360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Re: Battery misfit
Reply #16 - 05/28/12 at 08:49:12

skeebo wrote on 05/27/12 at 11:35:24:
My bike is a 96 and the box is identical to yours.....open type hold down is simple....security might be a question for some.

The pictured one isn't mine; it's one from a '95.   Mine's a 2009, but has the same chamfer shape at the bottom.  I looked at pictures of boxes dating back to '87, which indicates the shape has been around forever.  This is why it seems to me that the problem should be more outspoken.   What I mean is, either I bought the ONE battery that won't fit the stock box, or everyone else is modifying their boxes to fit the squared off batteries, or a bunch of folks are returning batteries to the vendors?  If it's the latter case, then that's a whole lot of wasted money in shipping (batteries are heavy).

I spent all day yesterday searching for batteries online, and didn't see a single one that appeared to have a chamfer like the stock battery, at least not from the pictures.   This is why it is not making sense to me?   Normally, a universal problem like this will reach critical mass, and the vendors will change something.

BTW, I know I could hack something to solve the problem, as others have done or suggested, but I'd prefer to keep the bike stock if possible.   Note, this fiasco would be a non-issue if Suzuki had simply designed a square box, but instead they made this weird shape that doesn't fit the majority of the batteries out there.

FYI, the size of both my stock and new AGM battery is...

6 5/8  =  6.625  =  168mm    (H)
3 1/2  =  3.5    =   89mm      (W)
5 1/4  =  5.25   =  133mm    (L)

This is verified both by me physically measuring and the recommended Savage/S40 size from battery mfrs.

I did find one battery that has the same specs, except that it is slightly shorter in height (6.4in), which might be just enough to squeeze in.   I am tempted to order and cross my fingers...

http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcycle-batteries-detail.cfm?model=PTX14AHL-BS

It's frustrating, but thanks for your insight and suggestions.   It's nice having a supportive resource like this with its depth of experience.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 05/28/12 at 09:05:41

I had a glass mat that fit,, a Big Crank,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 05/28/12 at 10:43:18

I bought a agm magnapower battery from autozone 4 years ago and it fits like a glove. And the battery still is as good as the day I bought it. Never a single issue. 4 years is a great age for a motorcycle battery. If this one ever bites the dust, I'll get the same one again.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #19 - 05/28/12 at 13:12:37

ralfyguy wrote on 05/28/12 at 10:43:18:
I bought a agm magnapower battery from autozone 4 years ago and it fits like a glove. And the battery still is as good as the day I bought it. Never a single issue. 4 years is a great age for a motorcycle battery. If this one ever bites the dust, I'll get the same one again.

Autozone has one for $150 (yikes!), but even that one lists the same size as the one I have (that doesn't fit).

AGMs will wear out, but they generally last longer than wetcells and are maintenance free too, so a better choice in my opinion.   On my other bikes I usually get about 5 years of service, depending on how much it's ridden.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #20 - 05/28/12 at 13:32:38

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 05/28/12 at 14:07:00

big crank is a tight fit, but it does fit.

ps, never seen a stock battery and never turned one over to check for a chamfer either.

WWW   IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #22 - 05/28/12 at 14:44:18

I just went through the same problem replacing the stock battery with a Chinese "Power Source" sealed battery # WP14L-2, guaranteed to fit, at least according to the dealer's aftermarket parts catalog.  

Well, the new battery slid in 3/4 way before bottoming out on those protruding top brackets at the ground terminal side of the battery box.  I removed said box, trimmed foam, cussed some, and reworked said box profile scientifically with a hammer by pounding out the bottom chamfer and brackets till the new battery just squeezed in.  It is now an interference fit.

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #23 - 05/28/12 at 19:16:38

rokrover wrote on 05/28/12 at 14:44:18:
 I removed said box, trimmed foam, cussed some, and reworked said box profile scientifically with a hammer by pounding out the bottom chamfer and brackets till the new battery just squeezed in.  It is now an interference fit.  

I cussed a lot!   Probably alerted the neighbors to stay clear, and I am in a rural area where neighbors are a 1/4 mile away.  The wife of 30 years has already learned to hide when she recognizes this mode.   Anyway, I jimmied the box; bending , reshaping, lemme just say, it's no longer stock.  I didn't want to do it, but I figured...  A) if I don't, I will have to go thru this every time I need a new "guaranteed to fit" battery, and B) I can always get another stock batbox from eBay.

Again, the whole problem could have been eliminated if Zuk would just have made a square batbox.  It does piss me off tho that vendors claim fitment, but don't actually test to any extent.   Ahhh, if only I could re-engineer the world...

Now that said, allow me to attend to these fine BBQ ribs my somewhat timid wife has prepared on this Memorial Day.

IP Logged
Paraquat
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 05/29/12 at 06:26:22

Just ran into this in April.
My new battery didn't fit as well as the previous.
I made it fit, but it took manipulating. I thought it was just me.

--Steve

IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #25 - 05/29/12 at 06:50:42

I have not had a problem with the battery fitting but I did buy a battery that was supposed to be for the savage but the overflow drain was on the wrong side of the battery. Instead of being on the right side it is on the left and it is keeping the cover from screwing on flush. Right now I just have it crammed in there and the overflow drain tube is being pinched closed.

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #26 - 05/29/12 at 10:28:53

The Magnapower battery has rounded off edges so that is probably why it fit anyways. The measurements usually are from flat side to flat side. Things like radius edges are not mentioned in the description. Mine is a tight fit as well, however I didn't have to work around it. It slid in just fine.  If my battery had full sharp edges, it would not have fit either.
I paid $92 for my Magnapower back in the day, but I don't remember the specs like cranking amps or AH, it just worked flawless the whole time. I will gladly buy it again when the time comes.

IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #27 - 05/29/12 at 14:40:45

My bike is a 2005. I bought a big crank battery in 2010. It fits, you just have to flatten out the wire terminals.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 10:26:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery misfit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.