates with coarse sandpaper -- expect to dull up/tear up a couple of sheets of sandpaper doing this.

Then put the clutch back together and false fit the case cover with the gasket in place and recheck that lever alignment using the rubber band.  Sanding those plates will shift things a little bit, so you have to check after sanding and after putting it back together again,

Then replace the pushrod with a shorter one to get the bottom of the lever in between the crankcase marks (side case screws tightened to 100 inch pounds which is their normal torque) while you are pulling UP on the chrome lever with the rubber band.

Get all this right or your clutch isn't going to work correctly.

« Last Edit: 09/23/12 at 14:47:56 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfbznb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laurel lake, nj
Reply #16 - 09/23/12 at 13:51:01

ok
should i use new oem or ebc fricton plates and what springs?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 09/23/12 at 13:59:09

Now, with great pleasure I get to tell you -- it doesn't matter on the friction plates.

(don't use the EBC springs, they are known to be wrong and EBC will send you a set of corrected heavier springs if you e-mail them about the issue)

There was nothing wrong with your old fiber plates that scrubbing them with gasoline, followed by scrubbing them with hot soapy water, followed by drying out in the sun and then lightly hand sanding the surfaces with medium sand paper to break up the glazing wouldn't have fixed.

you just sand them lightly by hand until the color changes, that's enough

No one has EVER worn out a set of fiber clutch plates (be aware that Cylmers lists the thin and thick plates ass backwards in their thickness table).   CHANGING THE PUSHROD REMOVES ALL EFFECTS OF FRICTION PLATE WEAR and it will take you forever and a day to get outside the service spec range on the friction plates themselves.

So, suit yourself.  Whichever set looks better ..... I'd clean them though.

Don't throw your old set of fibers away though, they are still perfectly serviceable with a little TLC cleaning and deglazing.   Keep them as a spare set.

Eventually, you will work up a set of pushrods and get better at knowing when you have to change them.

And lastly, try to stick with the approved oils listed in tech section, we pick them for a reason you know.

(nobody wants any clutch hassles around here, least of all me)

You should wet all your fiber and steel plates with the correct oil before putting the clutch back together.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
rfbznb

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

laurel lake, nj
Reply #18 - 09/23/12 at 14:02:17

thank you every much i will try this today

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print