Louder exhaust sound (Read 1774 times)
walkingscar1943
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Louder exhaust sound
04/26/12 at 09:20:24

Cheers all,

A question for you techies.  Is it possible to sweeten the exhaust note on my 2009?  I do not care for loud sounds but a little louder than stock would be ok.  Also can this be done without changing carb or air intakes?  I think the  one lunger might sound nice.

Walkingscar

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Louder exhaust sound
Reply #1 - 04/26/12 at 09:24:42

You could drill some holes in the back end of that barge they call a muffler, or, drop $20.00 & stick a Dyna muffler on it, mellow sound, deeper, throatier sound, most likely require rejetting, either way,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 04/26/12 at 09:39:46

stock bikes are jetted lean to begin with.
openning up the muffler make it leaner.
get a jet kit from lancer and read up on carb tuning in the tech section.
Then go for it.
either a little ventilating with a drill, dyna muff or hartman mod will provide a better sound.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 04/26/12 at 09:56:52

If you live above 3k ft... it might not need a rejet, less than that and you probably will...

This is not a carb change... just slightly bigger jets... Very easy to do, and cost about $10...

Just don't open up too much... this bike will get loud very easily...
Too open, and you'll be setting off car alarms for blocks... Huh...

Harley take-off mufflers do a great job without drilling holes. and they're cheap...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 04/26/12 at 12:43:08

You could check out the ones that the RYCA guys are using too; several of those guys have complained that they are too loud, but if that floats yer boat....

They are made by EMGO, and any of their slip-on mufflers will work as long as they have the right inlet size for the header; I know MOTOBUDDAH flirted with a different style of emgo pipe.

Supertrapp also makes a few different models that will fit; again, find out the pipe size that you need to connect to and search that way; if you just look for LS650, or Savage, or S40 you won't find as much...

I got mine for free from my buddy Jay!! No idea what it is, but it looks awesome... bet it's going to be really loud too, so I'm thinking it'll need some extra baffling inside to calm it down.

If you are changing the exhaust and re-jetting it might be a good time to switch to a pod filter to take full advantage of the extra power you can get. There are tons of folks who have done these mods in the tech section, so everything you need is there to find if you just search a little bit...

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/26/12 at 15:59:47

If you buy an Emgo or Motoasia muffler, expect to be disappointed... Unless you really like flaming wads of rusty packing and baffling flying out the back of your bike.

If you like the look of the cheapy mufflers, gut them and repack with something decent. I run an empty 12" glasspack into a 29" fishtail pipe, which has a real baffle stuck in the end. I think a 12" baffle. And a handful of copper dish scouring pads tossed in to kind of calm things down.

Best sound for a Savage? Turn down exhaust tip where the muffler used to be. Sounds like a Chinook helicopter, Emgo mufflers it sounds like a Huey. Turn down tip will blow holes in your yard on shutdown. That's how I used to get rid of fire ant nests...

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 04/27/12 at 03:29:24

WD wrote on 04/26/12 at 15:59:47:
If you buy an Emgo or Motoasia muffler, expect to be disappointed... Unless you really like flaming wads of rusty packing and baffling flying out the back of your bike.

If you like the look of the cheapy mufflers, gut them and repack with something decent. I run an empty 12" glasspack into a 29" fishtail pipe, which has a real baffle stuck in the end. I think a 12" baffle. And a handful of copper dish scouring pads tossed in to kind of calm things down.

Best sound for a Savage? Turn down exhaust tip where the muffler used to be. Sounds like a Chinook helicopter, Emgo mufflers it sounds like a Huey. Turn down tip will blow holes in your yard on shutdown. That's how I used to get rid of fire ant nests...

Ahhhh, so that's the secret to killing those pesky little buggers !!!!!!!

IP Logged
mayor4u
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 04/27/12 at 09:08:58

I found that if you look at the back of the stock muffler, you'll notice 4 pop rivets seemingly to hold the baffle assembly in, if you drill those out and open them up with a large unibit, approx 1/2 "  ( be sure to take a magnet and get ALL the shavings out) it provides better breathing, a nice throaty sound and you can still maintain the great looks of the stock unit, and it seems its not enough difference air to fuel wise to require different jetting Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 04/27/12 at 09:54:13

you can still maintain the great looks of the stock unit,

Aaaack,,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 04/27/12 at 09:58:20

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 04/27/12 at 09:54:13:
you can still maintain the great looks of the stock unit,

Aaaack,,

+1 HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #10 - 04/27/12 at 14:00:34

I like the look of the stock exhaust. That's why mine has the baffle missing and on the superslab wound out in every gear it sounds like a Nascar.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 04/27/12 at 21:04:14

To me, the DYNA sounds mean but not obnoxious.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 04/27/12 at 21:13:52

REally? YOu call that attractive?

IMO,, that muffler is just not the right size for the bike..

& YES, there IS an exhaust pipe in that pic,,
I know, I know,, its hard to see,,

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #13 - 04/28/12 at 07:36:05

No rejetting

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Nskawtea
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 04/29/12 at 08:58:33

Routy

I did the same thing after looking around this site and I'm happy I drilled then. More throaty sound. Like a Suzuki sv650 with a modded exhaust when I let off the gas Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/09/24 at 07:20:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Louder exhaust sound

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.