Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in it ? (Read 413 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in
Reply #15 - 06/03/12 at 19:04:17

FishWisher wrote on 06/03/12 at 09:30:25:
Nuts. I was hoping that the motorcycle shop name could remain out of this conversation for now, but since it's here - yes, it was Full Throttle.

As long as the owner makes it right - this could be good advertising for them.  Mistakes happen at any business.....it is up to them to make it right if they want to get a good reputation and stay in business long term.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
FishWisher
YaBB Newbies

I need wind!

Stockton, CA
Reply #16 - 06/06/12 at 09:43:01

An update...

As a freak accident of nature, this shop has an '07 S40 on the showroom floor (he sells used Hardleys, mostly) that belongs to his main mechanic's mother. It has been there for months. I wouldn't pick the color (blue) myself, but it has only 750 miles on it.

I asked him about making a deal with me on that bike and just take my bike himself to repair and sell. I told him I'd be willing to pay a little extra since it's a year newer and has so few miles. He just got back to me and says he thinks he has a deal with the owner. It looks like I'll pay about $550 difference, and I'm fine with that. And he'll eat all the DMV fees whatever they are.

Of course it's only talk so far. But hopefully this deal will go through and I'll be cruising on a newer, bluer Suzy!  Cheesy  And he'll have proven that he's an honest dealer who makes mistakes right!

I'll keep ya posted.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #17 - 06/06/12 at 09:49:33

If you get it, check the oil before you leave..... Roll Eyes Grin Grin Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 06/06/12 at 10:06:19

SO... I'm guessing this is why you posted the question about buying a new motor... sounds like a good reason to need one! And probably easier and less expensive than trying to piece-meal the old one back together.
Either way, it seems like it's the shop's problem now, and they should pay for it and do the work to make it right. I sure hope it works out for you guys...
Good Luck!

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #19 - 06/06/12 at 10:47:09

I'd jump on the '07 (er, so to speak).   You get a nearly new bike, mileage wise, and wipe out all the motor issues in the process.   Make sure the break-in service was done, or do it right away.  The first one is the most important.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 06/06/12 at 10:50:49

Yeah, that sounds like a good deal for sure, and it also sounds like he's willing to do the right thing for you, which is very good. This will also get you back on the road right away, rather than waiting for them to re-build your original bike.
Cheers!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #21 - 06/06/12 at 14:22:14

Dont like the color? Swap the painted bits./

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FishWisher
YaBB Newbies

I need wind!

Stockton, CA
Reply #22 - 06/09/12 at 07:42:56

All's well that ends well! And this ended pretty darn well.

Tommy, owner of Full Throttle Motorcycles in Salida, Ca, mainly a Hardley tuning/repair shop, sold me the '07 Suzy S40 w/740 miles on it that he had on consignment for $600 - and the remains of my '06 Suzy his mechanic ruined by not putting oil in the crankcase.

Tommy bent over backwards to make this deal with me and as his customer I am more than pleased with his concern and willingness to make a mistake on his shop's part right.

My '06 had around 4500 miles on it. The $600 was for the move up one year and much less mileage of the '07. And the new bike runs like a fine watch. Tommy's shop put my windshield, bags and mirrors on the new bike, too.

Incidentally, the "mechanic" fresh out of WyoTech who screwed up my old Suzy was dismissed. Tommy wants to run a tight shop and my experience is that he does!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 06/09/12 at 08:35:00

I wouldnt be afraid to go back, but,paying someone to do an oil change? Naaah,, they dont own it & they arent studying it, making sure everything is Just So.  Doing basic maintenance is when we spot the little things that need done, spot O rust here or there, detail stuff that a paid mechanic isnt gonna be looking for, they want to do the oil change & go,, & thats how they put beans on the table, so theyre trying to go quickly. You mite take the time to dab that last bit of oil out of the filter pocket, he wont,
That thing is a good lookin machine, you cam out smellin like a rose,
you can sell your old one & not lose a dime, or keep it, find an engine, & sell it & come out way ahead. Or, make a rat or bobber out of it.
You pretty much scored,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 06/09/12 at 09:03:05

FishWisher wrote on 06/09/12 at 07:42:56:
Tommy, owner of Full Throttle Motorcycles in Salida, Ca, mainly a Hardley tuning/repair shop, sold me the '07 Suzy S40 w/740 miles on it that he had on consignment for $600 - and the remains of my '06 Suzy his mechanic ruined by not putting oil in the crankcase.

That one's a winner.
too bad it's way up north from me.

WWW   IP Logged
FishWisher
YaBB Newbies

I need wind!

Stockton, CA
Reply #25 - 06/10/12 at 12:20:46

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 06/09/12 at 08:35:00:
I wouldnt be afraid to go back, but,paying someone to do an oil change? Naaah,,...

Well, it was an (incomplete) oil change that led to the seizure, but I didn't take the bike to the shop for an oil change. I took it in because it was running so badly, and the infamous oil change was a part of that repair.

That whole story, which began over a year ago, is here if you're interested:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1299112753/0#0

After all is said and done, I love a happy ending!  Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #26 - 06/10/12 at 13:35:56

Pretty long saga, but, as you say, alls well that ends well.. Glad youre on the road again.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #27 - 06/10/12 at 21:24:17

One thing that comes to mind about this whole thing is...   any of us who are Savage versed would have looked at the oil level in the window after changing it, and before sending the bike out.  Not just as a safety check, but the standard procedure of topping oil off is based on the window level, at least it is for me.   I say that because I just completed my 7500 mile service, and was careful to check the level after running the motor up a few minutes to fill the filter cavity.   The person doing the maintenance on FishWisher's ride seemed not to have a clue about how to check oil level on this particular bike.   In fact, I would venture to say that he didn't know there was such a window.

I'm glad this ended well and to FishWisher's satisfaction - that's great, but I am also aware of many other situations don't end well, and that comes from both personal experience as well as other riders I've known.   This was a simple job that resulted in a ruined motor.   Imagine a partial engine tear down, or a rebuild, where the motor seizes a year later???    I'm not vilifying the shop; sh!t happens as we all know, but if I were manager, I'd recognize that procedures need to altered to catch such problems.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/30/24 at 02:39:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How many miles will an S40 run w/o any oil in it ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.