Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #765 - 04/07/12 at 14:41:04

Boule’tard wrote on 04/06/12 at 10:50:49:
LOL  Grin   Well you did indeed get a greater rise out of the two slices of bread than the snicker bar!  'course the peanuts might be slowing the sugar uptake.. the same reason arteacher puts PB on toast.

I answered your PM about the WB forum, let me know if you did not get the reply (the PM system is hit-or-miss these days)..  

Exactly.  When you add in any significant amount of fiber or protein, it typically decreases the GI.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #766 - 04/07/12 at 19:14:52

Savage_Rob wrote on 04/07/12 at 14:41:04:
Boule’tard wrote on 04/06/12 at 10:50:49:
LOL  Grin   Well you did indeed get a greater rise out of the two slices of bread than the snicker bar!  'course the peanuts might be slowing the sugar uptake.. the same reason arteacher puts PB on toast.

I answered your PM about the WB forum, let me know if you did not get the reply (the PM system is hit-or-miss these days)..  

Exactly.  When you add in any significant amount of fiber or protein, it typically decreases the GI.

The overall point was to "mythbuster" the claim that two slices of whole wheat bread (lots of fiber, eh?) give you a greater spike than a snickers bar.  
 -- Two slices of whole wheat bread spiked me to 161. (A bowl of oatmeal spiked me to 166!!!)
 -- The snickers bar spiked me to 144.  

When you add significant amounts of fiber or protein, it decreases the GI some.  If I would have had a couple psyllium caplets and a couple bites of a cow's ass with the snickers bar, the blood sugar spike might have been 140 instead of 144.  

Study this stuff for a while and you'll really get a scary respect for how harmful blood sugar spikes are.  I am going to spend the rest of my life trying to keep my blood sugar level a smooth 75 to 85.  It's a huge factor for longevity and for quality of life when you get old, and I'm pretty close to being old!!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #767 - 04/07/12 at 23:12:39

Gyro,.. there is something you're not telling us about your health...
I was under the impression that you were basically healthy, but maybe a few pounds overweight....
You check your blood sugar fanatically... This is not normal...
I've never checked my blood sugar in my life, and neither has most healthy people...

If you are diabetic, or extremely obese, or have some genetic imbalance or intolerance,... perhaps this radical food diet is important to your personal well-being...
... but,.. you have been giving the impression that it should be followed by everybody...  and Dr.WB seems to do the same...
Like it's some curse that effects all mankind...

As surprising as it may be to you,... I, and I believe most people, don't feel any different, metabolically, if I eat two doughnuts or if I eat a chicken salad...
I feel full or empty, hungry or satisfied,.. but, that's all...

So,.. are you sicker than we think,.. or are you a hypochondriac?...
... 'cause,.. I don't even know how to check my blood sugar, and I bet most people don't... unless they are diabetic... or something...  
There's nothing wrong with being attentive to that if you need to, but average people don't...
And, average people don't need this kind of diet...

This is what bothers me about this thread...  You are telling everybody that they really need to do this... and they don't...
... maybe you do... maybe some others do... but, it isn't even healthy for most people...
A healthy adult needs food from the four main food food groups.  ... and it's not some giant conspiracy to make everyone sick...
... and Paleo man wasn't immune to cancer,or arthritis, or anything... he was just the same as us, but tended to die younger from injury, cold, infection, or even rotten teeth...
No magic here,.. no revelation,.. not even a side note to the local news...
Dr.WB is either a quack, or supremely off-track... but, he's making a fortune,.. and he should be paying you a cut of his profits...

Eat a balance of foods, none to excess, and avoid high calorie, high fat, foods,... and move your body...
... and don't worry...
that's my weakness,.. I'm a worrier...  
I don't need a new diet,.. I need to let go... become zen...
... obviously I don't,.. and that explains this rant...

No real personal offence intended, but this WB guy has been promoted for over 50 pages on a motorcycle site...
... and he is most assuredly a money grubbing quack...

... and I didn't read his idiot book... don't need to, never will...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #768 - 04/08/12 at 05:23:28

Serowbot wrote on 04/07/12 at 23:12:39:
Gyro,.. there is something you're not telling us about your health...
I was under the impression that you were basically healthy, but maybe a few pounds overweight....
You check your blood sugar fanatically... This is not normal...
I've never checked my blood sugar in my life, and neither has most healthy people...

If you are diabetic, or extremely obese, or have some genetic imbalance or intolerance,... perhaps this radical food diet is important to your personal well-being...
... but,.. you have been giving the impression that it should be followed by everybody...  and Dr.WB seems to do the same...
Like it's some curse that effects all mankind...

As surprising as it may be to you,... I, and I believe most people, don't feel any different, metabolically, if I eat two doughnuts or if I eat a chicken salad...
I feel full or empty, hungry or satisfied,.. but, that's all...

So,.. are you sicker than we think,.. or are you a hypochondriac?...
... 'cause,.. I don't even know how to check my blood sugar, and I bet most people don't... unless they are diabetic... or something...  
There's nothing wrong with being attentive to that if you need to, but average people don't...
And, average people don't need this kind of diet...

This is what bothers me about this thread...  You are telling everybody that they really need to do this... and they don't...
... maybe you do... maybe some others do... but, it isn't even healthy for most people...
A healthy adult needs food from the four main food food groups.  ... and it's not some giant conspiracy to make everyone sick...
... and Paleo man wasn't immune to cancer,or arthritis, or anything... he was just the same as us, but tended to die younger from injury, cold, infection, or even rotten teeth...
No magic here,.. no revelation,.. not even a side note to the local news...
Dr.WB is either a quack, or supremely off-track... but, he's making a fortune,.. and he should be paying you a cut of his profits...

Eat a balance of foods, none to excess, and avoid high calorie, high fat, foods,... and move your body...
... and don't worry...
that's my weakness,.. I'm a worrier...  
I don't need a new diet,.. I need to let go... become zen...
... obviously I don't,.. and that explains this rant...

No real personal offence intended, but this WB guy has been promoted for over 50 pages on a motorcycle site...
... and he is most assuredly a money grubbing quack...

... and I didn't read his idiot book... don't need to, never will...

Wow,.. you are really way off base here.  

I am way healthier than the average 65 y.o. American.  I always have been.  I've always eaten pretty responsibly and exercised a lot.  For a couple of decades I easily stayed within the USAF's weight limits.  For decades I've had FAA Class I and II med certificates.  I've never been "a few pounds overweight."  Nowhere close.  I still run 5k runs.  I won my class last year once.

I don't check blood sugar fanatically.  
 -- I have done it four times in my whole life.  Over the past couple of months I wanted to get first hand info on what happens to this human bod under some "lab experiment" situations so my debating points will have more credibility.  
 -- I think I'm done "falling on grenades" for the sake of debate now.  I don't like giving myself blood sugar spikes,... I only did this to prove or disprove the Doc's claims about a bowl of oatmeal, and about two slices of wheat bread causing a blood sugar spike larger than a snickers bar.  He is quite right about those blood sugar spikes, as my recent posts show.

I am nowhere near diabetic.  Those who give themselves blood sugar spikes every day (most Americans) are likely candidates, though.

Average people DO need to know about this.  
 -- Your ignorance of what eating wheat (and other grains) does to you does not mean the harm isn't there.  
 -- The fact you don't feel anything with this long term harm is common.  
   --- I never felt anything either,... until I removed the wheat/grain/sugar, and realized what changed.  
   --- This is the case with 95% of the people that adopt wheat/grain/sugar-free living.

You are right about most people not feeling any different when they eat wheaty grainy crap (WGC).  
-- Diabetics can't feel anything wrong until the advanced stages.  
-- Arthritics have arthritis well before joint inflammation starts sending out pain signals.  
-- People die of atherosclerosis having no idea anything was wrong.
-- Most fat folks will tell you they feel fine and are quite healthy.  
-- A diet of WGC either exacerbates or directly causes these maladies.

Your last statement really says a lot about your lack of awareness.
   --  "... this WB guy has been promoted for over 50 pages on a motorcycle site..... and he is most assuredly a money grubbing quack...... and I didn't read his idiot book... don't need to, never will."  
   -- That's like the statement one of my Uncles made to me when I was a kid.  "Those motorcycles are idiotic.  They fall over all by themselves.  Just plain stupid.  They are impractical and expensive and dangerous and anyone who rides them is a moron with a death wish.  I know all I need to know about motorcycles. I don't ever need to ride one, let alone own one."  

Ignorance is an unfortunate thing.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #769 - 04/08/12 at 06:10:40

In my state of Wisconsin people are dying every day,I guess its because they eat wheat.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #770 - 04/14/12 at 03:37:07

Gyrobob wrote on 04/06/12 at 10:13:56:
Here's what happens to your blood sugar when you eat a Snickers bar:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/...

OK, let's consider this:

Blood sugar home-testers are available because diabetes is an acknowledged disease; not because one eats pasta, but because one has a pancreas disorder.
To blame diabetes on eating wheat-derivates is beyond me. Diabetes is triggered by obesity, but there were obese Vikings (and there still are) as well as obese Greeks etc.
We DO NOT have ANY scientific evidence that the meat-eating, smorgasbord-slobbering, beer-drinking Vikings NEVER had diabetes.

This tester allows to "meter" blood sugar DIY, but the interpretation of the reading must be done by somebody who knows his stuff.

Reading "160" after breakfast is quite normal, it simply means breakfast has been digested and the "food" is being carried around by the bloodstream to the body.

On the other hand, we DO NOT have ANY DIY contraption to test protein or fats being carried by the bloodstream.

Gyrobob claims "a blood sugar count of 160 is bad".
That is incorrect.
A blood sugar count of 160 IS bad if you test yourself after a good night's sleep, BEFORE breakfast.
A blood sugar count of 160 is NORMAL and should be expected after breakfast.
A blood sugar count of 160 six hours after breakfast, but before lunch, means you EITHER chugged down a whole bottle of maple syrup, OR you have a serious blood sugar issue.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

...what is your blood cholesterol count after eating that Snickers bar?
LDL?
HDL?
Triglycerides?

Test that, please, then see what the cholesterol tables say.

You might appear to have an unusually, unhealthy high cholesterol.

OR

You might realize that to point your finger at figures without taking them in the proper context may be misleading.

As for myself, I did try your low-carb diet for two weeks.

The result was I became short of breath and could not go up the stairs as easily as I did before the low-carb experiment.

I will go back to my Mediterranean Diet, thank you very much.
https://www.facebook.com/mediterraneandietusa
http://www.mediterraneandiet.com/
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/mediterranean-diet/CL00011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet

When UNESCO and the WHO (or the MAYO Clinic, for that matter)  applaud the quack doctor's diet as healthy, I'll consider it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/7960206/Mediterranean-diet-to-be-awar...

Until then, Hippocrates made history in a way no Wisconsin cardiologist as (yet) so I'll give each the credit they respectfully deserve.

AND

I'll keep on riding  Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #771 - 04/14/12 at 04:43:46

Gyrobob wrote on 04/06/12 at 10:13:56:
Here's what happens to your blood sugar when you eat a Snickers bar:

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/...

If your blood sugars spike that high it is indicating that you might be diabetic. Get yourself checked out right away. The spikes should not be that high in a healthy person.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #772 - 04/14/12 at 15:52:13

Well, I finished the book a few weeks ago and the author makes some compelling arguments for how much wheat has been modified in the past half century and how it affects human physiology.  Based on the case he presents, modern wheat varieties quite likely have more adverse effects on us and are truly "addictive" as well.  As previously stated, I already keep a relatively low carb intake, though not anything on the order of Atkins (but I have done Atkins in the past).  My carbs are primarily from fruits and from short-grain brown rice, quinoa, oats, potatoes and sweet potatoes (both of which I consume with the skin).  It is very rare for me to eat bread or processed grain.  If I need to thicken my chili I use a tablespoon or two of corn masa.  Anyway, I went not just wheat-free but completely grain-free (and potato-free, etc.) for two weeks and I noticed no difference whatsoever.  I am not all that surprised given my normal diet and have now reverted to it, allowing myself the same carbs I've been consuming for several years now.  I am going to make one change though.  I am intrigued by einkorn wheat (the original strain).  I have purchased some flour made from it and It does indeed contain more fiber and protein and less carbs than modern flour, along with about a third of the DNA of modern wheat.  It's heavier and tackier and won't make fluffy biscuits but it makes some pretty good fried jalapenos and will help thicken with a different flavor than masa.  It has a nuttier flavor than modern flour and makes some darned fine banana walnut bread.  That said, I will use it occasionally but still keep to my prior diet of mostly vegetables, proteins and the occasional fruit and grains (like quinoa, brown rice or oats).  I am far more wary of modern wheat than before but already consumed very little of it.  My personal belief is that small doses may allow us some resistance, as with many things and I will continue small amounts of grains and other carbs.  That's my assessment.  Take it for what you paid for it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #773 - 04/14/12 at 18:20:40

savage_rob,  You did not react at all normally to being off of wheat and grains, although, only two weeks is not long enough.  Some functions in the body will adjust back to a proper diet of no wheat no grains no sugar in a few days, but many of the functions take weeks or even months.  In fact, problems dealing with the nervous sysetem can take several months to resolve after getting free of wheat.

Arteacher, I don't know where you have been getting your misinformation, but for a typical body that is experiencing the tremendous improvements from being wheat free grain free sugar free for several months, having a large load of sugar dumped in is supposed to cause quite a blood sugar spike.  The overall point, though, is not the amount of the spike.  The lab experiment was to prove or disprove the Doc's claim that 2 slices of "healthy whole grain wheat bread" would cause a spike greater than that of the snickers bar.  His statement is true.

mpescatori, you apparently are getting your misinformation from some of the same places that arteacher does.   Not unusual.  there is a LOT of bad info out there.  Most of what you stated in your post is just wrong.  It agrees with the general opinions of the medical community from a few decades ago, but most of what you say is just incorrect. Your statements about cholesterol expose your ignorance on these subjects.  Have you ever heard of small particle LDL?  I'll bet not.  Trying it out for 2 weeks in pointless,... it tells you nothing.  Even if you really did manage to stay wheat free grain free sugar free and high fat for two weeks, you wouldn't even have gotten past the withdrawal stage.  If you guys would study up on this stuff,... look at the recent research (not recent editorials or magazine articles or nutritionist textbooks written 30 years ago) you'd have a little more credibility.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #774 - 04/16/12 at 12:22:14

KO, I do not know what "small particle LDL" is.
I asked my wife (the Doc in the family) and she said "Oh, you mean 'micro-LDL?' " and explained.
So Docs know about it.

mpescatori, you apparently are getting your misinformation from some of the same places that arteacher does.   Not unusual.  there is a LOT of bad info out there.  Most of what you stated in your post is just wrong.

OK, tell me what is wrong with what I said.

Explain why EU dieticians (including the Scandinavians) are wrong when they agree the Mediterranean Diet is THE way to go when you want to controlo weight and reduce the risk of heart desease and cholesterol-related issues.

Read this article, please:
http://huntgatherlove.com/content/wheat-belly
Written by a Cardiologist? No, written by a Psychiatrist, someone who knows her drugs and her opiates.

Or this one:
http://www.shoprite.com/Cnt/DiabetesMythDebunked.html

The point is, for every one article supporting Dr.Davus, there are just as many, if not more, debunking it.

Dr.Davus is a cardiologist, and I would never dare counter anything he says on the circulatiry system.

But for him to speak like a dietician or a nutritionist... or an endocrinologist...
...my son would say "Who does he think he is, mandrake?"

I have looked for a way to download the e-Book, but no such luck.

Until then, it's tomatoes and olives and fich and durum wheat, thank you very much.

Cool

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #775 - 04/16/12 at 12:42:50

Gyro: This where I got my information on normal blood sugar levels:^ Daly, Mark E; Vale, C; Walker, M; Littlefield, A; Alberti, KG; Mathers, JC (1998). "Acute effects on insulin sensitivity and diurnal metabolic profiles of a high-sucrose compared with a high starch diet" (PDF). Am J Clin Nutr 1998 (American Society for Clinical Nutrition) 67 (67): 1186–1196. PMID 9625092. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
Their peak levels are much lower than what you are getting.
And their methodology is probably a tad more sophisticated than yours too. Huh
There is either something wrong with your meter, or with you.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #776 - 04/16/12 at 15:39:51

I was just reading an article recently that mentioned a lot of the testers out there not being very reliable and many are not even FDA approved.

arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #777 - 04/16/12 at 16:06:57

Savage_Rob wrote on 04/16/12 at 15:39:51:
I was just reading an article recently that mentioned a lot of the testers out there not being very reliable and many are not even FDA approved.

You can get test solutions for them that tell you how far off they are, and some self calibrate.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #778 - 04/16/12 at 17:22:47

arteacher wrote on 04/16/12 at 16:06:57:
Savage_Rob wrote on 04/16/12 at 15:39:51:

You can get test solutions for them that tell you how far off they are, and some self calibrate.

I have the solution for mine, and I calibrated it.  

The accuracy of the number itself is not all that important.  
-- In the "lab experiments" I did on myself, the important part was the magnitude of the blood sugar spike from the two slices of whole wheat bread compared to the magnitude of the blood sugar spike of the snickers bar.  
-- Even if the numbers from my cheapo meter were off 20% in absolute terms, the comparison of the BSS from the wheat bread compared to the snickers bar would still be valid.  The BSS from the bread was greater than the BSS from the snickers bar.  

The Doc was correct.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #779 - 04/16/12 at 17:29:26

arteacher wrote on 04/16/12 at 12:42:50:
Gyro: This where I got my information on normal blood sugar levels:^ Daly, Mark E; Vale, C; Walker, M; Littlefield, A; Alberti, KG; Mathers, JC (1998). "Acute effects on insulin sensitivity and diurnal metabolic profiles of a high-sucrose compared with a high starch diet" (PDF). Am J Clin Nutr 1998 (American Society for Clinical Nutrition) 67 (67): 1186–1196. PMID 9625092. Retrieved 2011-02-19.
Their peak levels are much lower than what you are getting.
And their methodology is probably a tad more sophisticated than yours too. Huh
There is either something wrong with your meter, or with you.

I saw my cardiologist today for a periodic check up.  He has not heard of wheat belly, but he did know about grains and BSSs.  I told him about my numbers and the relative BSS of two slices of bread vs a snickers bar.  He was surprised that the bread caused a higher reading, thinking it would be the other way around.

I asked him specifically about the magnitude of the numbers and he said they were not unusual for someone my size, my age, and done on an empty stomach after fasting for several hours.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:21:18

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.