Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #480 - 12/15/11 at 07:03:40

Hey Gyrobob, you should do a "Phase 2" where you re-introduce wheat foods and see if any symptoms come back. Cheesy

I recently did some handyman work for a neighbor, and he brought me some Belgian wheat beer. So I thought WTH, it would be impolite not to drink it.  Also, I was craving carbs at the time and HAD to have me some potatoes, dammit!  So along with the wheat beer I ate a hamburger (with the bun) and a big ol' pile of tater tots.

Something in all that is definitely a "comfort food." I felt REALLY full, fat & happy.  Luckily I didn't crave more 2 hours later or suffer any wheat-sensitive maladies like skin rash or dementia (though some would dispute that). I slept better that I have in quite a while.  None of that bolting awake, unable to go back to sleep.

I realize that my little experiment is tainted by cutting the carbs in general, not just wheat.  So I can't point to any specific benefits and say the lack of wheat did it.  But like Justin, I do find the overall diet worthwhile and will continue with it.  Well, once my wheat beer is gone.

The main effect has been consistency of energy.  Good energy all day, despite being a caffeine junkie. Almost as much energy at night, which makes for light sleep, not the deep sleep others report. Some weight loss. Fewer headaches in the morning, which I used to get after a long sleep.

I don't have a scale so I don't know how much weight I lost, but it definitely is some. There's less paunchy muffin-top around the midsection. When I am riding and get into some choppy stuff, my belly has quit taking little "flights of its own" if you know what I mean.  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #481 - 12/15/11 at 09:01:27

I missed this discussion, mainly due to the title not cluing me into what it was about.  Let me relate my story:

About 15 years ago, one of my law partners had a father in Cleveland who weighed well in excess of 350.  He had been a college football player, and as such, had horrible knees.  When he went to a surgeon for knee replacement surgery, the doc refused to operate on him because of his weight makinjg surgery too dangerous for what is not a life threatening condition.

So they sent him to Cleveland Clinic, which at the time was doing a protein sparing fast for morbidly obese people.  You basically ate nothing but protein so you didn't lose muscle while your body was starved of carbos, and hence, he lost over 100 pounds.  Surprise, his knees were tolerable then and he didn't have the surgery.  He stayed on the maintenance part of the diet for about 5 more years, kept the weight down, then dropped dead of a heart attack at about age 60, about 5 years ago.

In about 1998 I took a cue from this diet, got the protocol from my partner, and did it too.  I lost about 30 pounds, and ate cheeseburgers without the bun, steak, my it was tasty.  In 2004 I had 2 stents put in my heart, and on the heart table my total cholesterol was 280.  I was age 57 at the time.

Dr. Atkins died from a fall that hit his head on the sidewalk.  At his autopsy, it was found that he had severe coronary artery disease - in essence, a time bomb waiting to have a heart attack.

My diet now is more conventional, and I try to eat as little fat and other cholesterol enhancing foods as practical.

So, before you try any of these high protein, low carb diets, get with your doc, have a coronary workup to see where you are presently, and check your cholesterol every 6 months.  Get a yearly nuclear stress test if your doc recommends it.

Weight loss fads come and go, but the basic chemistry and physics don't change - calories consumed in excess of what is burned are stored as fat.

To see how many calories will sustain your present body weight, simply multiply your weight times 12.  So if you weigh 200, an intake of 2400 calories daily will keep you there.  More, and you gain; fewer and you lose.

Lastly, there are 3500 calories in a pound of human body fat.  So for every pound you want to lose, you need to sacrifice 3500 calories over the time in which you want to lose the weight.  So if your goal is to go down 5 pounds a month, which is a healthy rate of loss, every month you need to take in 17,500 fewer calories than the number of calories needed to sustain your present weight.  In this example, your daily caloric intake has to decline almost 600 calories a day to lose that 5 pounds in a month.  Maybe this helps explain why weight loss is so difficult.

Of course, increasing calorie burn rate thru increased exercise will help.  But not by much.  A 200 pound man burns about 200 calories per mile by walking, and only slightly more by jogging.  So you have to walk 17.5 miles to burn off one pound of fat.  Intense exercise, like truly running or fast bicycling burns more, but how many of us older people can exercise that hard on a consistent basis?  Darn few.

Healthy weight loss is a long term proposition

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #482 - 12/15/11 at 11:10:47

Jerry, you are wrong about Atkins having heart disease.  He did have cardiomyopathy, which he had contracted from a virus several years before his accidental death.  It had nothing to do with low-carbing.  His cardiovascular system was very healthy.

I'm also surprised at you parroting the worn out old ideas about low fat and low cholesterol,.. calories out/calories in,.. total cholesterol, etc.

The new research,.. the new findings on how harmful wheat is to the human body dispels all those old ideas.  The guy that started this wheat belly thing is a cardiologist that learned all these lessons the hard way -- with actual patients dying from the worn out old ideas.  When the light finally came on for him, he bucked the system, put his patients on a wheat-free diet adjusted to keep blood sugar levels low and consistent, and his patient survival rate went way up.

If you'd read the book, you'd understand.  You dismiss it as another fad diet, which is quite understandable these days.  Before you so casually dismiss it as one of those fad diets, you might want to find out a little more about it.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #483 - 12/15/11 at 12:21:22

IDK if it has anything to do with the diet, IDK even when it went away, but I had a ganglion cyst on a tendon in my hand that hurt when I carried a 5 gallon bucket.. I cant find it now,

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #484 - 12/15/11 at 12:31:51

Gyro -

I've read more diet books over the years than I can recall.

I thoroughly believe that humans, while designed to eat meat and plant foods, evolved more to the plant based diet side than the meat side.  I wish Dr. Harverys would chime in.  I've always understood that our dentitia and jaw structures are meant more for grinding plant foods than tearing meat.  That's why we don't have large incisors ( fang teeth ) like cats, dogs, and other animals that were bred from pure meat eaters, and the large cats like tigers, and wolves that are pure meat eaters.  We have large molars to grind, rather than pronounced teeth to tear.

I do know from personal experience that my weight, while about 20 pounds over the ideal, has remained stable by counting calories.

However, my life style is sedentary - an office job where I sit on my can all day.  Back in my college days, when I was an athlete, and later when I worked as a construction laborer in the summers, I could eat all of anything without gaining, but I was also burning thousands of calories a day then.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #485 - 12/15/11 at 13:53:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/11 at 12:21:22:
IDK if it has anything to do with the diet, IDK even when it went away, but I had a ganglion cyst on a tendon in my hand that hurt when I carried a 5 gallon bucket.. I cant find it now,

JOG did you check in the bucket.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #486 - 12/15/11 at 13:57:15

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/15/11 at 12:31:51:
Gyro -

I've read more diet books over the years than I can recall.

I thoroughly believe that humans, while designed to eat meat and plant foods, evolved more to the plant based diet side than the meat side.  I wish Dr. Harverys would chime in.  I've always understood that our dentitia and jaw structures are meant more for grinding plant foods than tearing meat.  That's why we don't have large incisors ( fang teeth ) like cats, dogs, and other animals that were bred from pure meat eaters, and the large cats like tigers, and wolves that are pure meat eaters.  We have large molars to grind, rather than pronounced teeth to tear.

I do know from personal experience that my weight, while about 20 pounds over the ideal, has remained stable by counting calories.

However, my life style is sedentary - an office job where I sit on my can all day.  Back in my college days, when I was an athlete, and later when I worked as a construction laborer in the summers, I could eat all of anything without gaining, but I was also burning thousands of calories a day then.

Guess we'll just agree to disagree.

You can disagree, but those of us that understand these new concepts know that you are disagreeing because of a lack of understanding.

Please read the book. If you would, you'd see it is not a diet book.  Diet books are a dime a dozen.  They are just vehicles for the authors to make a buck.  They consist of a pile of assertions, most of which have no factual basis.

This wheat belly (stupid name, I know) thing is something this cardiologist has found out with life and death situations based on his practice with real people.  Then he backs it up with robust research.  The last 16 pages of the book are nothing but concrete references to the research done by other experts in cardiology, psychiatry, nutrition, etc.

I am a confirmed skeptic about EVERYTHING.  
 -- When I first heard about this, I thought the same thing as you.  Bul**hit!!  How can that be??  The world literally lives on wheat.  This is a no brainer,... just another fad diet book.  Next?
 -- Then I started looking into it.  The more I read, the more I becamse suspicious of the status quo.  After several evenings of checking out all kinds of research I rooted out by myself on the internet, I bought the book,... still skeptical, but I bought it anyway.
 -- Then I spent more time verifying the referenced studies/research in the back of the book.

The result of all this is that I am no longer skeptical about this.  If you would read the book, and/or do some real research, you'd change your mind.

If you continue to categorically dismiss this whole thing as just another fad diet, you do so in unmindful bliss,.. simply not understanding the issue well enough to have any credibility in dismissing it.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #487 - 12/15/11 at 14:03:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/15/11 at 12:21:22:

No one will ever know for sure.  Every day, though, there are folks on the wheat belly FB page that are chiming in with all kinds of improvements.
 -- Several women have mentioned their skin problems cleared up within days of being wheat-free.  Their kids' acne went away as well.
 -- Many folks (including me) have mentioned their life-long headaches just plain stopped.
 -- Many folks (including me) talked about how their joint pain (both arthritic and other) went away altogether or reduced quite a bit.

Ganglion cysts are joint/tendon related and many wheat-free folks have had things get a lot better with joints and tendons.  Maybe there is some relationship between your cyst and the skin or joint improvements those folks brought up.

In any event, I'm glad you aren't bothered by the ganglion cyst anymore.

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #488 - 12/15/11 at 19:11:54

Aug 1,2011, I started my change of life journey.
I have cut out alot of the foods I used to eat. To
date I have lost 53 lbs and feel absolutely wonderful.
For the first 3 months I gave up all bread. I used to eat
100 % whole wheat. I allow myself a 1/2 slice or at times
2 slices now and that is not every day. I eat sweet
potatoes instead of other kinds. I use lemon juice in exchange
for salad dressings. I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables. I use no
oils nor fats when cooking. I don't add any salt to my food.
No fast food for me either.
I exercise at the gym as well as do Zumba 3 nights a week and will
be adding a 4th night come January.
My right knee is doing so much better with the weight loss. It doesn't
bother me near as much as it did when I was heavier.
I use a combination of several different types of food changes.
some call it Adkins, weight watchers, etc, etc..
All I know is it is working for me. The best part is seeing the changes
my body is taking. Wearing smaller size clothes. Feeling better than
I have in years.
So Gyro, I have to say that I agree with alot of what is being said.
I again stay away from all pasta as I don't find it filling in the first
place. Whole grain or not, I don't eat it.
I find the fruit and veggies give me energy and the chicken I eat is
the protein.
I use a George Foreman grill and it drains all the fat off as it cooks.
Lemon juice, lime or even dijun mustard are great ways to moisten
foods as they cook.
My B.M.I. was 47, Aug 1 and the other day it was checked and is now
down to 33. Still needs to be lower and that will happen as I contiue
on this journey. Again this is for life as I know what will happen if I
go back to before.
Thank you for bringing this info to us. I will have to try and get the
book as it sounds like some very interesting reading.
Hugs and take care.. Smiley kim

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #489 - 12/16/11 at 05:57:59

Kimchris1 stated:

... I have cut out alot of the foods I used to eat.  To date I have lost 53 lbs and feel absolutely wonderful. For the first 3 months I gave up all bread.

I used to eat 100 % whole wheat. ....               I eat a ton of fruits and vegetables. ...

I exercise at the gym as well as do Zumba 3 nights a week and will be adding a 4th night come January.  My right knee is doing so much better with the weight loss. It doesn't  bother me near as much as it did when I was heavier. ...

The best part is seeing the changes my body is taking. Wearing smaller size clothes. Feeling better than I have in years.  ...

So Gyro, I have to say that I agree with alot of what is being said. ... I again stay away from all pasta as I don't find it filling in the first place. Whole grain or not, I don't eat it. I find the fruit and veggies give me energy and the chicken I eat is the protein. ...

My B.M.I. was 47, Aug 1 and the other day it was checked and is now down to 33. Still needs to be lower and that will happen as I contiue on this journey. Again this is for life as I know what will happen if I go back to before.

Thank you for bringing this info to us. I will have to try and get the book as it sounds like some very interesting reading.  kim

Kim, I hope you don't mind,.... I cherry-picked the comments out of your post to illustrate the points I have been emphasizing here for a couple of months now.  Your points are right in line with the "wheat belly" way of doing things.

There are four main concepts:
 -- No wheat.  Wheat is actually toxic, and causes problems way beyond what the general public realizes.
 -- Little or no grains at all.  Any grains are bad, wheat is just the worst by far.  Grains in general are harmful, mainly because they have a high carb content,.. therefore they cause repeated blood sugar spikes, a very unhealthy attack on anyone, but especially for diabetics.  Grains are probably the leading cause of diabetes, anyway.  This country's astonishing increase in diabetes started right when there was a rapid increase in wheat/grain production/usage in the 50s and 60s.  Coincidence?
 -- Low carb.  Moderately low and consistent blood sugar levels are a huge factor in overall health, including weight loss, heart disease, arthritis, and diabetes.  Stuffing wheaty grainy crap (inherently high-carb) in your face ruins the blood sugar situation, and causes all kinds of health problems.
 -- No sugar.  Think of sugar as poison.  Table sugar, natural sugar, fructose, whatever.  This stuff is dumped right into your bloodstream.  The only sugar getting into your bod should be that relatively small existing in fruits and veggies.

I do truly hope you get the book.  It'll explain some of the reasons you've been doing so well.  You'll also learn about some the ways you might even make things better.  Fat, for example, is not a bad thing if you are keeping your blood sugar level moderately low and steady.  It is actually helpful.  Anyway, the book will outline all of this.

Since you have been paying so much attention to this (with such great results) I'm looking forward to your reactions to the book.  It is very well written, and fun to read for a reader that cares about these things.  Also, it is researched/referenced very thoroughly, so you can verify what's in the book is from findings/facts, not opinions or baseless assertions.

Mega-congratulations, Kim!!  What a success story!!.  I'll bet you really CAN get from 0 to 60 in two seconds less!!   Wink Grin Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/16/11 at 08:12:35 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Jerry Eichenberger
Serious Thumper

2006 S40.  OEM
windshield, saddle
bags, Sportster

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #490 - 12/16/11 at 08:11:35

Gyro and Kim -

I can't do the dubject justice in a few lines here, so lease forgive brevity.

There is no doubt that grains are carbs, but most are the "good", high density carbs that take a while to digest, and don't cause spikes in blood glucose levels.  The bad wheat products, like refined white flour, donuts, cakes, etc. are horrible, no doubt.  A small bowl of raw oatmeal, not refined, isn't bad for us.

I agree with Gyro's comment about obesity becoming rampant in the 1950s and later.  But there is another thing we have to consier too.  That is caloric burn.  Carbs are the foundation of the glucose our bodies use as fuel.  

How we burn that fuel is a big factor.  After WW II, our society moved off of the farms and out of hard, manual labor into being a sedentary society for the most part.  Hence, when our bodies aren't demanding a lot of fuel to keep bosies running that are working hard, the bad effects of carbs started showing up in diabetes and obesity.

In my bicycling days, back when I would ride 100 miles per week in the summer, I was skinny.  Why?  because at those work levels, my body needed lots of fuel, and I could eat pasta, bread, etc. and quickly consume the fuel.  That's why competitive cyclists "carbo load" before an event - their bodies need fuel and lots of it.

I'm not saying that all of this theory is junk.  But everything is more complicated than a few simple answers.  We have to look at exercise, or call it work, to burn off consumption of carbs.  If we are sedentary in our life styles, then sure, limit carb intake to a good degree.  When you totally eliminate carbs for a time, as Kim did, or as the Cleveland Clinic program that I mentioned earlier does, you lose a lot of weight quickly, because your body turns to the stored fat to provide the fuel it needs.

But if you're really active, particularly if you have a job like construction laborer, you will burn what you take in.  Do avoid the refined junk, as it is metabolized to quickly, and does spike blood glucose levels.  But good, unrefined cereal grains like whole oats, barley, etc. do not dso that.

Why do you think that we feed race and working horses a diet of corn and oats?  To supply their bodies with fuel, without spikes in glucose.

Jerry Eichenberger
Columbus, Ohio
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #491 - 12/16/11 at 08:33:58

I eat at least one donut,4 slices of bread a day,beef fish pork.no veg's, eat ice cream ever night couple candy bars a day, ride bike in summer 7 days a week,go to YMCA 5 days a week,Worked hard as carpenter all my life,5 6 150# no head aches.blood pressure 80/120 pulse 65. You have to burn up what you eat.I get my energy from 2 1/2-3 packs of cigarettes a day.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #492 - 12/16/11 at 09:26:35

Jerry Eichenberger wrote on 12/16/11 at 08:11:35:
Gyro and Kim -

I can't do the dubject justice in a few lines here, so lease forgive brevity.

There is no doubt that grains are carbs, but most are the "good", high density carbs that take a while to digest, and don't cause spikes in blood glucose levels.  The bad wheat products, like refined white flour, donuts, cakes, etc. are horrible, no doubt.  A small bowl of raw oatmeal, not refined, isn't bad for us.

I agree with Gyro's comment about obesity becoming rampant in the 1950s and later.  But there is another thing we have to consier too.  That is caloric burn.  Carbs are the foundation of the glucose our bodies use as fuel.  

How we burn that fuel is a big factor.  After WW II, our society moved off of the farms and out of hard, manual labor into being a sedentary society for the most part.  Hence, when our bodies aren't demanding a lot of fuel to keep bosies running that are working hard, the bad effects of carbs started showing up in diabetes and obesity.

In my bicycling days, back when I would ride 100 miles per week in the summer, I was skinny.  Why?  because at those work levels, my body needed lots of fuel, and I could eat pasta, bread, etc. and quickly consume the fuel.  That's why competitive cyclists "carbo load" before an event - their bodies need fuel and lots of it.

I'm not saying that all of this theory is junk.  But everything is more complicated than a few simple answers.  We have to look at exercise, or call it work, to burn off consumption of carbs.  If we are sedentary in our life styles, then sure, limit carb intake to a good degree.  When you totally eliminate carbs for a time, as Kim did, or as the Cleveland Clinic program that I mentioned earlier does, you lose a lot of weight quickly, because your body turns to the stored fat to provide the fuel it needs.

But if you're really active, particularly if you have a job like construction laborer, you will burn what you take in.  Do avoid the refined junk, as it is metabolized to quickly, and does spike blood glucose levels.  But good, unrefined cereal grains like whole oats, barley, etc. do not dso that.

Why do you think that we feed race and working horses a diet of corn and oats?  To supply their bodies with fuel, without spikes in glucose.

First of all, thanks for sticking with the discussion in an objective manner.  You still have some misconceptions I'd like to address, but it is a breath of fresh air to have a rational discussion with someone possessing an opposing point of view.

I agree with your comment on burning off the carbs.  Atkins and Davis go along with this too.  Atkins, in fact, holds that if you treat yourself to a heart-thumping, sweat-dripping 45 minute workout 4 times a week, you can effectively double the carb count you would otherwise need to maintain a given body weight.

They are (were) both cardiologists, so they would also be very supportive of keeping up the workouts.  This is one of the big reasons for Kim's success,.. she is sticking to an exercise schedule that benefits her greatly.

Grains are mostly bad,.. wheat because of all the detrimental effects mentioned in the book (drawn from research over the past decades),.. but all grains do have an adverse effect on blood sugar, even what you refer to as "good" grains.  
 -- "Good" grains are "good" only when compared to wheat.  An often used analogy is "good" cigarettes. Low-tar, filtered, cigarettes look pretty good compared to standard cigarettes.  Both are quite unhealthy, but the cigarette lobby uses this comparison to recommend smoking more of the low-tar cancer sticks, rather than not smoking at all.  
 -- The whole-grain lobby uses the same procedure,... compared to white flour sugary food (twinkies?), whole grain food looks pretty good.  They do studies showing an improvement when switching to whole-grain food.  Therefore, we should eat more wheat/grain.  They completely bypass what would happen if we switched to no grains at all.

Glycemic index shows how much of a blood sugar spike various foods cause.  Most desirable is NO glycemic index at all,.. such as with meat, cheese, eggs, etc.  Acceptable blood sugar increases go along with veggies, fruits, nuts, etc.  Keeping a glycemic index in the low 20s or less will put the least strain on blood sugar levels.  Anything above 40 will create a blood sugar spike above 200mg/dl two hours later for most folks.

cauliflower, green beans, lettuce, spinach, etc. 15

strawberries 20

raspberries 22

rice 70

oats 60

corn 60

whole wheat bread 62

white bread 70

pasta 55

snickers bar 43

table sugar 65

cream of wheat cereal 66

cheerios 74

Eat a bowl of oatmeal or cheerios in the morning, and I can guarantee you a blood sugar spike shortly after you get to work, followed by a late morning slump as the blood sugar level ricochets back down below normal, following by some strong hunger pangs demanding a mid-morning snack.  Then the whole procedure repeats itself, and you are starving for lunch.

Keep the carb levels low and moderate, have no wheat/grains, and after a few days of this, the blood sugar roller coaster goes away.  So do the slumps, and hunger pangs.  

I do go on, don't I?  Embarrassed

Anyway, any grains give blood sugar spikes.  Avoiding all grains, especially wheat, creates some very pleasant surprises.  I won't repeat them here; this post is plenty long already.

Is there any chance you might get to read the book sometime?  If you don't want to buy it (Amazon $16), some libraries have it, and the bookstores get shipments in occasionally, but they don't last too long.  Some folks on the Wheat Belly FB page say they have read the book while relazing in the book store.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #493 - 12/16/11 at 10:11:20

My own personal experience:

The year is 1968, I was 8 years old, could easily bone the steamed or grilled fish I had in my plate with a mere fork and a piece of hard bread (as opposed to a fish knife).
My family's diet consisted in the typical Italian staple: Pasta with a meat or fish sauce, protein and veggies as a 2nd course, some cheese on holidays and fruit.
Cheese in those days was often served as a 3rd course, hence the tradition of the Cheese Tray with three, four options if not more.

Let's be honest, how many 8 y.o. (or 40 y.o., for that matter) can bone a fish nowadays ? I could. Smiley

Come October 30th, my Dad is posted to Washington, D.C., we all folloow along and embark on what is still, in my memories, a journey of fascination.

Genoa - Rome - NYC - Washington, DC., all from dawn to dusk on October 31st.

On the US Domestic flight, it is Halloween, but in Europe nobody had ever heard of Halloween (UK still refuses to acknowledge being European, maybe they're Irish, LOL).

My dinner consisted in a small hamburger (which I found intriguing... why ruin a perfectly good burger with a slice of that green mushy thing? Pickle?   Roll Eyes) French fries  Cheesy and an assortment of strange, superswweeet mushy rubbery spongy thingies in all colors and shapes.
Little did I know they were supposed to be... pumpkins and bats or whatever!  Roll Eyes

Unfortunately, I was ill the next day (as was my younger brother).

The Doc blamed it on fatigue (possible) my Mother on the new diet (more likely).

Still today, when I travel to the US, I shudder at the sight of synthetic gum compounds used as edible bases for sweets.

Diabetes is rife in the US because the consumption of sugar and glucose-based additives is out of control.

If wheat were the cause, Europeans would have died away centuries ago, yet our average age is still higher than in the US.

According to yesterday's news, in Italy 25% of the population is 60 years old or older...
...they all grew up on pasta, nobody could afford steak in 1946...and most still couldn't even in 1966...

I know, I was there.

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #494 - 12/16/11 at 11:01:19

Pescatori said, "Diabetes is rife in the US because the consumption of sugar and glucose-based additives is out of control.

If wheat were the cause, Europeans would have died away centuries ago, yet our average age is still higher than in the US."

That first statement is good as far as it goes.  You should have changed it to read, "Diabetes is rife in the US because the consumption of sugar, glucose-based additives, and foods that create glucose in the blood, is out of control."

This statement overlooks reality, "If wheat were the cause, Europeans would have died away centuries ago"  Check out the type and quantities of high-carb foods consumed in the US.  The blood sugar problem is worse here.  Way worse.  Also, don't look now, but Europeans are heading down this same obesity path,.. much in the way the buffoon wants us to head down the doomed European financial path.

I can tell you have not yet achieved enough of an understanding of these new findings on wheat to discuss this with credibility.  A lot of the studies/research done to come up with these new ideas was done in Europe.  If you would simply read the book, you'd be more believable.  Simply countering every point with some sort of statement that says, "No it isn't," doesn't contribute much.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 04:26:49

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.