Bog choke and sputter when going to reserve
Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock
Had poor running issues that were petcock
Had jetting/mod tuning issues that were petcock
Me Raptor -- me not got any of the above now

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/27/12 at 10:44:22 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite (Read 1312 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite
Reply #45 - 08/26/12 at 06:51:34

Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock   2 (2.8%)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 2,......out of 70 ?? This wadnt sposed to happen !

I'd bet OF is sorry he ever started this poll !.......probably going off the deep end about now !

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #46 - 08/26/12 at 07:04:48

I doubt OF will regret starting the poll, because even if he doesn't like the results it is still information. I'd like to know the percentage of ALL Savage/S40 owners who have had problems with the vacuum petcock, but we'll never find out from this site because not all owners are members.

These forums are a self-selected and highly skewed sample. First, an owner has to actively search out a forum, and there are usually several from which to choose. Then that owner has to decide to enroll before being able to post comments or ask questions. In this case, the Savage has been called the Boulevard S40 for several years, and it is entirely possible S40 owners don't know it was ever called the Savage. The forum is suzukisavage.com, and doesn't mention S40 in its name. Many owners, having found and registered into the forum, will post something to the effect of "I just bought this thing and I sure love it." - and then never post again. Those posters do not provide any useful information. Even owners who remain more-or-less active seldom post maintenance information if they have no problems. So now we are reading about problems of whatever sort only from those who actually have them, and it looks as if everybody has whatever the problem of the day might be.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 08/26/12 at 12:56:17

Routy,

Let's look at the numbers together and Charon can watch carefully to make sure I don't overstate what they say.

A sub-set of this week's readers comprise the poll sample, these are the readers who come to RSD regularly.   This generally does not include all the Cafe people nor does it include all the Politics/Religion people.  Well heck, nothing else does either, so let's just say we are short term polling the tech heads and be satisfied we understand our sampling well enough.

Understanding these sampling limits, we will have to accept the people responding to the poll as a representative sample of the tech heads (time period "now").

We have done the same tech head sampling in poll form once before, so you can try to say "then" and "now" as far as the results, with a little salt thrown on it because the questions were a little different.

And all you can judge really is if people are responding at a different RATE or RATIO of "problems" to "no problems" than they did before.

What did I learn from that first poll that was unexpected?   SOOOO many more newer bikes were having petcock issues than I had expected back then.  There HAD to be a reason for this .....

This partially fueled the new though that really came out of the vac suction tests on my failed petcock, that low intake vac leads to low fuel delivery and WE MIGHT BE DOING IT TO OURSELVES BY TAKING OUT THE STOCK FAIRLY RESTRICTIVE AIR FILTER SYSTEM (lowering system vac levels across the board) while also asking for more gas volume to fuel a higher hp engine.  This is logical enough, I think.

So, in this second poll I carefully noted the upswing in people reporting "lack of gas" at various stages -- while being surprised at the fairly large number having to use their wrist to keep the bike going at stop lights (which is relatively new to my thinking).

Conclusions?   Overall ratio of vac problems to no vac problems is increasing.  Why?  Maybe age creeping up on the bikes, maybe more people trying to get that last 10 hp out of the engine, more likely a combo of both items and some other, not yet considered causes.

Now, as to your point about "carb problems" really being petcock only being two (2) this time -- I take that as a positive comment on the fact we make all "carb issues newbies" do the Serowbot test first right off the bat now --- and we correctly identify the petcock issue before they even start taking their carbs apart.

===============

Problems to no problems is about 50%-50% now  .... it is increasing some from one year to the next

===============

Raptorization still makes the bad stuff stop COMPLETELY.
  There is no "common incidence" of downside float bowl leakage getting gas into the sump as was initially feared -- we are still eagerly looking forward to the very first verified non-preexisting float needle leaker bike and we are pretty sure eventually it will arrive, given enough time.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #48 - 08/26/12 at 15:03:36

We did the raptor mod on both RYCAs.  One of them leaked a lot when we put gas in the tank.  Turns out it was not the Yamaha valve's fault, but RYCA's.  The surface where the valve was bolted to the tank was so warped from the tank reshaping, it wouldn't seal.  We filed the surface flat.  No leak now.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 08/26/12 at 16:16:45

Surprisingly my stock petcock doesn't leak either.When better petcocks are built Suzuki will built them. Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 08/26/12 at 17:25:08

Good go, Bill -- very nicely said.  

Bad part for us is that Suzuki will go and attach that better petcock to a new motorcycle when they do it, and they will NEVER acknowledge our sorry assed petcock or our sorry assed cam chain tensioner system in a recall or even in a service bulletin.

But then again, we are pretty good with fixing up these little "aggravating"  things ourselves.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #51 - 08/26/12 at 18:03:27

Routy wrote on 08/26/12 at 06:51:34:
Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock   2 (2.8%)
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Only 2,......out of 70 ?? This wadnt sposed to happen !

I'd bet OF is sorry he ever started this poll !.......probably going off the deep end about now !

Wonder how many had petcock issues that turned out to be carb... Huh...
Not many, I bet... Undecided...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ohio thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #52 - 08/26/12 at 18:16:05

i went to the raptor because i was having fuel starvation problems. never had problems with fuel delivery since. good flow = go go!!!!

IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #53 - 08/26/12 at 18:35:35

I was looking through a book I have about the Nebraska Tractor Test lab in Lincoln, NE. It lists results of tractor tests from the inception of the lab up through 1984. It includes gasoline, propane, "tractor fuel" and diesel tractors. The part of interest is a large table of economy figures, telling how many horsepower-hours are produced per gallon of fuel. There are over 400 gasoline tests, and as best I could tell (besides a few outliers) the results ranged from roughly 8 to just over 13 horsepower-hours per gallon. My unscientific method of choosing the mean was to go to the middle of the list, where I found about 11 horsepower-hours per gallon to be pretty common. These measurements are made with the tractor at full power pulling a load, so might be reflective of a motorcycle engine running wide open. If we relate this to the Savage/S40, and generously grant it 33 horsepower, it burns three gallons of fuel per hour, max. If we claim to have gotten another 11 horsepower with performance mods, it makes 44 total and burns four gallons per hour, max. Now, someone needs to measure the fuel flow for the standard petcock and the Raptor. I may get a chance to try it with the standard petcock, but don't hold your breath waiting (you might turn blue).

The point I am trying to make is that we need to get some real numbers instead of anecdotal data. The Raptor does not depend on engine vacuum for operation, so it should be easy to measure fuel flow. Take the fuel line off the carburetor, run it into a calibrated measuring device such as a kitchen measuring cup, and time how long it takes to flow a measured amount such as a quart or even a pint. Convert that to gallons per hour. Even better would be to run a full two gallons, which would allow for differences between a full tank and a mostly-empty one.

The factory petcock would be a little more difficult, although it could be measured in PRIME just like with the Raptor. Measuring in ON or REServe would require that vacuum be applied, easy enough with a large syringe or maybe even a turkey baster. But to really characterize it would require a vacuum source and a vacuum gauge, to see just how much vacuum is required to initiate fuel flow and whether fuel flow is proportional to the amount of vacuum applied. Not difficult to do, but tedious.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Joe F

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #54 - 08/26/12 at 19:16:28

I have an 07 with 20K on it without any problems. I swapped my a few thousand back to make it easier to pull the tank.  I'm rethinking it after dropping the bike and having gas leak out because of the manual petcock.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 08/26/12 at 20:34:14

Joe F,

Please tell us about what happened.

How did you manage to give a lick to the Raptor petcock since it is well recessed behind the curve of the tank?   Or did you hit it?

Or maybe you need to explain where the gas was coming from and all the rest of the circumstances (like which side was the bike laying on, etc).

Curious minds want to know .....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 08/26/12 at 20:39:38

Charon wrote on 08/26/12 at 18:35:35:
The factory petcock would be a little more difficult, although it could be measured in PRIME just like with the Raptor. Measuring in ON or REServe would require that vacuum be applied, easy enough with a large syringe or maybe even a turkey baster. But to really characterize it would require a vacuum source and a vacuum gauge, to see just how much vacuum is required to initiate fuel flow and whether fuel flow is proportional to the amount of vacuum applied. Not difficult to do, but tedious.

Vac comes in engine intake pulses with their amplitude and duration varying as you go up and down the throttle butterfly opening range (amplitude)  vs the actual engine RPM (duration).

Vac pulses results in a somewhat smoothed response in fuel flow that varies proportionately to the vac pulses height and duration.

The float bowl supply acts as a buffer, but when it goes too low you start to go lean and stutter.

As Verslagen correctly pointed out in the last petcock war, a steady vac source isn't going to correctly mock the real system or show you what is really happening to the overall fuel flow.   All my static vac tests could say is that the input vac level was matched with a proportional output fuel flow, as vac went down fuel delivery went down.

Next, Prime position has nothing to do with the real flow out of a vac petcock in vac mode.   Dave did his volume testing that showed the vacsucker flows less gas through the vac function than it does in prime even when the vac function is fully opened up with a large suction.   The little needle and seat act as a volume restrictor even when fully open.

But the vacsucker's needle and seat never STAY in full open position, they are constantly dancing to the amplitude of the system vac pulses coming from the engine pulling against the variable butterfly valve opening and the lower but constant resistance from the air filter (with the engine RPM calling the duration of each vac pulse).

So Prime has no solution to offer -- if you are going to run in Prime go get yourself a Raptor and have yourself a reserve function.

(running in Prime means running completely out of gas when you find out oops,  you are REALLY running out of gas)

Undecided       .... aw shite, anybody got a gas can?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #57 - 08/26/12 at 21:35:24

If the pulsing vacuum is a problem with the stock petcock, why could you not insert a restriction into the line that almost completely shuts down the vacuum?  That would still suck on the diaghram in the petcock to keep it open, yet it would dampen out the pulses.  They do this kind of thing in test equipment and aircraft instrumentation often.

« Last Edit: 09/01/12 at 06:26:41 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #58 - 08/26/12 at 21:55:18

it's in there, with a one way valve.

WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #59 - 08/26/12 at 22:08:02

Gyrobob wrote on 08/26/12 at 21:35:24:
If the pulsing vacuum is a problem with the stock petcock, why could you not insert a restriction into the line almost completely shuts down the vacuum?  That would still suck on the diaghram in the petcock to keep it open, yet it would dampen out the pulses.  They do this kind of thing in test equipment and aircraft instrumentation often.

That's a good idea.  Squeeze a round main jet into the vac line. 155 oughtta do it.  Cheesy

One could take a running raptorized savage, hook up the vac line to another petcock and tank, and measure the flow rate at idle, 2-3000RPM, and 4-5000 RPM.  Then try it with the partially restricted vac line and see if the overall flow rate is any better.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 18:58:56

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.