Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Louder exhaust sound (Read 1774 times)
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Re: Louder exhaust sound
Reply #15 - 04/29/12 at 19:07:52

I am about to do the drilling mod this week to my 2012 S40. Anybody recommend the (8) 5/16" drilled holes or the 4 1/2" drilled holes. I noticed a few people had the (8) 5/16" holes and really liked it with no jetting and that is kind of where I am leading! I am out for a little louder exhaust. Nothing extremely loud!

IP Logged
Nskawtea
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 04/29/12 at 21:44:38

The (8) 5/16 should be just fine. Just duplicate the other guys picture and you'll get a very nice sound. The sound is louder and throaty but not loud enough to get you pulled over

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #17 - 04/29/12 at 21:56:50

Drilling a 1/2 hole takes a lot more Ooomph than a 5/16ths, 8 small holes would look better than 4 fat ones, IMO, & you may run into something inside that jams up the bigger bit, we can see a pic of a very successful job. Id do it that way.
4X1/2"= .7854 square inches
8X5/16" = .6136

Or maybe Im not gettin that rite,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #18 - 04/29/12 at 22:52:12

4X1/2"= .7854 square inches
8X5/16" = .6136

Or maybe Im not gettin that rite,,
-------------------------------------------
If you used the pie x radius squared, then why would there be a doubt in your mind ? Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 04/29/12 at 23:02:39

Just seems like 4 half inch holes otta make for more area than that..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #20 - 05/01/12 at 17:29:20

Routy

Could you post the link or url to the posting of the white spacer mod that you did? I looked for it but was not successful. I'd just like to see how it is done so I can eventually do it. Is it all instructions telling you how to do it or is it pictures and instructions. Anyways if you could help me, I'd be a happy camper.

I ended up putting 4 5/16" holes in the end plate baffle and will be adding four more tomorrow after work. Just in the same order as you. I also ordered a powerstar spark plug tonight. Going to try that out also.

Thank you.

Jacob

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #21 - 05/02/12 at 05:39:48

Jacob,
I really never posted or pictured a how to. I just warned (cautioned) about the 2 little bitty screws that are very tight. Some say you can use a little HF impact driver, but I just used brute force pressure on the driver,....don't let it slip !
Other than that, can I remember ??
You take the tank off (or twist the carb) and take out the 3....or is it 4 screws that hold the cover on top of the slide that contains the needle/white spacer. Then comes those 2 little bitty screws.
If you not scared of carbs, not a problem.

If any of this is not correct,...help !! Shocked

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 05/02/12 at 08:05:31

HF impact comes with a skinny little long phillips. Its worth the few bucks to know, going in, that youll get those out & not screw it up.

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #23 - 05/02/12 at 15:19:21

Hi folks!  I'm a new owner of a 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40.  I've been lurking for a couple days now, and glad I found you folks.  

So, stock exhaust on my bike, and I agree it's too quiet...I like the idea of drilling 8 - 5/16" holes in the existing muffler.  How deep do I need to drill these holes?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Jacob

2012 Suzuki S40 650

Ford City, PA
Reply #24 - 05/02/12 at 15:23:18

Just drill them right through that rear baffle plate and you'll be happy. I am! Just do it same as Routy in this post. It's only like 1/8" think plate, if that. You'll know when your through. Good luck and hope you like it!

IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #25 - 05/03/12 at 06:56:21

Cool  deal.  Cool  Since adding holes reduces back-pressure, will I need to make any carb adjustments after doing this, or no?

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #26 - 05/03/12 at 08:24:49

Dave Sisk wrote on 05/03/12 at 06:56:21:
Cool  deal.  Cool  Since adding holes reduces back-pressure, will I need to make any carb adjustments after doing this, or no?

Cheers,
Dave

Did you read page one of this thread ?
Rejetting is a matter of different conditions and/or opinion.
I myself saw no need to rejet.

Rich
  IP Logged
Dave Sisk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #27 - 05/03/12 at 11:24:36

Yup, I did...so much info that I'm trying to get it all straight.  Wink  

The re-jetting sounds simple enough that I could do it with breaking anything (I'm pretty handy, but haven't worked much with engines). I'm trying to figure where removing the plug in the carb fits into the picture though, and if re-jetting is still necessary after removing the plug.  

Regardless, not planning to do any carb stuff anytime soon unless drilling the exhaust kinda requires it to keep the same torque/HP.  I'd rather get some seat time first and get accustomed to the bike and riding.  I'm a new rider, and learning a lot of stuff at the moment.  Tongue

Cheers,
Dave

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #28 - 05/03/12 at 15:19:08

If it runs good, ride it. If its a bit lean, you're not going to hurt it, unless you are really horseing it hard,......like  WOT on a hot day. Do a S plug read after a good run, if it not white like hot, don't fix it, ride it !

The idle mix screw is just that,....it controls idle to fast idle speeds. It does nothing for running rich/lean at speed.

Rich
  IP Logged
martinfilms34

Teenagers ride
savages too!

Orlando, Florida
Reply #29 - 05/03/12 at 16:11:46

I just did the little drill mod, and i gotta say i like it alot better.
Other than the louder and a bit deeper sound it gets heads turning. And I mean that in a way that people, and cars notice you more, making it justa bit safer . Which to me is the main advantage of the louder pipes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 03:04:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.