Got a weird one here (Read 717 times)
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Got a weird one here
08/01/12 at 11:11:02

Got woke up by my son this morning saying my bike was laying on it's side trying to start itself.  I went out to see what was going on and sure enough it was on the ground and the starter was churning.  It couldn't have been going on for to long because it was still turning over fairly strong against the motor without the decompression solenoid engaged. Now what is weird about this is the fact it did this by itself.  Key was in the house, key switch in the off position, nothing crossing the terminals on the starter solenoid, and what stopped the starter from going was me pulling the connector off the back of the fuse block.

This tells me where ever the short happened it bypassed all the safety switches, kickstand, clutch, ignition, and key switch.  

Any ideas on where to even begin looking for the issue??

Oh reason it was on the ground, I normally park with it in 1st gear.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Got a weird one here
Reply #1 - 08/01/12 at 11:29:26

Ghosts.

--Steve

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 08/01/12 at 11:30:41

rfw2003 wrote on 08/01/12 at 11:11:02:
This tells me where ever the short happened it bypassed all the safety switches, kickstand, clutch, ignition, and key switch.  

Any ideas on where to even begin looking for the issue??

The fact that the short bypassed all the safety checks should make it easier to find.. just work back from the starter and see how it got +12V, simple!  Cheesy  (sorry I'm no help)

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #3 - 08/01/12 at 11:51:51

Yeah I'm leaning towards Ghosts myself since it sat for over 12 hours since the last ride before it happened Tongue

I had already thought about going backwards if nothing else for the tracing Boule'Tard  was just hoping someone here might have had a suggestion since it seemed to bypass everything and didn't have any obvious direct short across the starter solenoid and pulling the fuse block connector stopped it.

R.F.

1996 Savage, Corbin Seat, K&N filter, Slip Streamer Enterprise II windshield, LED bullet signals, Cat's eye LED tail light Ryca reverse cone long muffler
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/01/12 at 11:52:23

the starter relay gets it directly from the battery.
the starter button goes to the decomp relay over the carb to the starter relay.

I'd look for a pinched wire under the tank.

not as likely as it was sitting fine to early this morn... but relays sometimes get stuck.  And will take a good rap on the fender next to the key to unstick.

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #5 - 08/01/12 at 12:15:15

thanks for the starting point verslagen,  when it starts to cool off some this evening I'll go pull the tank and see what I can find. To dang hot right now as it's over 100 out there, and I don't have a garage to work in right now. Will report back on what I find this evening.

R.F.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 08/01/12 at 12:17:02

rfw2003 wrote on 08/01/12 at 12:15:15:
thanks for the starting point verslagen,  when it starts to cool off some this evening I'll go pull the tank and see what I can find. To dang hot right now as it's over 100 out there, and I don't have a garage to work in right now. Will report back on what I find this evening.

R.F.

It'be hotter than that in the garage if you had one.
kick the kitchen table over and drag it in   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #7 - 08/01/12 at 12:19:30

I would drag it in the house, but the way my porch is set up I can't get it in. Sad  I have tried once before.

R.F.

IP Logged
Spamy

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/01/12 at 13:03:14

First thing that popped into my mind, Was someone trying to hotwire it and steal it and got spooked and ran off.

But sounds more likely the ground shorting. Strange this bike has so many circuits regulated by the ground and not the hot.  Its not very failsafe.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #9 - 08/01/12 at 13:48:00

you said your son found it right.....did you question him thoroughly?

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #10 - 08/01/12 at 13:59:59

Spammy  Where I live it's not very likely that anyone would try to steal anything, and if there was that issue they would be to afraid to come onto my property with the known number of guns I own plus what my neighbors own, we kinda have a neighborhood watch thing going on here, and we do look after each other.

Splash yes I did question him and his friend that both found it thoroughly,  they had just walked out to go play and noticed it and came right in and got me. I also questioned my daughter as she had been out earlier then they were.  My son while being very smart just isn't capable of doing anything to try and hot-wire it.  He doesn't even know how to get the seat off, nor how the wiring on the any motor vehicle works, he's only 10 and hasn't been taught all of it yet.

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #11 - 08/01/12 at 14:15:17

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe he jumped on to play or pretend he was driving it, pulled in the clutch, maybe hit the kill switch off, then hit the starter causing a short somewhere. But it sounds like you trust him pretty well. would not have been the case at my house, my old man knew better than to trust me, still does.  Grin

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/01/12 at 15:39:54

rfw2003 wrote on 08/01/12 at 13:59:59:
 He doesn't even know how to get the seat off, nor how the wiring on the any motor vehicle works, he's only 10 and hasn't been taught all of it yet.

"Yet"... so you plan to teach him how to hot wire?

--Steve

IP Logged
rfw2003
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Yantis, TX
Reply #13 - 08/01/12 at 16:51:40

Paraquat wrote on 08/01/12 at 15:39:54:
rfw2003 wrote on 08/01/12 at 13:59:59:
 He doesn't even know how to get the seat off, nor how the wiring on the any motor vehicle works, he's only 10 and hasn't been taught all of it yet.

"Yet"... so you plan to teach him how to hot wire?

--Steve

nope,  but as simple as some vehicles are I'm sure he will figure it out as he learns mechanical skills from me.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #14 - 08/01/12 at 16:55:03

I had a similar problem on my '87. I went to start it one day and after firing up the starter kept right on spinning. I shut it off and pulled the key and there it sat, still cranking. Turns out there was a short in the solenoid. I had to pull the seat and reach down there where it's hidden, and rap it with a screwdriver to make it stop. It's mounted on the front of the rear fender, like behind the airbox.
Hope your bike didn't suffer too much damage, crashing to the ground and all.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:00:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got a weird one here

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.