Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shifter Rod (Read 133 times)
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Shifter Rod
09/21/12 at 14:58:44

The rod connecting the shifter to the left side of engine was extended when the po added forward controls snapped on the way home. It is in high gear now. How do I fix this. It looks like original rod was cut, reconnected with nuts and welded back together to make it longer. Btw I have no access to a welder.

IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Shifter Rod
Reply #1 - 09/21/12 at 15:08:28

Contact either Ed.L. or Routy depending on which design of forward controls you have. Routy offers an extension that you add to your stock rod, Ed offers a new longer rod. Ed helped me out when I bought a used set that was missing the shift rod.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/21/12 at 15:19:54

is the rod just a threaded rod? could I just buy a piece from Home Depot, cut and replace?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/21/12 at 15:31:27

The stock rod has left and right threads.

the quick fix would be to get some all thread and hose clamp it to the part with the left hand thread.  Maybe stop by a muff shop and get them to put a couple tack welds on it.

The rod needs to be straight, any kinks in it will cause it to break.

WWW   IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/21/12 at 15:38:10

Mr.Orange wrote on 09/21/12 at 15:19:54:
is the rod just a threaded rod? could I just buy a piece from Home Depot, cut and replace?

There is a reverse thread on one end so buying a threaded rod from Home Depot I don't think will work.  If you, or anyone else needs a standard length rod, I've got one.  Pay the postage and it's yours.

IP Logged
Mr.Orange
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/21/12 at 15:48:55

tizzy it was extended for the forward controls. can I just take off each broken piece, have it welded back together, and replace?

IP Logged
CalisOsin

Rather die, than
live down on my
knees.

Orange County, Ca
Reply #6 - 09/21/12 at 16:40:19

I would have tizzy mail you his, cut it in half, and weld in an extension in the center.

'97, k&n airfilter, bcb pipe, custom leather seat, monoshock, custom bars
  IP Logged
tizzyfit

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/21/12 at 17:00:43

Mr.Orange wrote on 09/21/12 at 15:48:55:
tizzy it was extended for the forward controls. can I just take off each broken piece, have it welded back together, and replace?

I'm not qualified to answer that.  I bought forward controls from Ed L and no longer need the standard, threaded rod.  If you want it, send me a message with your address etc. and I'll mail it Monday.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 09/21/12 at 20:10:10

Go see if you can find a small turnbuckle the same size/thread. Gut a small piece of pipe & decide about how long it needs to be, have iot welded up,..
Or, instead of hunting for a turnbuckle, get a stock rod from someone,

You know how long it needs to be, the least amount of Wimpy stuff you have between the nuts, the better off you will be,.
Steel tubing should be available, talk to a welder, they know where to buy stuff.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 09/22/12 at 07:08:37

Remove the broken pieces. Take to a real machine shop. Have them make you a new rod out of steel, the factory piece is pot metal on the older bikes. If the shop is really good, they'll die cut the threads and then temper the rod.

Or just take them the parts and ask them to sleeve it. Tubing over the broken parts, welded to both ends. Won't bend like a light rod will. I have to do mine again, got 11 years out of the steel replacement rod, this time it is getting sleeved.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 09/22/12 at 08:02:36

Sleeving is a great approach.Very strong,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:58:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shifter Rod

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.