Bog choke and sputter when going to reserve
Had carb issues that turned out to be petcock
Had poor running issues that were petcock
Had jetting/mod tuning issues that were petcock
Me Raptor -- me not got any of the above now

« Last Modified by: Oldfeller--FSO on: 08/27/12 at 10:44:22 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite (Read 1312 times)
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Re: Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite
Reply #15 - 08/24/12 at 23:42:17

although I voted for Had "poor running issues" that were petcock  I myself managed (with your help, sorry guys, I do not remember, who explained to me the problem, but I'd be very grateful!) the essence of my problem was hidden in the spring plate in the fuel valve which is mostly for the "PRI" I just deleted it and put instead brass washer. now I have does not work "PRI" Sad, but the engine does not feel poor fuel at high speed Smiley

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/24/12 at 23:47:06

Wambr, Not having a "Prime" function could really be a problem.,

You Can overcome it by creating a vacuum on the vacuum line to the petcock. If I had no Prime function, I would carry a large syringe with me, so I could pull the vacuum line off the engine & force the petcock to deliver gas to the carb.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #17 - 08/25/12 at 05:46:15

Early Morning Sense of Humor Syndrome

Yeah, it's funny now, but later on in the week all them questions about exactly how to hook up the turkey baster to the new suction line are really gonna drag the joke down a lot.    

Besides, it was an ear cleaning kit rubber suction bulb and all it did was teach me that vacsuckers leaked vaccum down slowly AND that they didn't always shut the gas off when the vac ended.

Sounds like what he did was a form of Bobo mod (a kudge way to get towards a Raptor before Raptors ATVs were invented) because he has no ready access to spare parts.  Same situation Bobo had, there simply wasn't anything else available.

Cheesy

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 08/25/12 at 06:04:26

Quote:
And by the way, I haven't even fired up my bike yet and I went with the Raptor petcock. I have read more than enough on here about the hassles with the stock unit to be bothered with it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A perfect example of the "petcok paranoia" that has been set into this forum by OF ! And then for him....of all people to conduct a poll that proves nothing except that most those who have raptorized, did so from pure paranoia only, having never had any problem w/ the vac petcok whatsoever.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 08/25/12 at 06:14:12

Cheap Chinese LONG DROP PETCOCK for $16 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Right-Hand-Suzuki-LTZ-400-LTZ400-Fuel-Gas-Petcock-Pet...

Looks like folks have started peddling the Chinese rip-off of the long shank Raptor petcock fairly cheaply --
of course somebody has to actually order one and try it out before we will all KNOW it fits up properly.

Watch out, they are saying it has a RIGHT HAND gas nipple location which would be correct, depending on if you really are standing beside the left side of the bike looking straight on to the side of the tank.

Cheesy

Still, $16 with shipping is a lot better than Yamaha pricing of $24 with $7 shipping on top of that.

« Last Edit: 08/25/12 at 07:14:20 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #20 - 08/25/12 at 06:19:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/24/12 at 23:47:06:
Wambr, Not having a "Prime" function could really be a problem.,

You Can overcome it by creating a vacuum on the vacuum line to the petcock. If I had no Prime function, I would carry a large syringe with me, so I could pull the vacuum line off the engine & force the petcock to deliver gas to the carb.

thank you JOG2, as I do, when I need to drain the fuel from the fuel tank vent a little earlier I wrote somewhere about this, but I do not remember in what post

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 08/25/12 at 06:32:37

Wambr do you have 100% gasoline in Russia.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 08/25/12 at 06:33:22

Routy, good to see you !!!   I thought you were gonna miss the party and I was gonna be all disappointed.

Let's get you up to speed so you don't have to waste time reading all the pooka again.  

=====================

Charon took up for the stock vacsucker and he brought up the fact no recalls had been issued.  

This turned out not to be the case and there is a .pdf upthread of a US GOVERNMENT recall on a vacsucker for starting FIRES and BURNING MOTORCYCLES.   Ain't that loverly?

Plus he brought up the thought of SERVICE BULLETINS and low and behold there are some of those too.

And a long list of different bikes and their vacsucker issues thereto.  Vacsuckers suck, all over the place they suck -- and they do like to burn bikes occasionally.

======================

Currently the poll response shows a shift from all the previous polls which all seemed to hang around 1/3,1/3, 1/3 -- now it is coming in at a 50-50 level.   This is likely a function of age, the bike population is getting older and more wrinkly diaphragms are hitting the splits with simple age.

======================

Verslagen is faltering, he has had to answer too too too many "it won't run right" newbie questions in the last year.   His last words were to say the vacsucker was "insideous" in all the various and different ways it could show it's arse.

======================

$16 bucks "shipped to your door" Chinese long drop Raptor imitations have been discovered on EBAY.   As to whether they fit right or not, that remains to be seen.

======================

Bill is finally here.  We can start the shooting and bombing now .......

======================

Don yer Kevlar underwear boys, it's PETCOCK WAR time again !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #23 - 08/25/12 at 06:36:06

So, with all the failure links, you are trying to say:
1. ALL vacuum petcocks will eventually fail, some in insidious ways.
2. NO manual petcocks will ever fail, in any way at all.
3. ALL vacuum petcocks should immediately be replaced with manual petcocks.
Did I summarize it correctly?

You do realize there are an awful lot of scooters out there with vacuum petcocks, and no other controls whatsoever in their fuel systems. There is no reserve (they use actual gas gauges) , no manual on/off control, and no PRIME. If the carburetor is dry, one cranks the engine until fuel makes its way to the carb. Where is the manual system going to go?

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #24 - 08/25/12 at 06:55:50

No, I didn't say that -- you did.  

Did a pretty good job of it though.

Cheesy

If I were going to generalize over ALL PETCOCKS I would say that the weak link in the concept is the thin rubber diaphragm element -- it has gasoline on one side and vacuum on the other and it lacks the ability to keep the two separated forever.

Getting specific to our own Suzuki Savage vacsucker, I would say if you had a bone stock bike and ran the stock air filter setup you would greatly increase your odds of having few to no problems over 10-15 years.  

But the rub there is simple time, eventually the stiffness, the crack or the split will come to end your happy party.   Two elements are prone to this time disease, one is the vac hose itself and the other is the thin diaphragm itself.

I don't think you are going to get mebbe 5 years out of that original OEM thin wall vac hose before you get a crack or split near the clamp ends.

Mod your bike's intake track for low air resistance though, and you unbalance the equation of happiness towards the "low intake suction" side.

Increase your gas consumption by performance mods and you unbalance the equation towards the "low gas delivery" side.

Do both together at the same time and you write yourself an occasional "out of gas" stop by the roadside ....

PS  --  use some E10 alky gas in a pre-96 model and you run the risk of having some of the rubber parts in there that were never spec'd for alky gas and they might not like it too well.

So, take our percentage of performance modded bikes and roughly compare it to the percentage of vacsucker reported issues.   Might be some sort of correlation there .....  mebbe.

I do think that on the newer bikes, that we are doing it to ourselves chasing that extra 10 hp that Suzuki won't give us.

and how did I do for "fair and balanced reporting" this time?    Grin

$16 on EBAY --- an end to your vacsucker pain and suffering

« Last Edit: 08/25/12 at 08:20:47 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #25 - 08/25/12 at 08:00:26

Actually, my contention all along has been that relatively few vacuum petcocks fail. But those which do get a disproportionate amount of attention, partly because of forums like this.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #26 - 08/25/12 at 08:18:11

Ah, proportionately ....

So, on this forum we have a perhaps a 50%-ish sampling of this weeks current list readers (large enough to be a representative sampling of this weeks readers anyway) responding to the poll at the top of the thread.

The poll is saying half of the ones responding have had vac petcock issues of some sort on a Suzuki Savage.

Serrowbot's Axiom from long ago was 1/3 have had issues, 1/3 will have issues, 1/3 will never have issues.   Over time though, the first 2 of the 1/3s will become real, making 2/3 will have had issues.   I think we are up to the 50% range now, looking to top off around 60% over a few more years.

But then, as the numbers slowly bump past 60% and the long term results of starving your engine for gas become more apparent, we might just start getting pro-active and start yanking those evil vac suckers off of there before they can strand us by the roadside or damage our engines (or set us on fire ???).

Roll Eyes

How's that for a future pathway to public safety ???      Grin

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #27 - 08/25/12 at 08:56:41

Had many motorcycles over a lot of year.No petcock ever failed.If it did I would replace it with what came on it,Suzuki knows whats best.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #28 - 08/25/12 at 11:16:28

bill67 wrote on 08/25/12 at 06:32:37:

I don't understand your question....
excuse me...

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #29 - 08/25/12 at 11:19:37

wambr wrote on 08/25/12 at 11:16:28:
bill67 wrote on 08/25/12 at 06:32:37:

I don't understand your question....
excuse me...

He's wondering if they are putting alcohol in your fuel, or if it's 100% petro

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/22/24 at 23:11:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stock Vac Petcock is a piece of shite

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.