Send Topic Print
Gas tank rust (Read 134 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Gas tank rust
09/21/12 at 08:02:48

Hello:  This isn't specific to the Savage but it does apply to any motorcycle with a steel gas tank.  I am restoring an old Honda CB125s and the carb kept collecting what looked like extremely fine rust particles mixed with some gooey old gas.  The inside of the tank looked pretty good so I cleaned it out with hot water and Dawn and not much came out of it.  I then bought a gallon of Evapo-rust at Autozone for $22, poured it in and let the tank soak in different positions over a couple days.  Anyway the inside looks good now.

My question is should I use a sealer like Redcoat or just leave it be and keep it full of gas?  The petcock hole is very small, like a small pipe nipple, and there are internal crossover tubes and I have been told that sealers can permanently block those up.  Is there a sealer that isn't so thick?  The tank doesn't leak, it just needs something to keep the rust from reforming.

The Evapo-rust is nice to work with, it doesn't bother paint, rubber, or your hands but it is not as fast as acid.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Re: Gas tank rust
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 08:06:16

The gas of today has so much alcohol in it that it makes no difference whether you keep it full or not it will rust.
I'd coat it, however redkote I have not used ... I've used POR15 and kreem, like em both for different reasons and hate em for different reasons too.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/21/12 at 11:45:05

Good question.

Ive had mixed results with Kreem the 2 times I used it. One time it started coming loose and was a nightmare. Since then I have decided to leave my tanks bare and just clean them when needed.

I would be curious to hear real results from people that have had lasting success.  Not, "I did it a week ago and its awesome".  I want someone with actual valuable feedback.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/21/12 at 22:11:59

Keep an eye on it, when it has a fairly complete haze of rust, drain it, remove it, dump a cup of Jasco ( formerly Ospho) in it & shake it around. Do that a few times,, once its All been rusted & all been treated Without Any of it being allowed to rust to the point of making a flake, all just surface rust, YOu get the whole tank treated & turned black & made into Iron Phosphate, I dont think itll rust again,
The inside of the wheel on the backhoe is black from the Ospho I put on it a coupla years ago.When I had a flat I looked at it, I expected to need to treat rust. It was wet in there, a little, certainly not dry & I used a torch & heated it enough to hammer it into shape. I dont mean just a few little dings, it was wrecked,, took about 3 days of working & thinking,So, Dilute Phosphoric Acid treats rust, tranmsforms rust to Iron Phosphate, & prevents rust.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/22/12 at 04:50:08

Thanks for the tips.  There seem to be a lot of reports of sealer jobs gone bad and since some of the original coating, galvinizing or whatever, is still left in this tank I think I will do the phospate treatment.  I will also install a good inline fuel filter.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Greg-E
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/22/12 at 18:44:09

The filter is probably the cheapest way to prevent carb clogging.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/22/12 at 21:37:49

& it lets you see whats comin thru the petcock. If youre seeing much stuff in the filter, you know the screen on the petcock is getting a load,.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/23/12 at 14:45:35

Mines pretty rusted. Just recently took everything apart and found tons of rust around the petcock filter and inside the carb where the fuel line goes in from tank. Was giving me hell with "get up and go" now its back to acting up. In process of taking apart again. Would love to get that rust out.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/23/12 at 16:50:49

If its built up into layers, youve gotta get it out, down to the first sign of rust. The phosphoric acid cant react with what it cant get wet, so, all that would be accomplished is to change the upper parts, the rust down below would continue to grow.

IDK what products are avilable to soak rust flakes out, surely theres something out there,,All Ive ever done to deal with rust has been external.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:45:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas tank rust

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.