Battery misfit (Read 318 times)
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Battery misfit
05/26/12 at 19:30:55

I ordered a new glassmat battery from an outfit who said it fit Savage and S40, all models.   However, it doesn't!   My 2009 S40 has a chamfered battery box along its bottom, which matches a chamfered stock battery.   In other words, if you were to looking into the empty battery box, the chamfers would run along the bottom in the direction the battery slides in.    The new battery is squared off (not chamfered) on the bottom which causes it to be too high to fit in the box.   I'm wondering if all years of Savages & S40 have the chamfered box  or is it a more recent "innovation"?   It's important because I now have to return this battery (and pay shipping both ways), then get another, and I want it to fit.

The JOURNEY is the reward!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Battery misfit
Reply #1 - 05/26/12 at 19:34:39

Take a piece of cardboard & cut it to fit in the box.. ship that with the return.. I had NO idea they changed the battery box.. What is on the bike that fits in the chamfered area? Would another box fit & could you get it for less than freight both ways on a battery?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 05/26/12 at 19:36:13

Got caught by this a year ago, took a piece of 2X6 and a pry bar and jacked the battery box open just a tad so it would go in.   I got lucky, the lid went up and the tabs unfolded just a tad (and the welds held).

Your mileage may vary (or your welds might bust before the top moves up enough).

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 05/26/12 at 19:38:34

Or, you could have a look at the Open Carry battery box that ( dang, cant remember his name now), built. He also built the front pulley cover.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #4 - 05/26/12 at 19:45:17

Like I said, I got away with it, so my box now holds old standard and the new taller squarer glass mat batteries

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 05/26/12 at 19:48:33

I was typin while you were postin,, Id give it a go,, fix it or bust it,,Ill bet you can get a used on for cheap if ya wreck it.,.
Pssst,,

Mite ask around before ya get too crazed,.. JIC, yaknow?

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #6 - 05/26/12 at 20:33:55

Oldfeller, you sound like some of the old knucklehead owners I've known; i.e., "by god, I'll make her fit!"  LOL.  Honestly tho, I was tempted to do just what you said, but would rather keep things as they are (I just sold a 1980 Honda CB125 (thumper) that looked like I rolled it off the showroom floor).   The cardboard idea is a good one tho, to show the distributor the difference.   If they have the right battery, I'd take that over a refund, but they probably won't.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 05/26/12 at 20:38:15

Why dont ya ask if anyone would sell ya a battery box,, Ill bet that would cost less than freight X2..

IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #8 - 05/27/12 at 06:55:36

I found boxes all the way back to '87 (eBay) and they all have the chamfered bottom, so I'm wondering why these aftermarket companies are claiming they fit?   I really don't want to stay with a lead/acid battery, and its associated maintenance, but may have to.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 05/27/12 at 08:24:22

Maybe someone has one thats later model,, Who did the recent mod that he built his own? I dont think mine is anything but squared off,, its an 05.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #10 - 05/27/12 at 09:12:02

If you check the chart from Yuasa, the wet cell is a 14 and the sealed equivalent is a 12... or they used to be. Been a few years since I memorized the conversion charts. And there was no direct fit from the factory backwards terminal standard battery. I know the stock battery for my 98 fits Savages and a couple models of Honda, is stupid high from anywhere and doesn't last long... which is why I notched my battery box to fit an industry standard 14LA2. Which does have an absorbed glass mat equivalent for $50 at Wal-mart.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
360k+
Serious Thumper

Savage heart of
darkness

Cartersville, GA
Reply #11 - 05/27/12 at 10:02:27

Something about this issue just doesn't seem right?   What I mean is, I can't believe this isn't being sqwaked about more often here on the forum?   In any case, here is a box from a '95 clearly showing the chamfered bottom, but I've looked at many from different years and they all seem to have the chamfer characteristic...

At least for the AGM battery I bought with its squared bottom, the chamfer raises the battery up in the box so it won't clear the top of the box framework.   I measured the stock battery and the AGM battery and the square side-by-side measurements are exactly the same, but the stock battery has a chambered bottom on its case which matches the box.   At this point I've looked at probably 25 batteries "guaranteed to fit" and they all seem to have the squared bottom.  The round trip return postage (if it fits, it ships) is about $25, so you can see why I don't want to repeat this too many times.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 05/27/12 at 10:06:44

The cardboard profile will protect you from having a problem, or should,

Now that I see that, Im wondering if they arent all that way,, I wasnt exactly looking closely, but dang if that dont look like what I Think I remember seeing..
Give Skeebo a holler, he built his own, maybe you could get his old one & try the OldFeller bash on one,, or see if you like the Skeebo "Open Carry" battery box & maybe he would build ya one,,
Gotta be more than one way to skin this cat..

IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #13 - 05/27/12 at 10:53:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 05/26/12 at 19:38:34:
Or, you could have a look at the Open Carry battery box that ( dang, cant remember his name now), built. He also built the front pulley cover.

For Yuasa AGM mid-size

pulley_009.JPG

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
skeebo

Ride It Like U Stole
It........

Fresno, Cali
Reply #14 - 05/27/12 at 11:35:24

My bike is a 96 and the box is identical to yours.....open type hold down is simple....security might be a question for some.

95'......Its Kinda Like Bobber Rode A Rat Bike To A Cafe Race.....Thing
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/26/24 at 01:32:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Battery misfit

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.