Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #255 - 11/07/11 at 08:13:57

Built2Last wrote on 11/07/11 at 08:04:06:
Boule'tard why have I been selected to read "The Selfish Gene"? I'm actually sick of questioning the very fabric that holds the universe together...

Let me suggest at short story for you to read called "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell... later adapted into a movie by John Carpenter called "The Thing"  Cheesy

The Selfish Gene is the best primer on evolution out there, IMO.  

I have never heard of Who Goes There but tell me how I might benefit from it and I might well read it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #256 - 11/07/11 at 08:33:32

Well we're going way off the subject of wheat here, but Who Goes There? is an excellent short story about DNA and evolution and thinking "outside of the box".

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #257 - 11/07/11 at 08:50:34

Talking about evolution and DNA isn't too far off topic.  After all, part of the theory is that wheat DNA has been modified too fast in the last 50 years for human DNA to keep up, and that is now causing nutrition problems and celiac disease for some people.

I'll go ahead and put Who Goes There in the hopper of readings.  Especially if it is available as a downloadable PDF  Cheesy

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #258 - 11/07/11 at 17:46:37

Boule’tard wrote on 11/07/11 at 08:50:34:
Talking about evolution and DNA isn't too far off topic.  After all, part of the theory is that wheat DNA has been modified too fast in the last 50 years for human DNA to keep up, and that is now causing nutrition problems and celiac disease for some people.

I'll go ahead and put Who Goes There in the hopper of readings.  Especially if it is available as a downloadable PDF  Cheesy

Not only has wheat been modified egregiously, human DNA has a long way to go to simply adapt to grains.  We don't change very much, genetically speaking, in a mere 10,000 years.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #259 - 11/07/11 at 18:01:17

I haven't changed much in the last 50 years,I still look like I'm in my 20s.Gyro I knew we would agreed on something.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #260 - 11/07/11 at 18:13:27

Boule’tard wrote on 11/07/11 at 07:30:37:
Gyrobob wrote on 11/04/11 at 06:42:23:
I'm wondering what you folks estimate my motives are for bringing up the subject of wheat.  Why would I be trying to bring these concepts to this forum?  I don't want to do a poll because I don't want to channel any thoughts into defined answers.  I'm just curious as to your thoughts on why I would spend so much time and mental energy here trying to convince folks about how bad wheat is.  Any comments?

You figure it is a controversial subject that challenges people's long-held conventions, and therefore should generate some lively discussion, which it has.  Plus, you simply like to inform others of something you find beneficial and are convinced has merit.

I am trying it out because it is way better researched than other food recommendations and is likely to be more than a fad.  But like the fads, it promises a few health benefits I could sure use.  Plus, I'm desparate about the tinnitus. Even if it doesn't help with that "objectively" I'll take all the magic feathers I can get. Having more energy means less time laying down in quiet conditions when the ringing is the most annoying and impossible to ignore.

It could just be a low-carb thing, but I generally have more energy than I did a week ago.  I don't have the "deep sleep" others report; I go to sleep just the same, then at 4 or 5 in the morning, boing awake.  Usually when I wake up at an odd time and can't go back to sleep, I have to pay for it layer with a little nappy-poo. But on low carbs I have good energy from 5am to 10:30pm.

When I get done reading the book I'll lend it to a neighbor (pediatrician, same guy who examined my son when an inlaw dropped him on his face) and see what he thinks. I have half of the book to go, and the neighbor needs to return The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, which BTW would be very good for built2last66 to read.

Something odd sure is going on with the diabetes association if some carbs have a higher glycemic index than pure table sugar, yet they still recommend that diabetics eat them. I'm not diabetic, but just the same, I sure don't miss the energetic/tired/energetic/tired ride from my blood sugar yo-yoing up and down.  Just for fun I tried a big ol' baked potato (a food I love) the other day, and it crashed me good.

"You figure it is a controversial subject that challenges people's long-held conventions, and therefore should generate some lively discussion, which it has.  Plus, you simply like to inform others of something you find beneficial and are convinced has merit."

Very well stated.  It even sounds better coming from someone other than me, especially you.  Thanks.

I am hoping for some tinnitus relief myself.  Three tours in F-4 squadrons pretty much obliterated my high freq hearing, and increased the tinnitus with each tour.  It does get hard to live with sometimes.

I am experiencing the energy benefits you mention as well.  Today, for example, I dug out the old concrete, and set a new mailbox post in new concrete (three hours).  I took my current wife out to lunch and shopping (2.5 hours).  I assembled a lawn vac, and sucked up all the leaves in the front yard.  That lawn vac is heavy, and my front yard is a hill. (3 hours)  Two months ago I would have been a trembling mass at this point, but I feel fine,... well used, but fine.

I also can go to sleep SOOO much easier now.  I used to need melatonin or out and out sleeping drugs, and/or lie in bed reading for an hour or more to get sleepy.  Then I'd wake up groggy.  Now I can hit the sack any time I want, get comfy, and,... sleepy-time-time.  When I wake up, I feel much more rested now.

I know it would be TMI, so I won't go into it other than to say regularity with gentleness is a wonderful thing.

I've already mentioned the absence of headaches.  After decades of several headaches each week, it is heaven to be free of them now.

Also, I've gone from 212 to 206 in the month I have been wheat-free.  I was already a low-carber (since 2003) so I attribute all these benefits to just getting off of grains, especially wheat.

I also know just what you mean by the blood sugar spike yo-yo.  Life is serene in comparison, when the blood sugar stays low and consistent.

Glad you are still hanging in there!

« Last Edit: 11/07/11 at 19:26:27 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #261 - 11/09/11 at 17:48:59

WHEAT...

Yeah I did it....  Sad

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #262 - 11/09/11 at 18:39:05

Built2Last wrote on 11/09/11 at 17:48:59:
WHEAT...

Ain't that the truth... Huh...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #263 - 11/11/11 at 21:41:49

A buddy from high school emailed me about what has happened to him in the several weeks he has been off of wheat (and other grains).  After decades of diabetes and botched operations therewith, his diabetes numbers are down to the point of his doc telling him to cut out some of his medications and reduce others.  

This is similar to what the lady in the bookstore told me had happened to her.  (the one that made the crack about my age)  Several folks on the Wheat Belly facebook page have chimed in similarly.

I'm not diabetic, but it sure seems like getting rid of the catastrophic blood sugar spikes from eating wheat seems to have quite a beneficial effect for diabetics, anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #264 - 11/11/11 at 22:39:55

Ive had no wheat in about 2 weeks, very limited carbs, no corn, no taters, no bread of any kind, no chips & hot sauce, no alcohol of any kind. Beer is loaded with wheat,
Ive lost about 5 pounds, but I see no health improvements yet, still dragging, still the Brain Fog crap.. It may take 3 months to get the candida killed out,l I cant even eat a plum, or an apple, or cooked carrots.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #265 - 11/11/11 at 23:43:31

I'm having a problem completely avoiding all wheat, I was a bit ill prepared when I started so I knew I'd have the problem. I did eat a whole grain bun with some BBQ beef and the sluggishness hit me like a ton of bricks...

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #266 - 11/12/11 at 06:02:02

Built2Last wrote on 11/11/11 at 23:43:31:
I'm having a problem completely avoiding all wheat, I was a bit ill prepared when I started so I knew I'd have the problem. I did eat a whole grain bun with some BBQ beef and the sluggishness hit me like a ton of bricks...

Yes,.. avoiding wheat today is tough at first.  Wheat is EVERYWHERE.  it is a whole lot easier to say than to do because,... well, it is in just about everything.  Hang in there.  We'll start up a support group or something here, eh?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #267 - 11/12/11 at 06:26:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/11/11 at 22:39:55:
Ive had no wheat in about 2 weeks, very limited carbs, no corn, no taters, no bread of any kind, no chips & hot sauce, no alcohol of any kind. Beer is loaded with wheat,
Ive lost about 5 pounds, but I see no health improvements yet, still dragging, still the Brain Fog crap.. It may take 3 months to get the candida killed out,l I cant even eat a plum, or an apple, or cooked carrots.

Blood yeast problems were what started me low-carbing in 2003.  The Doc had me on a regimen that had no sugar at all, low carbs, and no fermented stuff like soy sauce, fancy cheeses, etc.   He was after a low and stable blood sugar, and no stuff that directly supported yeasty growing things.  I started losing weight gradually for 3 or 4 months then it stabilized,.. went from 235 or so to 205.  (I'm 6'3")

It took several months for the yeast thing to heal up, but it did.

The doc said my problems started back when I was 2 or 3 when polio victims were flooded with new antibiotics.

I wonder what would have happened if I had known about wheat back then?

Hope things keep improving.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #268 - 11/12/11 at 08:40:09

Did you have "Brain Fog" problems?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #269 - 11/12/11 at 12:02:14

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/12/11 at 08:40:09:
Did you have "Brain Fog" problems?

I had a variation of brain fog for a few days after starting wheat-free.  
 -- It was a kind of listlessness along with a low mood,... just not feeling very happy.  
 -- Thankfully it was about this time when the book arrived and, sho' nuf, I read about how wheat can affect you emotionally, and that moods can be affected as part of a "withdrawal syndrome" typical of getting off of wheat.  
 -- So, I "endeavored to perservere" and just accept the idea that it was all going to work out fine.  It did,.. it does.  
 -- The brain fog only lasted several days.  I suppose after 64 years of wheat every day, the effects don't disappear in an hour or so.

I had no idea about how wheat can screw up people psychologically until reading of some of the studies (some many decades old) in the book.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:33:02

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.