Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in it ? (Read 413 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in it ?
06/03/12 at 07:53:33

I have emails from my best friend that took his '06 S40 w/ 4K miles to a shop in Ca for repair and service,.....$360 worth,.....$75 of that was just to change the oil,... no filter change. Only problem was, no one put any oil back in it.
Anybody care to guess how many miles it went till it seized up ?
Most of the miles were on a freeway at speed.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in
Reply #1 - 06/03/12 at 08:00:31

When I am working on an engine & the oil is out of it & Will be out of it till Im done, like the stuff Ive been doing on mine, I put a note on it, I used a piece of duct tape with "No OIl" wrapped on the iggy switch. I put notes on a steering wheel when I have several things going on on a car. Tighten this, adjust that, stuff like that,. In fact, writing yourself a "work Order" before starting in can be a big benefit. Check things off.

I had many responsibilities & was hurried & harried by the bosses at a job. I was the mechanic, maintaining about 6 oilfield trucks, I did the bodywork, drove trucks, worked in the field, & I forgot to add oil after  replaced the bearings & seals & brakes on a wheel hub on an 18 wheeler type tractor,,Watching it develop an unnatural wobble & fly off as I brought the speed down to about 30 was almost a heart stopper..Fixing That was a Big Hassle..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 06/03/12 at 08:05:21

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #3 - 06/03/12 at 08:22:10

im a sceptic so......3.2

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #4 - 06/03/12 at 08:45:23

23.846 miles exactly!

JOG, good idea about the note on the iggy.   I had a friend who was changing his oil on his Yamaha, and got a phone call right before adding the new oil.   When he came back out of the house, he hopped on the bike and went for a test ride.   Then getting back home, rode the bike into his garage and saw the new quarts of unopened oil still sitting on his workbench - lol.

Routy, did he say what shop he went to?   I want to make sure I steer wayyy clear of that one.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 06/03/12 at 08:52:39

Here is a series of emails, in his own words, C&P'd
Jog is the wimnner here !
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I drove it home from Salida, about 10 miles, then one trip to the bank about four blocks, then the day it blew, maybe four miles. So say 15 miles or so. I'm lucky it didn't seize up on the freeway coming home from Salida!
-Dale
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Dale Gillespie <fishwishr@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:52 AM
Subject: RE: Sunday

Bout how many miles 4 she blu ?? I got to report that on the forum !

You you should buy a "Harley" !

Rich

Sunday‏

6:46 AM Reply ▼
Dale Gillespie

To Rich poelstra

Nope. I didn't hear any unusual noise 'til seconds before it seized. Then a squealing sound that caught my attention real quick. And I didn't notice any bluing on the pipe. No oil burning, either, since there was no oil to burn. I know you and your bro love these S40s but for the few miles I've put on this one, I sure have my headaches (Most with things that aren't the bike's fault):

By the way, Craig was here when Tommy came by and witnessed everything he said. I just don't want to keep this bike any more. But we'll see how this latest issue plays out.
-Dale

To: Dale Gillespie <fishwishr@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 3, 2012 6:19 AM
Subject: RE: Saturday
You probably don't want to talk about that bike anymore, but I am so dam curious about all that took place there !
Such a shame, because the engine/trans in these bike are know to be near indestructible w/ even minimal care.
But,....if no oil was put back in it, how in thee hell did it run that far ? About how many miles would you guess-tamate ?
And how in the hell did you not hear that something was amiss ? It seems like before it blew, it would have been one noisy
rattlin bucket of bolts !
And w/o oil, how hot did it get before it seized ? Is the header pipe solid blue,......engine smokin etc ?

If it really had no oil put back in, that motor is one tough Umbrae !! I'm keepin mine !

You know I rode the bike home from Salida on Wednesday and been fighting the battery ever since. Got a free replacement battery from NorCal and that's now fine.
Fired up the bike and drove down to MickeyD's in town near us and had a couple of those $1 sandwiches. Best deal in town! Then fired it up and headed east on 120. I got past Jack Tone Rd and it froze up on me! It flat would not turn over and if not for the clutch it would have stopped dead in the road.  I pushed the darn thing for half a mile then gave up, called John and he came and towed me home. I checked the oil window and there was no oil. And it hadn't dripped any nor smoked any. THE DUMMY MECHANIC DIDN'T PUT ANY OIL IN!! I called the shop when I got in and Tommy the owner said he'd come right over. And he did. He was very concerned. So he's going to try to find a salvaged motor/tranny in good condition and upon my approval will put the new motor in and warranty it for me as long as I own the bike. All this is IF he sees that his man (a new young fella just out of WyoTech) didn't put oil in it. He says his shop has full surveillance and he can probably tell whether he did or not.  He said he'd call ASAP and get me in and out in a hurry. And that he or another experienced guy he has will do the work. I told him I didn't want the same guy again and he said he'd be gone anyway. So that's where it stands now. I hope he does as he says, and he DID come right over on his busiest day of the week to see the bike.

Dale

« Last Edit: 06/03/12 at 10:38:15 by Routy »  

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #6 - 06/03/12 at 08:54:05

I hate to admit it, but I forgot to put oil in a customer's truck. I was an auto mechanic in a previous life. Pull in a customer's truck for inspection, alignment, and maintenance. I drained the oil and got hung up replacing ball joints. Wrapped it all up and pulled it over to the alignment machine and it was making a whole lotta noise. Yeah, I forgot the oil. I think that was my first real life learning experience as an adult. It never happened again. However I did forget to bleed the front brakes on a car after replacing the pads. I couldn't stop as I was backing out of the stall. I crashed into another car in the garage. The dealership was not impressed!

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #7 - 06/03/12 at 09:10:21

Quote:
Routy, did he say what shop he went to?   I want to make sure I steer wayyy clear of that one.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
He said it was kind of a Hawg type shop in Salida Ca,......

Rich
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 06/03/12 at 09:15:24

Routy, Salida is only 40 miles from home.   Did he say it was Full Throttle motorcycle shop?   I wouldn't likely go there anyway, but just curious.

IP Logged
FishWisher
YaBB Newbies

I need wind!

Stockton, CA
Reply #9 - 06/03/12 at 09:30:25

Nuts. I was hoping that the motorcycle shop name could remain out of this conversation for now, but since it's here - yes, it was Full Throttle. This shop does mainly Hardleys but they also take others. They have a dyno out front and he does all the super tuning for bikes from the local Hardley dealer. The owner doubtless knows his stuff. His new employee, fresh out of WyoTech, probably not so much.

Now, as Greg said, it isn't hard to overlook a critical item such as OIL. But as per my discussion with the shop owner when he came to my home AT ONCE after I called him, and on his busiest day of the week (Saturday), it's not as much what he breaks as what he fixes. So for now I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and I'd hate to see him crucified here after showing such good character yesterday.

Of course, until my bike is fixed to my satisfaction, his true colors won't be known, but I'll keep Routy posted and he'll likely keep y'all up to date if you're interested how all this plays out. I'm hoping...

Dale

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #10 - 06/03/12 at 09:35:12

Greg wrote on 06/03/12 at 08:54:05:
I hate to admit it, but I forgot to put oil in a customer's truck. I was an auto mechanic in a previous life. Pull in a customer's truck for inspection, alignment, and maintenance. I drained the oil and got hung up replacing ball joints. Wrapped it all up and pulled it over to the alignment machine and it was making a whole lotta noise. Yeah, I forgot the oil. I think that was my first real life learning experience as an adult. It never happened again. However I did forget to bleed the front brakes on a car after replacing the pads. I couldn't stop as I was backing out of the stall. I crashed into another car in the garage. The dealership was not impressed!

Greg, this and your previous thread about burning yourself multiple times on the hot exhaust are funny, but also cause for concern.  Perhaps you should consider an endeavor other than mechanical work; ...say neural surgery, for instance.

IP Logged
Greg
Serious Thumper

Molon Labe

Southeast PA, uSA
Reply #11 - 06/03/12 at 09:37:46

360k+ wrote on 06/03/12 at 09:35:12:

Greg, this and your previous thread about burning yourself multiple times on the hot exhaust are funny, but also cause for concern.  Perhaps you should consider an endeavor other than mechanical work; ...say neural surgery, for instance.

Grin

Oh I am one heck of a Google doctor!  Roll Eyes

2002 Savage.
WWW   IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #12 - 06/03/12 at 09:47:58

FishWisher wrote on 06/03/12 at 09:30:25:
Now, as Greg said, it isn't hard to overlook a critical item such as OIL. But as per my discussion with the shop owner when he came to my home AT ONCE after I called him, and on his busiest day of the week (Saturday), it's not as much what he breaks as what he fixes. So for now I am giving him the benefit of the doubt and I'd hate to see him crucified here after showing such good character yesterday.

Dale

Hi Dale, Gary here, up at Lake Don Pedro.   Like I say, I probably wouldn't be going to a Harley shop anyway, as I no longer own any.   And I do understand that sh*t does and will happen.   In fact, I kinda feel sorry for the young guy being he was getting his start and all.

Shop name is a closed item, but I would be interested in the resolution because I have heard of drain plugs falling out, and such.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #13 - 06/03/12 at 10:11:03

Well,.. brain farts do happen,...  the shop owners resolution sounds fare...

Hope it all works out... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #14 - 06/03/12 at 15:06:11

The closest I ever came to that (aside from sending burgers out without the meat while at my first job ever at A&W),  was during an oil change on my Land Cruiser, which took 8 L of oil, was to forget to put the drain plug in, and pour  all 8 L of synthetic through the motor into the drain pan. Cost me $64 for that mistake. Embarrassed

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 02:12:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in it ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.