Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #555 - 01/21/12 at 16:53:08

Best way to do that is have the doctors go on strike,

When Israeli medical doctors went on strike in 2000, the number of deaths in that country went down.

They went down so far, in fact, that funeral directors were protesting the strike!

Emergency care and other vital services were not disrupted during the strike. What decreased — drastically — were visits to outpatient centers.

That meant fewer prescriptions were written. And most elective surgeries were cancelled.

Maybe not a bad thing.

Dr. Joseph Mercola put it well when he wrote:

“There is no question that traditional approaches for acute traumas (heart attack, stroke, accidents, etc.) are valuable and should not be abandoned. However, overall, when drugs and surgery are used to address chronic illness, it is generally a prescription for disaster.”

Hospitals and doctors are invaluable for traumatic injuries. But when it comes to maintaining robust health and preventing illness, healthy living and personal responsibility is the key.

*Note, acute problems need medical care..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #556 - 01/21/12 at 17:43:45

"Best way to do that is have the doctors go on strike,"

Agree completely JOG.

This is in line with Dr. Davis.  He went from being one of those guys who did bypass surgeries to being a preventive cardiologist.  He said he got really frustrated from pissing his life away (not his terminology) cutting on people to get their blood flowing for a year or two and then having them die or show up again for a repeat a few years later.  So he decided to figure out ways to heal them, rather than operate on them to make symptoms temporarily disappear.

That "doctors on strike" thing is like what happened in Albuquerque a few decades ago when the cops went on strike,.. the crime rate went way down.   The bad guys soon found out the citizenry had bought all the guns in town and were defending themselves.  One bad guy actually said when interviewed, "that little old lady scared me s***less all trembling like that and pointing that gun at me,.. heck (not his terminology), the cops are trained to NOT shoot,.. she was about to shoot me from bein' scared!!"

« Last Edit: 01/22/12 at 16:51:55 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #557 - 02/08/12 at 14:02:49

How many of you have gotten to the pebble in the dirt stage?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #558 - 02/15/12 at 09:13:06

Gyrobob wrote on 02/08/12 at 14:02:49:

not too many, eh?

Well here's a quote from a Doc in Seattle:

"I am a primary care physician and I successfully treat diabetes and other obesity-related illnesses every single day with the sort of wheat-free low-carb advice that Dr. Davis gives here in this excellent book. I started recommending this about 15 years ago and have seen countless patients "cure" their diabetes and stop diabetes medications with this sort of dietary modification."

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #559 - 02/15/12 at 09:15:43

Ive had a pebble in my shoe from walkin in the dirt, but I dont really get the whole pebble in the dirt idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #560 - 02/15/12 at 09:25:32

Gyrobob wrote on 02/15/12 at 09:13:06:

[size=12]not too many, eh?

Yes Gryro,... None, is not very many... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #561 - 02/15/12 at 09:52:09

Well,... at least somebody responded.

The pebble in the dirt phase is when you have been wheat free grain free for so long (usually weeks or sometimes months) you just don't have food cravings anymore, especially for WGC (wheaty grainy crap).  If you were to pass by a table loaded with danish and bagels, you'd be about as interested in it as you would a pebble in the dirt you happened to see while out on a walk.

Here's an explanation of the three phases I went through,.. with pebble-in-the-dirt being that phase I am in now.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #562 - 02/15/12 at 18:11:28

Well since SOMEbody bumped the thread...  Roll Eyes

I might be 'pebble in the dirt' uncaring about nicotine (after many, many years) but not about wheat products. If someone brought a box of doughnuts to work tomorrow, I would not be all "PISH POSH.. It is but a pebble in the sand, I do say!" No, I'd be either lamenting the no-wheat idea or diving into the box.

Frankly I think it's laughable that people are treating this as an on/off-the-wagon type deal and going so far as to compare it to crack.. and that there is even a concept of wheatless 'proficiency.' Mr. Davis is getting credit for effects that are 1) real and exclusive to wheat  2) real and incidental to carbs, and 3) psychosomatic. Can't lose.

If I want a hamburger I'll have it, dammit, complete with the bun. With no guilt that I 'broke my diet' or anything. --BUT-- there do seem to be negative effects, such as energy swings and more sand in my joints.  I am not sure how much of that is real and how much is in my head.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #563 - 02/15/12 at 18:54:06

I've been "off" coffee for three weeks now. I tend to eat few processed foods to begin with, so going "wheat free" isn't in my future. I think the main probelm is "Processed " foods, not necessarily wheat.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #564 - 02/15/12 at 18:55:19

I'm here to testify the effects are real.  I have had situations where I got wheated and did not suspect it at all, until the reactions set in.  Headache, sore joints, bitchy wife, etc.

That is not to say that the mind can't talk you in to these things.  I'll bet if I had a donut, I would be explaining to myself how bad I was feeling before it even happened probably.

A few weeks ago I had some oyster stew that was more like soup.  Really tasty.  I've been having that stew at that establishment for years.  About the time we were leaving the restaurant, a headache was starting and the joints in my fingers and neck and knees were uncomfortable.  This was really unusual because since last October (when I stopped all grains), the headaches I had suffered several times a week for the last four decades have completely stopped.  This lasted for several hours.  The next week we went back there again, and I asked a few questions.  Sure 'nuff, they had changed their recipe and were now using a flour thickener.

Anyway, the pebble in the dirt thing is just a way to express how liberating it is to not feel like any sacrifices are being made when I don't eat any WGC.  In fact, now that I know what it does to me when I eat some of it, it is WORSE than a pebble in the dirt.  Not only do I have no desire to eat it, I have negative feelings about it that make me enthusiastically refuse it,.. and feel good about not having to eat it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #565 - 02/15/12 at 18:56:59

SuperSavage wrote on 02/15/12 at 18:54:06:
I've been "off" coffee for three weeks now. I tend to eat few processed foods to begin with, so going "wheat free" isn't in my future. I think the main probelm is "Processed " foods, not necessarily wheat.

Processed foods are a problem.  This issue is part of some other discussion.  

If you go back and review this thread, you'll see how wheat (and other grains) ARE the problem.

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #566 - 02/16/12 at 06:11:05

Supersavage, really? No Coffee?  Jeez, I'd die.

I don't think I am good enough to pick out the effects of just a small amount of wheat in a recipe..  One time I was on the road and stopped at a cajun restaurant and ordered the crawfish etouffe' then realized they probably use flour to make the rue.  I didn't change my order or anything, just ate it.  Yes.. it was a drive-by wheating!  

Sure enough I felt crappy later, but I expected that anyway because the dish was loaded with rice.  I can't pick out the difference in effects.  But I do think one can come to the most accurate conclusions by not making a big mental deal out of it.  That way any 'medical student syndrome' is minimized, and the lack of proficiency affords you an experimental wheating now and then.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #567 - 02/16/12 at 06:22:21

Boule’tard wrote on 02/16/12 at 06:11:05:
Supersavage, really? No Coffee?  Jeez, I'd die.

I don't think I am good enough to pick out the effects of just a small amount of wheat in a recipe..  One time I was on the road and stopped at a cajun restaurant and ordered the crawfish etouffe' then realized they probably use flour to make the rue.  I didn't change my order or anything, just ate it.  Yes.. it was a drive-by wheating!  

Sure enough I felt crappy later, but I expected that anyway because the dish was loaded with rice.  I can't pick out the difference in effects.  But I do think one can come to the most accurate conclusions by not making a big mental deal out of it.  That way any 'medical student syndrome' is minimized, and the lack of proficiency affords you an experimental wheating now and then.

I agree with all of that.  Your assessment agrees with a lot of the "surprised" folks on the Wheat Belly FB page as well.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #568 - 02/16/12 at 06:34:29

Several more "testimonials" of late on the FB page.  
 -- One lady who runs a juvenile detention center took the wheat out of the diet for the inmates, and their behavior improved markedly.  
 -- There are a few more of the diabetics who are not diabetics anymore.  Also, some of the type 1 types say that while they know they are permanently damaged and have no hope of being cured like the type 2 people, they have an easier time of it while off of wheat/grains.  Apparently the insulin situation is steadier,.. easier to control when the blood sugar roller coaster from eating WGC is calmed down.
 -- Some rheumatoid arthritis sufferers said they can tell within an hour if they have been wheated.  Their otherwise reasonable joint comfort turns into out and out pain for hours afterwards.
 -- One lady with MS has not only gotten out of her wheelchair, she doesn't need a cane anymore.

And then there's me.  I'm doing fine thanks.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #569 - 02/16/12 at 08:04:01

While I haven't read the book in the beginning of this thread, I hardly think that bans me from having any pertinent knowledge or opinion on the subject as that book is not likely to be the sole source of knowledge in the universe.  It is on my list to read though.  I must also confess to only skimming the first 37 pages of this thread prior to posting.  If these things piss you off, you're wasting your energy; just stop reading.  My opinion is generally as follows.  Please excuse me if it seems more rambling and less coherently structured as I did not outline it prior to writing this post.

From a simple philosophical dietary standpoint, I can understand fully that our nomadic hunter-gatherer ancestors evolved eating what they could catch and their bodies could process raw.  This would be mostly vegetables and fruits on a daily basis and as much meat as they could catch or scavenge.  Note that this would be lean game meat; not farm raised.  There would be the occasional supplements of eggs, nuts or the like.  Fish would be more easily gained than many meats, depending upon locale.  In general they did not eat grains as our teeth don't handle most of them well raw, nor do our digestive tracts.  Dairy was not a part of a human diet after you were weaned from your mother.  We certainly weren't chasing down animals to milk them.  Raw corn, while edible, is much like raw potatoes.  It's okay in small amounts but will usually give humans gastric issues if eaten in quantity.  Man did find that grains were often more edible if they had been found after having soaked for a sufficient time in water.  In fact, sometimes they even got a buzz (witness the beginnings of beer and other spirits).  As man began to harness and use fire, he found he could make grain more palatable by cooking it.  This was still at a time when man was nomadic.  However, man began to return and to linger where these supplies of wild grain were found and eventually began to time the harvests and then to plant (witness the start of agriculture and towns).  As these towns grew, grain became more and more the primary source of nutrition.  Some meat and eggs became a bit easier  to come by as some animals became domesticated during the later stages of nomadic life (i.e. goats) and dairy began to see its first uses.  Note that these latter developments began to add fat to the diet from both dairy and farm-raised meats.  I believe the paleo diet (or caveman diet, as it is sometimes called) is quite likely the healthiest for those of us who can afford to sustain it.  As a species we took something along the line of two million years evolving eating it.  Grain, dairy and domesticated meats have only been on the scene for something like ten to twenty thousand years, which hasn't given us a lot of time to adapt.  This is not to say that evolution isn't still at work.  There's a group of Laplanders whose primary source of protein for the past five thousand years or more has been cheese.  This single group has a slightly higher lactose tolerance than the rest of the human race.  Back to affordability... The unfortunate fact is that we can't effectively feed the populace of the planet healthily on a paleo diet.  Grain is a necessary supplement.  It seems to me likely that GMO plants might present an option to make them more agreeable to human digestion.  Personally, I have compromised a bit.  I tend to eat mostly lean meats, fruits, vegetables and the occasional eggs and nuts.  However, I do cook them more often than I eat them raw (except for fruit).  I eat grain-based foods to some extent.  Usually, they would be high-fiber, high-protein versions (certain Fiber One cereals) or plain oats.  I sometimes have short-grain brown rice or quinoa but not often.  I occasionally eat low-fat cheese but rarely any other dairy.  I use unsweetened almond milk.  I also like the occasional potato or sweet potato, cooked.  It works for me.  I am attempting to slowly switch to more raw vegetables but some will likely always be cooked.  I have been at the point for years where I can pass up breads and such quite easily.  One main focus of mine is to dramatically reduce the amount of salt and sweeteners I use.  I already use less than most people I know but I believe we have all become accustomed to far too much salt and sweet (natural or artificial) in our diets and we honestly don't taste the real food underneath it very well at all.

When it comes to cravings, it's largely a function of blood sugar levels.  These processed/refined carbs, whether sugar, flour (wheat, oat, corn, rye, rice, etc.) or otherwise, hit your blood quickly and spike the blood sugar levels.  After that, comes the crash, which causes lethargy and cravings (like any addiction).  Sources of calories (even carbs) that digest more slowly and are effectively time-released into the blood, keep the levels more stable and don't result in crashes and cravings.  They need to have higher levels of fiber and protein, which digest more slowly.  That's why eating a serving or two of oats (simple cut or rolled, not refined flour) has an entirely different effect than the same amount of calories in something like basic white bread, flour, sugar, etc.  Of course, if you load down the oats with butter and sugar, you kind of defeat the purpose.

I hereby relinquish the soapbox and return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 22:21:12

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.