Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #615 - 03/16/12 at 16:37:12

Wheat started off pretty bad, and then the scientists designed it to be even worse.  It's easier and cheaper to grow, and, mechanically, it works better for baking.  Be that as it may, wheat, and any other grain is harmful.  

There many new findings on this.  I am one of the lucky ones that found out now so that I can live the rest of my life with many fewer problems than I had before last October.  I just wish my parents would have known.  I wish I would have known when I started making decisions about what food I would eat.  It's a shame I didn't find out until I was 64.  At least now I feel 44.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #616 - 03/16/12 at 17:00:09

As another real world example,.. my Boss, John, when I used to work at Delta, had some shoulder issues from when he was a kid in sports.  
-- He had to have some operations, and over the past few decades, his shoulders have been getting worse.
-- The docs just kept telling him all he can do for the rest of his life is to take drugs for the inflammation pain.  
-- Six months ago, he couldn't move his right arm more than about 30 degrees away from his body.

Enter Gyrobob.

I gave John and a few others the Wheat Belly pitch.  
-- He even had a bit of a "wheat Belly" but I made no mention of that in the pitch!  
-- I did mention how many folks have reported startling improvements in arthritis pain.
-- He decided to give it a shot.

Last time I was at work (back in early Feb), he said, "I want to show you something."  With a big smile on his face, he raised his right arm up and rested his forearm on top of his head.  He said it was still really weak, and he probably would never be able to do anything needing much strength with it, but he said there were two huge improvements:
-- range of motion, like he had just demonstrated
-- complete disappearance of the pulsing pain that was with him 24/7 for years.

He is a happy camper,... about like me with the disappearance of the humdinger headaches that I had had several times a week for decades.

No, these are not "proper studies," but just anecdotal info.  They are, though, more than coincidence, I suspect.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #617 - 03/16/12 at 17:50:55

This week my wife was getting some organic food at the local hippy food store (called "Wheatsville" actually  Cheesy ) and being an awesome person who actually listened to my ramblings about wheat experiments, found this pasta made from the ancient non-engineered strain of wheat, "Einkorn," as mentioned in the Wheat Belly book, a good sized box of pasta for $3.50.  It is enough pasta to serve a family of 4.

http://www.jovialfoods.com/whole-grain-einkorn-pasta

So she cooked it up and I had me a big ol' heapin' helpin' of pasta (which I never eat, being pretty much off wheat on Gyro's advice) and hot diggity damm, no negative effects. No rough joints or anything. Cool, now I know I can have pasta now and then, with no ill effects.

Of course it is still a starch and will zonk you out the same as regular pasta. Being used to a low-carb diet, I got real tired real fast.  But for not much money, einkorn wheat steers you clear of any disadvantages specific to the modern "dwarf" wheat optimized for yield (not nutrition).  Or for the experiment-minded wheat eater.. maybe try einkorn pasta one week, regular pasta the next week, and note any difference in how you feel.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #618 - 03/16/12 at 21:50:42

Boule’tard wrote on 03/16/12 at 17:50:55:
This week my wife was getting some organic food at the local hippy food store (called "Wheatsville" actually  Cheesy ) and being an awesome person who actually listened to my ramblings about wheat experiments, found this pasta made from the ancient non-engineered strain of wheat, "Einkorn," as mentioned in the Wheat Belly book, a good sized box of pasta for $3.50.  It is enough pasta to serve a family of 4.

http://www.jovialfoods.com/whole-grain-einkorn-pasta

So she cooked it up and I had me a big ol' heapin' helpin' of pasta (which I never eat, being pretty much off wheat on Gyro's advice) and hot diggity damm, no negative effects. No rough joints or anything. Cool, now I know I can have pasta now and then, with no ill effects.

Of course it is still a starch and will zonk you out the same as regular pasta. Being used to a low-carb diet, I got real tired real fast.  But for not much money, einkorn wheat steers you clear of any disadvantages specific to the modern "dwarf" wheat optimized for yield (not nutrition).  Or for the experiment-minded wheat eater.. maybe try einkorn pasta one week, regular pasta the next week, and note any difference in how you feel.

You did okay in spite of the einkorn, not because of it.  It is still a grain, and still the worst of all grains.  If you were to have taken your blood sugar one hour after you ate it, you'd be upset, because it creates a spike just like any other grain.

Einkorn compared to modern wheat has the same relationship as filtered cigarettes to plain.

Also, I don't know if this brand is the one mentioned a few weeks ago on the FB page, but one of the einkorn manufacturers calls his pasta einkorn the same way another maker calls his pasta spinach pasta.  It is all plain old pasta with some einkorn (or spinach) added.

One other factor,... Just because you didn't go into a coma doesn't mean eating einkorn is any better than modern wheat.  Well,.. it would be a little better just because it is missing some of the bad stuff bred into it.  But, it is still a grain, and will still create a blood sugar spike.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #619 - 03/16/12 at 22:12:27

Einkorn is nutritionally different from modern wheat too.  More of its calories come from fat and less from carbs, so it has a lower glycemic index.  Also, along with other early wheats like spelt and kamut, the genetic structure of its protein (gluten), is very different and is more hypoallergenic than the gluten in modern wheat.  I'm sure its not 100% safe and if I had a life-threatening sensitivity to wheat I would avoid all varieties.  But for most humans, limited consumption of the ancestral varieties is far less likely to provoke adverse reactions.  It's just that it doesn't produce as large a crop in as many environments and the engineered wheat's gluten is better for baking lighter bread and pastries.  It is still wheat though, and does still have a higher glycemic index than something like a sweet potato.  Everyone will have different levels of sensitivity, so there really isn't a one-size-fits-all answer.  Right now, the worlds population is, sadly, largely dependent upon wheat.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #620 - 03/16/12 at 22:29:15

Savage_Rob wrote on 03/16/12 at 22:12:27:
Einkorn is nutritionally different from modern wheat too.  More of its calories come from fat and less from carbs, so it has a lower glycemic index.  Also, along with other early wheats like spelt and kamut, the genetic structure of its protein (gluten), is very different and is more hypoallergenic than the gluten in modern wheat.  I'm sure its not 100% safe and if I had a life-threatening sensitivity to wheat I would avoid all varieties.  But for most humans, limited consumption of the ancestral varieties is far less likely to provoke adverse reactions.  It's just that it doesn't produce as large a crop in as many environments and the engineered wheat's gluten is better for baking lighter bread and pastries.  It is still wheat though, and does still have a higher glycemic index than something like a sweet potato.

I agree pretty much with all that, except:
1. replace "is far less likely to provoke" in your fifth sentence with "will provoke fewer"
2. einkorn bread has a GI in the 60-70 range.  A sweet potato ranges from the 40s to the 90s based on boiling or baking.  Both are high GI.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #621 - 03/17/12 at 06:14:25

I checked the box, it is 100% einkorn.

Also, pasta is the least 'spikey' way of consuming wheat.  Something about the way they process it makes it slower to digest.  I can't remember if that point is from the Paleo book by Robb Wolf or WheatBelly. Pasta gives your blood sugar a mellower ride, probably more like potato starch than bread.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #622 - 03/17/12 at 06:21:57

Whats this spike deal,I guess I never had one.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #623 - 03/17/12 at 12:14:49

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/12 at 06:14:25:
I checked the box, it is 100% einkorn.

Also, pasta is the least 'spikey' way of consuming wheat.  Something about the way they process it makes it slower to digest.  I can't remember if that point is from the Paleo book by Robb Wolf or WheatBelly. Pasta gives your blood sugar a mellower ride, probably more like potato starch than bread.

Pasta may not be the worst spiker (white rice, wheat cereals, and whole grain bread have that honor), but definately is in the blood spiking category.  Most of the sites have it somewhere around 40 to 60.  That means a plate full of spaghetti will take your normal blood sugar level of, say, 75, and more than double it in the first hour.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #624 - 03/17/12 at 12:26:24

Yes but if you'll refer to pages 26-27 in your books (children,  Grin )  you will find that einkorn does not raise your blood sugar nearly as bad as regular wheat.

Einkorn bread: 84 to 110 mg/dl
Regular bread: 84 to 167 mg/dl

So I figure a pasta made out of einkorn should be even mellower than what you get out of bread, nowhere near a doubling of your blood sugar.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #625 - 03/17/12 at 12:49:23

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/12 at 12:26:24:
Yes but if you'll refer to pages 26-27 in your books (children,  Grin )  you will find that einkorn does not raise your blood sugar nearly as bad as regular wheat.

Einkorn bread: 84 to 110 mg/dl
Regular bread: 84 to 167 mg/dl

So I figure a pasta made out of einkorn should be even mellower than what you get out of bread, nowhere near a doubling of your blood sugar.

Could be,... could be,..  Buy a glucometer and find out for real.  That's what I did.  I wanted to see how much of a spike I got from various foodstuffs.  It's interesting to see how your body reacts compared to the way all the experts claim it will react.

I still look at the modern vs einkorn deal as similar to the plain cigarette vs filter cigarette deal.  Switching from modern wheat to einkorn is an improvement, just like switching from plain cigs to filtered.  Those "improvements" however, are miniscule compared to abstinence.

BTW, the guy that wrote that book you quote so correctly says we should be striving for single-digit (or less) rises in blood sugar.   Same with glycemic indexes,... no more than single digits.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #626 - 03/17/12 at 12:57:46

Wow, you bought a glucometer?  Shocked  Now I really wish you'd try re-introducing wheat and see what it does.. that would be interesting data.  But we'll understand if you want to just keep with as healthy a diet as possible.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #627 - 03/17/12 at 13:47:17

Gyrobob wrote on 03/17/12 at 12:49:23:

I still look at the modern vs einkorn deal as similar to the plain cigarette vs filter cigarette deal.  Switching from modern wheat to einkorn is an improvement, just like switching from plain cigs to filtered.  Those "improvements" however, are miniscule compared to abstinence.

I agree the cig analogy is good insofar as you are talking about blood sugar.. einkorn is "less bad" but not ideal.  But note in the same experiment, Mr. Davis had none of his usual wheat reactions like nausea and aches and pains. That seems to indicate that einkorn is as good as wheat-abstinance in some regards.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #628 - 03/17/12 at 13:54:22

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/12 at 12:57:46:
Wow, you bought a glucometer?  Shocked  Now I really wish you'd try re-introducing wheat and see what it does.. that would be interesting data.  But we'll understand if you want to just keep with as healthy a diet as possible.

I am so impressed with how many flippin' ways wheat causes misery that would never ever start eating it again.  It makes me cringe when I see my Granddots eat sugary cereals, because I know what they are doing to their bodies.  I got them to try no wheat for a month.  They lost weight and their acne cleared up within days and the littlest one (nicknamed "The Demon") stopped being a demon for a few weeks -- she was actually a pleasant little person for a while.  At the end of the month they went right back to trix and zits and fits.  I could shoot my Daughter!!

I might eat some wheatcrap just for an experiment, sometime, though.  A few days ago I did have a bowl of oatmeal sweetened with one teaspoon of sugar, and then logged the blood sugar spike from that.  The readings I took are on one of the pics in this folder:
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Healthy%20Stuff/

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #629 - 03/17/12 at 14:00:55

Boule’tard wrote on 03/17/12 at 13:47:17:
Gyrobob wrote on 03/17/12 at 12:49:23:

I agree the cig analogy is good insofar as you are talking about blood sugar.. einkorn is "less bad" but not ideal.  But note in the same experiment, Mr. Davis had none of his usual wheat reactions like nausea and aches and pains. That seems to indicate that einkorn is as good as wheat-abstinance in some regards.

I'll betcha the fewer symptoms from the einkorn is just because of his particular bod having a less intense blood sugar spike with that paricular dose of einkorn.  All blood sugar spikes are bad, whether or not you go epileptic or comatose or puky,..

I think it is a bit of a stretch to say, "That seems to indicate that einkorn is as good as wheat-abstinance in some regards."  I'll wager you a loaf of grain-free bread that the Doc would not go along with that.  He's the one that came up with the cig analogy,.. and in the FB traffic on the Wheat Belly page, he has made many remarks about the harm from einkorn (and Emmer, Spelt, and Kamut) being there,... not as evil as modern wheat, to be sure,... but still, because it is wheat, it is unhealthy.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:14:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.