Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #240 - 11/05/11 at 11:34:59

bill67 wrote on 11/05/11 at 08:28:35:
Gyro there not to small for me,Are you trying to tell us something. Grin

Wow, you must really be constipated.  Maybe that is why the only thing that comes out of your mouth is,... well,... oh forget it.

Stop eating so much wheat, and maybe you'll be a regular guy once again.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #241 - 11/05/11 at 12:15:06

Somehow, Im not able to envision Ol Bill as ever bein a Regular Guy,, no matter how often he poops.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #242 - 11/05/11 at 18:57:13

"Gyro there not to small for me,Are you trying to tell us something."

Best one yet Bill, keep on truck'in my man. Grin Grin

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #243 - 11/05/11 at 20:16:50

Starlifter wrote on 11/05/11 at 18:57:13:
"Gyro there not to small for me,Are you trying to tell us something."

Best one yet Bill, keep on truck'in my man. Grin Grin

What do YOU use a single square of TP for?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #244 - 11/05/11 at 20:30:18

I was just in Books-a-Million this evening, and noticed they still had two copies of Wheat Belly.  They are hard to come by, it seems.

I had just picked it up when a forty-ish lady next to me started to advise me of the advantages of being wheat-free.

I played along for a bit, and asked her why I should do such a thing.

She said, "It's not just a diet, wheat is very bad for you.  You need to stop eating any wheat at all, especially someone YOUR age."

That last comment was really endearing.   Angry

Undismayed, I asked her what benefits she had seen so far.  She said she had only been on it for about two months, but so far she has lost 8 pounds, her headaches disappeared, and she sleeps better, but the biggy for her was that she is diabetic and her numbers have improved to that of a pre-diabetic.  (I resisted the temptation to make a remark about how she needs to keep working on the pound-per-week thing)

I am not diabetic, but I have found the same benefits she did so far.  Losing some weight, no more headaches, and I fall asleep easier.

I never did come clean and let her know I was familiar with the wheat-free thing.  I just let it go,... maybe she thinks she found a convert.

Aside from that crack about "someone my age" it was a pleasant thing chatting with someone else convinced of the wheat-free thing.  

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #245 - 11/05/11 at 23:05:51

Wheat is Bad for you? Really? Tell that to the 7 billion people that inhabit this planet! If you suffer from Celiac disease, then yes. But everything in moderation, consume plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and you will be OK. We overindulge in wheat, it's in everything we eat. Grains are a relatively new ingredient in the human diet, but it isn't bad for you... regardless what some pseudo-guru has to say. Eat a varied diet and live your life.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #246 - 11/06/11 at 04:16:28

Whet, in & of itself, isnt the bad guy. The problem is what weve done to ourselves & thers the point raised,
Eat a varied diet.

If you want to develop food alergies, take antibiotics, then eat the same foods over & over.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #247 - 11/06/11 at 05:43:30

SuperSavage wrote on 11/05/11 at 23:05:51:
Wheat is Bad for you? Really? Tell that to the 7 billion people that inhabit this planet! If you suffer from Celiac disease, then yes. But everything in moderation, consume plenty of fresh fruits and veggies and you will be OK. We overindulge in wheat, it's in everything we eat. Grains are a relatively new ingredient in the human diet, but it isn't bad for you... regardless what some pseudo-guru has to say. Eat a varied diet and live your life.

Yes, really.  We've already dispensed with the idea that everything in moderation is always okay.  Somethings are NOT good in moderation, and wheat is one of them.  The fact that it, and its harmful effects are so ubiquitous, does not make it any less harmful.

Yes, grains are relatively new,.. and they are bad for you.  Do a little research and you'll discover that when we started eating a lot of grain (approx 10,000 years ago) our lifespans actually decreased for a millenia or so, and we started to experience arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, etc., etc., etc.

I can tell by your remarks you have not researched the issue, let alone read the book.  Before you go spouting off about pseudo-gurus, you might at least investigate a little.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #248 - 11/06/11 at 05:51:53

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/06/11 at 04:16:28:
Whet, in & of itself, isnt the bad guy. The problem is what weve done to ourselves & thers the point raised,
Eat a varied diet.

If you want to develop food alergies, take antibiotics, then eat the same foods over & over.

I disagree.  Wheat, in and of itself IS the bad guy.  If you cut out wheat altogether, you lose nothing.  You gain many health benefits.  We were not designed to eat wheat or other grains, whole or otherwise.  

Yes, eat a varied diet.  Just make sure you don't include chaws of tobacco, cyanide, wheat, etc.  There are so many ways to have really great chow and avoid wheat altogether.  You don't have to eat wheat or any grains at all; it is quite easy to eat what we were desinged to eat.

I like your last point.  What many Docs do is to prescribe a diet that causes _____pick your problem_____ and then prescribe medications to alleviate the symptoms.  (and I think some don't even see the irony)

« Last Edit: 11/06/11 at 09:31:40 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #249 - 11/06/11 at 11:41:45

[quote author=0E303B262B262B490 link=1318163368/240#247 date=1320587010]SuperSavage wrote on 11/05/11 at 23:05:51:

Yes, really.  We've already dispensed with the idea that everything in moderation is always okay.  Somethings are NOT good in moderation, and wheat is one of them.  The fact that it, and its harmful effects are so ubiquitous, does not make it any less harmful.

Yes, grains are relatively new,.. and they are bad for you.  Do a little research and you'll discover that when we started eating a lot of grain (approx 10,000 years ago) our lifespans actually decreased for a millenia or so, and we started to experience arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, etc., etc., etc.

I can tell by your remarks you have not researched the issue, let alone read the book.  Before you go spouting off about pseudo-gurus, you might at least investigate a little.
[/quote

Monoagriculture brought large groups of people together, thus increasing the spread of disease through viruses, questionable water, unsanitary conditions ect etc. When you rely on a few crops or foods  for sustenance you become susceptible to health problems.

I didn't mean you as the pseudo-guru, it's all these diet book gurus spouting silliness. Hunting and gatherinhg isn't all that it's cracked to be. try and secure enough calories by that method.

And yes, I do know a little about nutrition. A variety of foods in all colors will do ya well.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #250 - 11/06/11 at 18:17:11

[quote author=4D686F69697E64667335373636070 link=1318163368/240#249 date=1320608505]Gyrobob wrote on 11/06/11 at 05:43:30:
SuperSavage wrote on 11/05/11 at 23:05:51:

[/quote

Monoagriculture brought large groups of people together, thus increasing the spread of disease through viruses, questionable water, unsanitary conditions ect etc. When you rely on a few crops or foods  for sustenance you become susceptible to health problems.

I didn't mean you as the pseudo-guru, it's all these diet book gurus spouting silliness. Hunting and gatherinhg isn't all that it's cracked to be. try and secure enough calories by that method.

And yes, I do know a little about nutrition. A variety of foods in all colors will do ya well.

A variety of foods in all colors will do you well as long as you exclude grains (mainly wheat).

I agree about the diet-book gurus. Most of them are nutritionists of some sort or another that think they found a way to make a quick buck.  (cabbage soup, eskimo, amputation, etc.)  

Once you actually study this guy's story, and find out how he came up with these conclusions, you might change his category from pseudo-guru to rebel cardiologist.  
 -- He discovered all this after seeing how futile it was to deal with his patients' heart disease by employing "common sense" like whole-grain foods.  
 -- He did the research himself, surprised himself, and going against the establishment (risking a lot of funding) he took his near dead patients off of wheat.
 -- Marvelous things happened.  He wrote it all up, and hence the book.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #251 - 11/06/11 at 20:01:48

Give it a rest Gyro, this thread has run it's course...mmmm, at dinner I had the most delicious chewy fresh baked bread hot from the oven and smelling like heaven...slathered on some 100% pure butter, and with a huge pot of homemade soup I ate like the kings.

...now go away and eat whatever it is that you eat and leave the rest of us alone to enjoy the staff of life.  Cheesy

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
SuperSavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #252 - 11/06/11 at 22:24:15

There is truth in what everyone here has opined. IMHO, the biggest culprit is "Processed foods" including ; bleached white, wheat flour. Has anyone tried, quinoa? amaranth? buck wheat?(not related to wheat) wild rice? I'm not huge into grains myself, but to enhance a meal I'll dabble.

To each their own. Eat sensibly and have a glass of vino, you only go around once...

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #253 - 11/07/11 at 07:30:37

Gyrobob wrote on 11/04/11 at 06:42:23:
I'm wondering what you folks estimate my motives are for bringing up the subject of wheat.  Why would I be trying to bring these concepts to this forum?  I don't want to do a poll because I don't want to channel any thoughts into defined answers.  I'm just curious as to your thoughts on why I would spend so much time and mental energy here trying to convince folks about how bad wheat is.  Any comments?

You figure it is a controversial subject that challenges people's long-held conventions, and therefore should generate some lively discussion, which it has.  Plus, you simply like to inform others of something you find beneficial and are convinced has merit.

I am trying it out because it is way better researched than other food recommendations and is likely to be more than a fad.  But like the fads, it promises a few health benefits I could sure use.  Plus, I'm desparate about the tinnitus. Even if it doesn't help with that "objectively" I'll take all the magic feathers I can get. Having more energy means less time laying down in quiet conditions when the ringing is the most annoying and impossible to ignore.

It could just be a low-carb thing, but I generally have more energy than I did a week ago.  I don't have the "deep sleep" others report; I go to sleep just the same, then at 4 or 5 in the morning, boing awake.  Usually when I wake up at an odd time and can't go back to sleep, I have to pay for it layer with a little nappy-poo. But on low carbs I have good energy from 5am to 10:30pm.

When I get done reading the book I'll lend it to a neighbor (pediatrician, same guy who examined my son when an inlaw dropped him on his face) and see what he thinks. I have half of the book to go, and the neighbor needs to return The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins, which BTW would be very good for built2last66 to read.

Something odd sure is going on with the diabetes association if some carbs have a higher glycemic index than pure table sugar, yet they still recommend that diabetics eat them. I'm not diabetic, but just the same, I sure don't miss the energetic/tired/energetic/tired ride from my blood sugar yo-yoing up and down.  Just for fun I tried a big ol' baked potato (a food I love) the other day, and it crashed me good.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #254 - 11/07/11 at 08:04:06

Boule'tard why have I been selected to read "The Selfish Gene"? I'm actually sick of questioning the very fabric that holds the universe together...

Let me suggest at short story for you to read called "Who Goes There?" by John W. Campbell... later adapted into a movie by John Carpenter called "The Thing"  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 20:34:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.