Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
The voter fraud,.. fraud... (Read 333 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: The voter fraud,.. fraud...
Reply #30 - 07/27/12 at 22:03:03

It is sort of hypocritical that in a democracy, We the People ARE the government, and we demand transparency of government, but then we want to step into our private little voting booth, pull the curtain, and participate in a secret ballot. Cowardly.              

Without positively IDing each voter, there is no way to prevent one from casting multiple votes. In the absence of an ID system I could go around to several polling places and vote on behalf of several people of similar age and appearance, who show up as valid local residents, as long as I got there before the person I was claiming to be at the time.  Positive IDs are necessary, and elections would be a joke without them.

But back to my point.  A voter ID is necessary but still not enough to uphold responsibility.  Remember, in a democracy we want to have transparency and also BE the government, right?  Our secret ballot is incompatible with those principles.  It is so easy to just bash politicians, who without fail, claim to be following "the will of the people" or a "public mandate" or something collective like that.  But then the chain of responsibility just dissolves into the secret ballot.. to nobody.  That's bullshit.

If someone wants to alter the government in ways that affect me, I have a right to know who did it.  If you want to vote, your vote should go into a searchable public record.  I want to be able to ostracize (or praise) those responsible for government decisions that affect me.  It's simple.  Any person who wants to act as an agent of a transparent government should be identifiable as one.

In the spirit of the Tall Table I will now wish in one hand, sh*t in the other and see which one fills up first.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #31 - 07/27/12 at 22:35:37

Boule', I generally appreciate your thoughts... but, that's the craziest thing you ever said...
Anonymity in voting, allows the individual to voice his true opinion,.. in spite of what his peers my wish or judge...
Essential to freedom...
It defends the individual,.. the free thinker,.. the squeaky wheel...
...and JOG... Grin...

One must be able to voice his true opinion without judgement, or fear of reprisal, in order to get an honest opinion...
Imagine,... the first blacks to approach the voting booth... not so long ago... and many, in places not friendly to the idea...
... or a wife that might disagree with her husband...
... or a son, that might have a different view to his father and brothers...
Without the guarantee of anonymity, many would not have even shown up...
Voting in lockstep is not freedom...

Anonymity allows dissension... and change, and progress...
Revolution without violence...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #32 - 07/27/12 at 23:06:40

Ya lose that anonymity when ya walk up & sign in on the voter registration booklet, The Secrecy isnt THAT you voted, its HOW you voted.. Or, are you saying you want people to be able to vote in place of dead people so no one will know they voted?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #33 - 07/27/12 at 23:27:33

Who votes in place of dead people?? That doesn't make any sense...

Anyway, a Pew Research Center Forum on Religion and Public Life survey released Thursday showing that 34% of conservative Republicans said they believe that President Obama is a Muslim.

You Think Obama's a Muslim? Then you're too stupid to vote.

... If Republicans want me to produce a photo ID to prove I’m the same person who’s been voting for over four decades, then Democrats have the right to demand some basic level of intelligence from the other side.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #34 - 07/27/12 at 23:41:05

IDK hoot about Bammys religious preferences,,
You wanna know who otta not vote? Anyone who supported Nafta, & anyone who wasnt able to read NDAA & see it meant Americans could be hauled away.,.Those people havent the ability to grasp what theyre looking at,OHH & BTW, I still get to vote,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #35 - 07/28/12 at 06:57:20

... If Republicans want me to produce a photo ID to prove I’m the same person who’s been voting for over four decades, then Democrats have the right to demand some basic level of intelligence from the other side.

maybe we should expect an IQ greater than that of a grape before letting Democratic Congressmen take the oath...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNZczIgVXjg

and this guy probably ups the IQ curve for you guys.....

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #36 - 07/28/12 at 08:11:46

Serowbot wrote on 07/27/12 at 22:35:37:
Boule', I generally appreciate your thoughts... but, that's the craziest thing you ever said...
Anonymity in voting, allows the individual to voice his true opinion,.. in spite of what his peers my wish or judge...
Essential to freedom...
It defends the individual,.. the free thinker,.. the squeaky wheel...
...and JOG... Grin...

The advantages of the secret ballot are not lost on me, I do understand and appreciate them.  But we still can't have our cake and eat it too.  As long as there is a secret ballot, there will always be doubt, conspiracy theories and complaints about stolen elections.. pick your poison.

You raised the concern that people would be coerced into voting a certain way, and if not, at least the fact that you can choose to vote (or not vote) would lead to a reduced number of voters.  In the case of open votership, the reduced votership would of course leave more voting power to the people who have the balls to vote and let their votes be known.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing.  There is nothing about an open system that would select for bad votes. If anything, it would shine a light on them.  I get it that open voting would facilitate ostracism among family members, neighbors, etc. and that is the point.  The risk of ostracism is the price of power.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #37 - 07/28/12 at 08:34:28

Nice thoughts Boule, but utter disaster would result.  For example, Democrats fight for open ballots at union elections for one reason and one reason only: intimidation.

You think a white man living in a predominantly black neighborhood would vote the same if his neighbors knew who he voted for? I say this because in Missouri we lost a congressional seat and two separate districts were basically made into one. An area with a high African American population has merged into an area with a low African American population. The sitting long term African American Congressman is running against a popular white sitting Congressman. Let me tell you, if the white guy wins and if everyone’s votes were known, there’d be trouble. That’s a fact. If you doubt that kind of intimidation exist; look at what resulted when the New Black Panthers stood around with clubs in their hands a couple elections ago (of course our racist atty general didn't thing this was a big deal, but I digress...)

It would be dangerous to know how an individual voted if he did not want to reveal that. Politicians get attacked because they voluntary join the fight in the public eye. I was in Wisconsin and saw / heard the utterly awful, violent things tossed at Scott Walker not to mention what they did to his kids. However, he signed up for this and in that way, I don’t feel sorry for him. Same with Sarah Palin. All politicians have a level of narcissism none of us have.

Besides, it can’t be a secret who’s responsible for policies, is it? What’s happened that you don’t know who to blame? Shouldn’t you blame the one in office more than the ones who voted for him?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #38 - 07/28/12 at 09:05:51

I think Webby just agreed with me...
Gulp!... Huh...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #39 - 07/28/12 at 10:31:53

Oh I totally acknowledge there's intimidation.  There is both the good kind, the ostracism that ensures that people are damm sure of their ideas before foisting them on others, and there's the bad kind that involves physical threats and vandalism.  The 'trouble' that Mark alludes to is still illegal and subject to defensive action, and it is up to the voter to decide if the risk of trouble is worth it. Voting is just as voluntary as running for office.

I think maybe you guys are applying the standard of privacy in free speech, to voting.  I would agree that speech oughtta be free and unfettered as Serowbot advocates.  But speech is just speech. If thought stupid, it can be ignored and not affect anyone.  Voting is a whole nuther ball game, it is action that affects others and cannot be ignored. It does not deserve the same standard of privacy as speech.                    

Blaming politicians is fun and all, and would be completely satisfactory if the chain of responsibility ended with them.  But bashing them in this system is only an illusion of accountability, IMO.  They always pass the buck onto the voters and the responsibility evaporates then and there.  It is slightly more satisfactory to bash appointed officials, but they in turn were appointed by elected officials, who in turn were.. poof.

Good discussion, guys.  I need to go help my mother in law move some furniture but will check back later.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #40 - 07/28/12 at 14:58:22

All right I got the 'ol bat's stuff moved Cheesy  Awesome, now I can change the oil in my truck and hang out with my daughter. Life's good.

So unless anyone disagrees, I guess we can conclude that vote fraud is a consequence of loose or nonexistent ID checking, but levels are low enough for most people to accept.  While most people want their ID verified upon voting so no one can pose as them, they would not go so far as to make the fact that they voted (and certainly not the WAY they voted) an open public record.

I think a decent compromise would be for voters to be able to go online, provide a username and password, and be able to see that the way they voted is how it stands (as in, their vote was not tinkered with).  I'd go a step further and say everyone should be able to check anyone's vote, but I guess that idea aint gonna fly.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #41 - 07/28/12 at 15:32:39

...again

UNTIL WE FIX THE VOTING MACHINES, THE VOTING IS FIXED.

But don't worry republi-CONS. You still have the rigged SCOTUS to stop the vote counting and appoint their man to the presidency in case he doesn't win on his own.

...as in remember gee dubya?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #42 - 07/28/12 at 16:29:48

Starlifter wrote on 07/28/12 at 15:32:39:
...again

UNTIL WE FIX THE VOTING MACHINES, THE VOTING IS FIXED.

This is not a technical proplem, it's a human cheating problem.  The machines are not "broken" and in need of "fixing."   Surely you have heard the saying "The problem with computers is, they don't do what you WANT, they do what you ASK."

You can have the best voting machine in the world.. redundant mil-spec hardware, open-source software checked by 1001 eyeballs (that is, 500 software engineers and a pirate) and a final check by NASA. That won't prevent the thing from being delivered to the polling place pre-loaded with votes for one candidate or another. Or messed with after the election.  Because the bureaucrat who handled it took a bribe, or simply favored a candidate and wanted to cheat.  And so we're back to the original problem of the secret ballot facilitating some level of fraud.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #43 - 07/28/12 at 16:34:23

Impossible problem... even with paper ballots, you're depending on the counters to be honest...
Anonymous or not...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #44 - 07/28/12 at 16:43:40

It's a hanging CHAD!!  Grin

We don't know who's vote this goob is looking at.  But.. if each name and vote was posted for all to see, fraud would be soon busted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:57:22

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › The voter fraud,.. fraud...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.