Send Topic Print
Louder exhaust sound (Read 1774 times)
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Re: Louder exhaust sound
Reply #90 - 08/23/20 at 07:21:59

If just louder is what you are after, drilling the plate will accomplish that. But if you want a deeper sound then a different muffler is the better option.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #91 - 08/23/20 at 09:36:06

Wild1OR wrote on 08/23/20 at 02:21:02:
Fast 650 wrote on 08/23/20 at 00:05:16:
The best bang for the buck option is to get a Harley Dyna muffler and rejet the carb to match. The exhaust tone will be much better and it will sound like a motorcycle instead of a Briggs & Stratton. It isn't loud enough to cause problems and the performance increase makes it worth doing anyway. There is a thread here somewhere about which Dyna mufflers are bolt on replacements, as well as how to rejet the carb to work with the Dyna.

Also, the last post on this thread was over 8 years ago so some of the information that you have read may be outdated now.

Yes, I read about the alternatives, but my inquiry is regarding drilling holes in the baffle plate.

Being that the question is related, I saw no point in starting a new thread and beginning the conversation from scratch. Most of the threads that I found regarding this topic were about the same age and older.

New information and results will certainly be welcome.  Smiley

I bit th bullet, dropped th cash, got a Supertrapp and an extra set of baffles. With 14 baffles it sounded good and the carb was still easy to tune.
BUT,, The difference in sound and performance with a $20.00 Dyna , while noticeable, wasnt even almost enough of a difference to make a Supertrapp woth it.
Now,, the guys who Are mechanics and do flow bench work on the head and install O2 sensor to help them tune it, running the big piston and just going all out to squeeze that last part of a horsepower MIGHT justify the Supertrapp.
The reason youre not seeing more recent solutions to the exhaust question is,,
and pun intended,,
These guys have exhausted those options, looking for an economically viable, Good solution to gettin rid of that chrome trash can Suzuki calls a muffler,That thing is big, ugly, too restrictive and weighs a ton,,

The general consensus is
Dyna

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #92 - 08/23/20 at 11:20:00

Wild1, I run a modified stock muffler and it works well.  It may not be as pleasing to the eye as a Dyna muffler, but it is not nearly as loud.  It doesn't sound all choked off like the completely stock muffler, but its still quiet enough to easily pass our local safety inspection and does not attract undue attention.

This old post is extensive.  It will show you exactly what's inside the stock muffler, how the exhaust gasses flow through it, how to open it up, and various options for improving the flow through the muffler.  I have increased the size of the external transit tube #3 shown in the post.  I am currently running a 3/4" external tube and it works excellent.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1526453881

You don't have to do all of the modifications, and the post should give you a good understanding of how the stock muffler works.

BTW, nothing will ever make the Savage sound good.  It's a thumper.  It will never have the deep muscular rumble of a V-Twin.  It will always emulate farm equipment.  :'(

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #93 - 08/23/20 at 12:39:44

It will always emulate farm equipment.  :'(

I guess thats true, since Ive never seen a farm that didnt have a mower,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

WTF is JOG?
Reply #94 - 08/23/20 at 15:58:41

I love the sound of my dyna equipped 650!!!  Guess I just love old farm equipment too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 01:45:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.