Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Re: Louder exhaust sound
Reply #30 - 05/03/12 at 19:01:12

Routy wrote on 05/03/12 at 15:19:08:
If it runs good, ride it.

Agreed!  Cool

Routy wrote on 05/03/12 at 15:19:08:
Do a S plug read after a good run, if it not white like hot, don't fix it, ride it !

OK, ya lost me..."S plug read"?

Thx!
Dave

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 05/03/12 at 19:05:53

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspark plug

ya ever seen our tech section?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1126253987

WWW   IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #32 - 05/03/12 at 19:13:31

martinfilms34 wrote on 05/03/12 at 16:11:46:
I just did the little drill mod, and i gotta say i like it alot better.
Other than the louder and a bit deeper sound it gets heads turning. And I mean that in a way that people, and cars notice you more, making it justa bit safer . Which to me is the main advantage of the louder pipes.

Cool.  Yeah, I agree...if it's loud enough that people *hear* you, that sure seems like a good thing to me.  But hey, any excuse will work to justify making it a little louder, right?  Cool

My lady friend and I are both learning...and I am just loving this bike.  I first picked up a cheap used Chinese 250cc cruiser about a month ago, kinda on a whim, and started practicing in my neighborhood.  It was OK (got it really cheap and it's in great condition)...but man, it's heavy (as heavy as an S50!) and hard to balance (at least for me as a beginner). Then ladyfriend wanted a bike...I researched it, and we found her a little GZ-250 (since that's what they use in the safety classes here locally)...perfect for her, but it just felt too pokey for me.  Then I stumbled across the S40's, spotted one local, snagged it at a pretty good price, and been loving it since I got it home.  Now, of course, she loves the S40 (feels and handles just like her GZ250, except that it's a little heavier and taller, and quite a bit quicker). The Chinese 250cc is for sale cheap now.  Cool  Not a complaint, it got me started so that I better knew what I liked, so it's all good.  I think the S40 is just a fabulous beginner bike...lightweight and forgiving enough that my dumb-ass can handle it  Wink, but still got enough guts that I probably won't get bored with it any time soon.  And, about the same price most of the 250's local in my area.  

Just itching for the exhaust to be a little louder and more aggressive though...it sounds like I'm riding a sewing machine!   Grin

Cheers!
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #33 - 05/03/12 at 19:14:22

verslagen1 wrote on 05/03/12 at 19:05:53:
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssspark plug

ya ever seen our tech section?

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1126253987

Embarrassed  Oh, duh!  I'll check it out...again... Smiley

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Wake51

Murphy's Law

St. Louis
Reply #34 - 05/04/12 at 01:59:31

Replace with the HD muffler which you can find loads of info on here for.

Honestly it may be too loud for some. I enjoy it, and my bike has a unique sound on this 30,000 student university campus. Just set off 2 car alarms today when my roommate came up while I was putting on my helmet and romped the throttle. Whoops!!

But seriously... I get complaints from riders in formation behind me. I'm shocked by how loud the Savage is under load with an after market muffler. It doesn't make a scene at idle but under load it competes with my 1200 Harley and I have to say wins... o.0

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #35 - 05/04/12 at 05:34:57

LOL.  Well, I'd like it to be louder, but not so obnoxiously loud that it sets off car alarms and such. I have really good neighbors in my neighborhood (for the most part, there are a couple of PITA's), and I'd like to keep it that way.  Wink  I'll start with the drill mod, and see if that satisfies my tastes.

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #36 - 05/04/12 at 05:55:59

Yeah, try out the drill mod, you don't really have much to lose of you are aiming for a louder and deeper sound. And best of all it's free.
   I am loving my savage too, it runs great and I got an amazing deal on it for only a grand. Its a bit older at an 87 but has only 6500 miles, and looks like new. I think it's the perfect bike for me, to use to ride to school, friends houses, and around town. And still has enough power for the highway.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #37 - 05/04/12 at 07:22:45

So, I just took a look and the brass plug covering the idle mixture adjustment screw has already been removed on my bike.  Cool.

My bike backfires just a little.  I'd assume that when I drill the holes in the stock muffler, that's going to make the mixture a little more lean, which will make it backfire more (and louder since the muffler will be drilled.)  So, based on the article you guys pointed me to, I will probably need to set the already exposed idle mixture screw a little richer to minimize the backfiring after drilling the stock muffler.  

Do I have this right?   Shocked

Also, the idle mixture adjustment screw (the one originally under the brass plug) only sets the mixture for idle.  Right?  (I understand that's also different from the idle speed adjustment screw, which is the long screw with the black plastic knob on it.)  So...re-jetting would allow a richer mixture at speed, so that's the reason to possibly consider re-jetting at some point. Do I have these details right, or no?  LOL.

I'm enjoying learning all this btw...you guys have a lot of info here to sort through and understand when to do it or not.

Thx!
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #38 - 05/04/12 at 10:25:08

OK...I just drilled the 4 rivets out and made 4 holes...I enlarged the holes up to 13/32" (the largest bit my cordless drill will hold, can't seem to put my hands on my larger drill at the moment).   Very nice...much deeper exhaust note (kinda like tuning the port size on a subwoofer, I guess)...now it sounds more like a souped-up Volkwagon Beetle instead of a sewing machine.  LOL.  It doesn't seem to backfire any more than it did, but I'll judge that after a good ride or two.  

I guess that VW Beetle-ish "whistle" is just inherent to a larger single-cylinder air-cooled engine, eh?  Doesn't sound as Beetle-ish when revving the throttle though.  

Did I mention I'm really liking this bike?  Cool

Cheers!
Dave

IP Logged
sdlc808
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #39 - 05/04/12 at 11:25:55

Just switched my stock cricket cage to an EMGO Shorty and it sounds great!  Just waiting for my K&N filter...What? You need to speak louder...I can't hear a word you're saying Grin

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #40 - 05/04/12 at 13:23:57

sdlc808 wrote on 05/04/12 at 11:25:55:
...What? You need to speak louder...I can't hear a word you're saying Grin

LOL.

I've turned the air/fuel mix screw quite a few 1/4 turns counter-clockwise (and riding it hot).  It still backfires some, but not much.  The screw is still "inside" the threaded section though (meaning you can see some of the threads in the hole still above the screw, it's not flush with the end of the threads yet).  How many more quarter turns ya reckon I got before it's too loose and might fall out?

Really liking the simple exhaust mod...man, it sounds like a different bike now, especially under throttle and load.  Cool

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #41 - 05/09/12 at 15:24:40

So, I found my larger drill (LOL) and expanded the 4 holes I made to 1/2" each.  The exhaust tone got deeper.  This is akin to tuning a subwoofer's low frequency response by adjusting the port size, I guess.

I've adjusted the fuel/air mix screw a little more, and it's still backfiring occasionally.  I did notice that it seemed to backfire more on a hot/humid day than a hot/less humid day...I read in the tech thread that this might actually indicate the mix is too rich.  (It may have already been adjusted since the brass plug was already removed when I got the bike.) The revs never changed audibly when I was adjusting the mix screw, so I think I may screw it all the way back in and kinda start over with the carb adjustment part.  Tongue

Dave

IP Logged
wambr
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Russia, Samara
Reply #42 - 05/11/12 at 04:51:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/27/12 at 21:13:52:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/Phirevixen/Di_AlterEgo_Savage8g.jpg

REally? YOu call that attractive?
a silencer there? I don't see much for a girl! Smiley
p.s. sorry for flood/

IMO,, that muffler is just not the right size for the bike..

& YES, there IS an exhaust pipe in that pic,,
I know, I know,, its hard to see,,

Yeah, it's not bigtwin, but it is the best half of it
  IP Logged
Nskawtea
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 05/31/12 at 12:36:23

For anyone interested, I'll post up a link to my drilled exhaust mod Smiley

IP Logged
Nskawtea
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #44 - 05/31/12 at 15:05:53

http://youtu.be/a--bJtqHPUU

Here is the exhaust mod video Smiley enjoy!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:21:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.