Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
rear brake light not working (Read 179 times)
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
rear brake light not working
05/22/12 at 12:22:22

It comes on and stays on like it should but when I apply the brakes it doesn't illuminate any brighter to signal that I'm slowing down. I'm about to go down and look into it but I didn't know if any of you on here may have any ideas as to what it could be? Like a fuse or bad connector?

I figured if it were a bad connector then it wouldn't even be lighting up at all but I'm not positive.

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: rear brake light not working
Reply #1 - 05/22/12 at 12:33:53

Start with checking the bulb, has 2 elements and 1 might be burned out.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #2 - 05/22/12 at 12:35:48

I was hoping for a possibly easy solution   Cheesy

2007 ls650 s40, Ruby Red, Nighttrain muffler, pod air filter, 155 main, chain conversion, superbrace fork brace, vista cruise cruise control, and a helluva lotta fun
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 05/22/12 at 12:36:29

While you're there check for corrosion and make sure it makes good contact in the connector.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #4 - 05/23/12 at 10:39:53

I had the same problem...thought the brake light wasn't coming on, but it was on all the time.  Found the switch cable from the rear brake pedal was sticking and holding the switch closed.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #5 - 05/23/12 at 11:07:49

Where is the rear brake light switch?

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 05/23/12 at 11:43:56

brake light switch is on the right side, just above the swingarm.

if it were a snake it woulda bit ya right on the @$$

WWW   IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #7 - 05/23/12 at 12:45:25

...looks like a cable connected to a spring connected to another cable (which is connected to the switch).   Smiley

IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 05/23/12 at 14:22:35

I had a similar problem. The brake light would come on for the front brake but not the rear. It turned out that the cable had broke. I did notice though, that when I tried pulling on the cable it was seized. It took a couple minutes of playing around with it to work properly but it's good now. I actually reattached it to the brake lever with a guitar string ha ha.

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #9 - 05/24/12 at 10:22:02

gcsdls wrote on 05/23/12 at 10:39:53:
I had the same problem...thought the brake light wasn't coming on, but it was on all the time.  Found the switch cable from the rear brake pedal was sticking and holding the switch closed.  

I got to looking at the whole thing and this is exactly what i found to be the case on my bike too! Is this common at all? Have you had anymore trouble with it sticking again?

IP Logged
gcsdls

Midlife...about
time!

Arkansas
Reply #10 - 05/24/12 at 14:16:07

I just found it this past weekend.  I haven't fixed it yet. I ended up disconnecting it for the short term, since I use both brakes when I stop anyway.  Brake light then works for the front brake only.  

When I get a chance, I'll get that cable freed up...then I'll put the spring back on.   Smiley

IP Logged
vineman

Oh sweet Ruby how
you tease!

Mid MO
Reply #11 - 05/29/12 at 12:48:57

Been moving for the past week so I haven't been on here since but I did get a chance to look at my rear brake light cable and this is what I found.

It seems that I had a bad exhaust leak due to my shoddy attempt at adapting my dyna muffler to my exhaust, which did not go on as smoothly as others had implied.

Sorry for the bad focus in the photos. The leaves had all of my camera's attention.

I guess the cable just got so hot that it effected the cable inside the sleeve. I don't know what it did to the cable but it is a total b!tch to get the cable to move in the sleeve at all. even with pliers grabbing the light end of the cable it takes about all I have to get it to budge. And then once I have it set back where it should be, if I hit the rear brake lever the cable sticks again leaving the light on. I guess a new cable it is! Maybe eBay?

Sorry for the bad focus in the photos, the moving leaves had all of my camera's attention.

IP Logged
Dalziel_A
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 05/29/12 at 15:42:26

Yeah for me it just seemed that pulling it in and out a few times with needle nosed pliers loosened it up and now it works no problem. I guess your exhaust must have melted the outer part of the cable to the steel part. ? Just a guess. Either way, you can find new or used ones on eBay for around 15-25$.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 03:55:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › rear brake light not working

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.