Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: Got a weird one here
Reply #15 - 08/01/12 at 16:56:26

I'm still baffled by this.  "Stuck relay" seems the most plausible, except that it's so odd that a relay would get stuck in the opposite position than it was sitting in.  

You sure the bike fell over after it got stuck on start?  Maybe a kid knocked it over and that broke your starter relay?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #16 - 08/01/12 at 17:04:18

My first thought was that the spring which holds the starter relay contacts open had failed, allowing them to close and supply power to the starter. But that would not explain why pulling the fuse wiring would stop it. At the least, this shows you your battery is in good shape.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #17 - 08/01/12 at 17:14:51

O.k.   Looks like I'm gonna have to question my kid a bit further.  I just went out to start looking at it, to see what I could start to figure out.  First thing I did was a few taps to the relay then plugged the fuse block back in. It's working correctly now.  Now I'm like ya'll trying to figure out why that would have any affect at all if it was the relay since no power to the fuse block is supplied unless the key switch is turned on. I'm starting to think that my son and his friend might have been playing around the bike and knocked it over and that caused the relay to trip and when I pulled the fuse block plug it was just coincidence it stopped the starter.   I ran the length of the wires under the tank just to make sure sense I had it off recently during my headlight upgrade and no wires were pinched.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #18 - 08/01/12 at 17:20:55

R.F.  have you done any mods to the bike recently?  If so I would start with any wiring in around there or related to anything you've done   Huh

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #19 - 08/01/12 at 17:25:04

ToesNose wrote on 08/01/12 at 17:20:55:
R.F.  have you done any mods to the bike recently?  If so I would start with any wiring in around there or related to anything you've done   Huh

Just replaced all the lighting with LED's and a HID upgrade to the headlamp, but all those were plug in upgrades except for the HID for 1 wire which is run from the relay to the battery. So there was no messing with the stock wiring on those upgrades.  But I did double check all that while I had the seat and tank off to be sure I had no shorts anywhere.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #20 - 08/01/12 at 17:55:45

Is there a test for the decomp controller?  Looking at the wiring diagram, it seems like a short in the decomp controller would activate the starter relay, and be stoppable by pulling the 20A fuse.   So maybe the decomp controller is going flaky, or the wires to it are touching somewhere.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #21 - 08/01/12 at 20:22:24

There's a few tests for it in clymers. Mine is bad and keeps the bike from starting on occasion. So I ran a button switch I had laying around until I talk myself into paying 70 bucks for a new controller. It seems the controller could possibly cause the problem rf had...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #22 - 08/02/12 at 06:34:21

The decomp controller requires the TINiest of inputs ( in terms of amps) to fire the starter. There is a single red ( 12 V) wire that runs near it. There is a wire on the decomp timer that, when given 12 volts, will fire the decompression solenoid & fire the starter. It will do it with the bike in gear, bypassing all safeties & even if the key is in your pocket,
I have a switch out of a DVD player wired in, strapped under the frame under my right thigh, if I ever have a starting problem, I can know a lot real quick by just touching that switch. I wanna say theres yellow on that wire, not sure now, I know its toward the front of the bike & I wanna say its second from the left in the connector. Anyway, the switch is Tiny, it would sit on my little finger nail. It carries no current to speak of, so, it wouldnt take much of a Skint Spot on insulation to allow a connection big enough to do what happened.
It Would take a near miracle to have the bike fall over & land 12 V on that wire & it stay there,, Wadda strange event that was,,

Some kinda "shoe" under the sidestand mite be in order,.
OR,, did it fall over first? Was it in gear & engine spin & it walk off the kickstand? Did the kickstand sink in the ground?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #23 - 08/02/12 at 07:59:12

I'll take a look into that JOG.   For now it seems that it's fixed though.

As far as if it fell over and then started the issue, or the the starter went first and it walked off I'm not sure.  Can't get anything else outta my son.  I almost always leave my bike in gear when I park it so yes it is possible that if the issue happened by itself it did walk off the stand.  There are no holes from the stand in the ground where it was parked so I it's unlikely it was a sink and fall over type of deal, after all we are in the TX red clay area and with the temps we have been having it's almost like concrete.

I will be watching it over the next several days to make sure it doesn't happen again and if it does will investigate further.

R.F.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #24 - 08/02/12 at 17:14:46

Well the ghost is back, and I know for a fact it's not one of my kids.  I witnessed it myself this time.  I had just let the dog out and shortly after that while I was standing there the starter just up and started churning the motor over  Shocked  This just happened about 10 mins ago.  A sharp smack to the fender support stopped it, but for now I just pulled the pos wire from the battery till I can figure out what the heck it going on here.

R.F.

IP Logged
ToesNose
Serious Thumper

Pardon me, do you
have Hot Sauce?

Mooresville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/03/12 at 04:20:14

Poltergeist!!!   Shocked

The Suzuki LS650, bringing Miles of Smiles everywhere!
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #26 - 08/03/12 at 09:24:15

Then it's probably like Drums said...a short in the solenoid...plus after you rapped on the fender it stopped...I'm terrible at electrics but that's where I'd start.

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
SaVaGeEaRL

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Georgetown, KY
Reply #27 - 08/04/12 at 01:14:17

The solenoid won't be a source of current though. Start with the controller and go backwards from there. I'd bet it's the controller.

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #28 - 08/04/12 at 01:41:15

SaVaGeEaRL wrote on 08/04/12 at 01:14:17:
The solenoid won't be a source of current though. Start with the controller and go backwards from there. I'd bet it's the controller.

Well it still may end up being that and something else,  but unless I'm reading the wiring diagrams wrong, the controller doesn't get any voltage unless the key is in the on position, so wouldn't this mean my key switch would also have a short in it as well, or a short in it's harness?  The way I read it is, there are only 2 places that have constant power and that is the large cable lead to the starter relay from the battery, and also the smaller wire lead to the key switch unless I'm missing something.

R.F.

IP Logged
Cavi Mike
Serious Thumper

Thumper n00b

Rochester, NY
Reply #29 - 08/04/12 at 01:47:20

It would have to mean that the neutral safety switch, clutch safety switch and ignition are all faulty. Though it's possible, it's not probable. The fault is with the solenoid. The return spring or something has broken inside the solenoid and is allowing it to close. The solenoid should be the first thing replaced.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 22:36:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got a weird one here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.