Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION?? (Read 735 times)
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION??
Reply #15 - 11/20/11 at 08:20:33

see the supercharged savage video posted in the cafe pause @1:24..
looks good to me Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/20/11 at 11:49:05

That's pretty awesome alright!!
As far as the chain tensioner goes though, it's set up like al the one's I've seen elsewhere; it's on a rigid frame bike, and used to maintain tension on the LOWER length of the chain.

I was thinking of using the same device, but on the UPPER length of chain on a bike with normal shocks, and that changes the dynamics of the situation...
I suspect MotoBuddah is right; since the top length of chain is held in tension by the pull of the motor, then using one that is spring loaded might not be necessary. Just a little fixed cog welded to the swingarm should do the trick. After all, it will rise and fall with the swingarm. I'd probably have to be really ringing the Be-Jeebus out of it to get it to pop off of there...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 11/20/11 at 11:51:54

If you're going to put one on the top side, it's going to see a lot of load.
so brace accordingly.

WWW   IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/21/11 at 13:20:52

Thanks Verslagen...
That's exactly what I was thinking too. I'm having a Pow-Wow with mt builder friend who's in charge of this project on Saturday, so we'll see what he says about the whole thing. He's the one who's all hot to do the chain conversion, so I'm sure he'll do it right...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #19 - 11/23/11 at 12:16:07

Ladies and gentlemen, an 18T sprocket in place. Plenty of room.

With this 18T on the front and a 49T on the rear, there's about 3/16" clearance between the chain and top of the swingarm with no load on the bike.  The 49T might sacrifice too much top end, but I could probably go down to a smaller one, like 47T. I'll see how this rides first.

« Last Edit: 11/23/11 at 17:33:59 by MotoBuddha »  

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 11/24/11 at 18:30:07

THANKS AGAIN BUDDAH!
It sure looked like there was plenty of room in there. I'll definitely be going that size then.

I wonder what Hutch was referring to in his original post; where he says it won't fit. Maybe it was hitting something on the stock bike that is gone from the RYCA version? Maybe the chain hits something differently with the stock shocks?

All I know is that this will work great for me!!
Cheers!

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 11/27/11 at 11:37:24

So Buddah,

You're going with a 49/18 which gives a ratio of 2.72 according to JT's charts.
You say that this might rob you of some Top-end speed, but it's still taller than the stock ratio of 2.957.

Most of the guys with stock wheels are doing 43/17 which gives a 2.53 ratio. This looks on paper like a pretty large change in ratio from stock; is that change really creating much faster top speeds? Without sacrificing low and mid-range acceleration?

It seems to me that if you factor in the larger rear tire on your RYCA conversion, you'd get more top end anyway, so perhaps your 49/18 ratio makes more sense for your (and mine too...) application than it would for a stock bike...

And yet RpnSht says in his build thread that he would use 45/18...
Maybe that's just him? After all, he is "RpnSht"

I'm just thinking out loud; juggling all these numbers is making my head hurt a little...

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #22 - 11/27/11 at 12:22:12

I'm thinkin' the seat of the pants chart is the one that will matter. I'll try it and see if I like it.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 11/27/11 at 19:31:58

OK, I hear that!
But hurry up and get that thing on the road!
I gotta order sprockets for this beast pretty soon... Wink

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 12/01/11 at 09:27:29

SO....
After scrambling my brains with all of these numbers and getting myself into a tizzy over it all, I've decided to just split the difference between Buddah, and Ripn'

18t front, 47t rear. It'll be months before this thing is road-worthy, and since I never got to ride the Savage before we started this build, I won't have anything to compare it to anyway, but WHAT THE HELL! Gotta start somewhere...

Thanks everyone for all of your ideas and input. It really was very helpful, and I feel like I have a much better (if not absolutely complete) understanding of how all of this gearing stuff works...

CHEERS!

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #25 - 12/05/11 at 06:35:27

Given the standard ratio of 2.95:1, my orientation would be to fit a 45 tooth rear and a 15 tooth front to maintain the original ratio, with option to upgrade to 16 or even 17 tooth front sprockets as required.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #26 - 12/05/11 at 06:56:58

mpescatori wrote on 12/05/11 at 06:35:27:
Given the standard ratio of 2.95:1, my orientation would be to fit a 45 tooth rear and a 15 tooth front to maintain the original ratio, with option to upgrade to 16 or even 17 tooth front sprockets as required.

But if you're doing a Ryca conversion, or anything else with longer shocks, there's a clearance problem between the swingarm and the top part of the chain. Larger sprockets front and rear take care of the problem while smaller ones, like a 15T make it worse.

Here's a crappy shot of the clearance with an 18/49 combo, 12.5" shocks, no load on the bike -- and a little of the top front end of the swingarm ground down:

With a 17/45 the chain was about 1/16" off the swingarm.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 12/05/11 at 10:15:39

YES!
And I'm expecting to have some clearance issues myself.
I've got 18/47t sprockets, and 13" shocks, so I'm expecting to just barely clear the swingarm, and I am NOT inclined to grind it down if I don't have to. (RipnSht ground all the way through his trying to fit 17/45 sprockets on his RYCA bike and still scarred up the top of his swingarm.) I'll be installing some sort of nylon/delrin slider pad on the top of the swingarm when the time comes. (Might be next weekend! We will see...) Roll Eyes

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 12/30/11 at 20:36:10

if i did it again i would go with 49/18
im sure the difference between 49/18 and 45/17 is impossible to tell with all the other factors going on
but i would still mod the swing arm accordingly

IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 12/31/11 at 12:27:33

49/18? Huh? Did I miss-read your older post? I thought you'd said earlier you'd go 45/18. What do you imagine the difference would be? Do you miss the low-end torque?

My buddy Jay and I got distracted by the Holidays and all that talk of Mono-shock conversion (probably a dead horse at this point, we'll see...) So nothing has happened for a while, but he's bringing the bike up to me next Thursday, and we are going to spend some quality Man-Time in my garage, so I'l be sure to post an update after all that... Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/08/24 at 12:03:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › RYCA WITH CHAIN CONVERSION??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.