Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 66
Send Topic Print
0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly" (Read 6458 times)
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"
Reply #180 - 11/01/11 at 20:09:35

Add Verslagen1 to this mix.. no don't do it.. Cheesy

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #181 - 11/01/11 at 20:10:59

Built2Last wrote on 11/01/11 at 20:07:46:
I love both you guys, you even each other out.. seriously...

I would gladly risk not being evened out, and have the discussion be more relevant.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #182 - 11/01/11 at 20:20:16

I want a celeb death match: Gyrobob vs Bill67.. logic vs balls...  Cheesy

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #183 - 11/02/11 at 07:10:38

I think it will be a fun experiment.  So far, no change, though I don't expect much this soon.  Same beer belly (I still drink beer, good beer made from barley, not fortified with wheat or corn syrup).  Same tinnitus.

The book has good reviews on amazon and I think will be worth reading. I am most curious about the author's self-experiment where he changes from modern wheat to heirloom wheat.  That seems like a good way to isolate the GM wheat variable.

(having not read the book  Cheesy) I don't see what distinguishes wheat from say, corn.  Corn is another genetically modified, mass produced mono-crop that should have all the drawbacks of wheat.   I read The Omnivore's Dilemma, a great book by Michael Pollan.  It explains how corn is overproduced, then split pretty much to its individual molecules and re-integrated into just about every food we eat.  Fountain drinks?  Corn.  Chicken McNugget glue?  Corn. There is a chemical marker that can be found in a blood test to show roughly how much corn a person has consumed, and for us, that index is much higher than for people in countries without as much mono-agriculture.  I thought it was funny when Pollan said something like: "You think Mexicans eat a lot of corn? Compared to them, we are a bunch of walking tortilla chips."

So how come wheat is being picked on instead of corn?  I don't know, but will at least read the book.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly
Reply #184 - 11/02/11 at 07:42:45

Boule’tard wrote on 11/02/11 at 07:10:38:
I think it will be a fun experiment.  So far, no change, though I don't expect much this soon.  Same beer belly (I still drink beer, good beer made from barley, not fortified with wheat or corn syrup).  Same tinnitus.

The book has good reviews on amazon and I think will be worth reading. I am most curious about the author's self-experiment where he changes from modern wheat to heirloom wheat.  That seems like a good way to isolate the GM wheat variable.

(having not read the book  Cheesy) I don't see what distinguishes wheat from say, corn.  Corn is another genetically modified, mass produced mono-crop that should have all the drawbacks of wheat.   I read The Omnivore's Dilemma, a great book by Michael Pollan.  It explains how corn is overproduced, then split pretty much to its individual molecules and re-integrated into just about every food we eat.  Fountain drinks?  Corn.  Chicken McNugget glue?  Corn. There is a chemical marker that can be found in a blood test to show roughly how much corn a person has consumed, and for us, that index is much higher than for people in countries without as much mono-agriculture.  I thought it was funny when Pollan said something like: "You think Mexicans eat a lot of corn? Compared to them, we are a bunch of walking tortilla chips."

So how come wheat is being picked on instead of corn?  I don't know, but will at least read the book.

Yes, it is all explained in the book.  All grains are crops that we were were never designed to eat.  Maybe, 100,000 years from now the genetic programming might change enough, but for you and me, grains do bad things.  These bad things are mostly associated with blood sugar spikes and the related insulin spikes that are so unhealthy.

Wheat is the "spikey-est" of them all, but it has even more hurtfullness in it related to ph unbalance, heart disease, aging, skin problems, internal organ abuse, etc.  The other grains, while high-carb and harmful, are just amateurs compared to wheat.

Glad to have you interested in this.

IP Logged
arteacher
Serious Thumper

Ride as if your
naked and invisable!

London ontario
Reply #185 - 11/02/11 at 07:43:08

I am still wheat free, except once when I had to buy a sandwich at school.
I tried rice pasta in my paglia e fieno recipe and it turned to a pasty mass while cooking, so I will look for an alternative.

white '07, Raask exh, Corbin seat, slipstreamer shie, Raptor, Routy's fwd controls, Baron tach, Frisco bars, Isogrips, Headlight and taillight modulators, Dial-a- jet, AME 9 deg chop kit, K&N air flt
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #186 - 11/02/11 at 07:50:40

Ive tried rice [pasta,, yuck,, If I was ever hanging wall paper, Id consider buyin more.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Built2Last
Serious Thumper

Tempt Fate

FTF
Reply #187 - 11/02/11 at 07:59:38

This is pretty hard I have to say, I'm on chicken (not breaded), peanuts, green beans, and jalapeno stuffed olives... so far...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #188 - 11/02/11 at 08:06:21

arteacher wrote on 11/02/11 at 07:43:08:
I tried rice pasta in my paglia e fieno recipe and it turned to a pasty mass while cooking, so I will look for an alternative.

Rice noodles cook differently then wheat noodles.
But you can achieve the same texture as wheat.
Don't ask me how.

And a good alternative is spaghetti squash.  easy to cook too.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #189 - 11/02/11 at 08:39:11

arteacher wrote on 11/02/11 at 07:43:08:

Wow.  Congrats on the wheat-free-ness.

Pasta is an issue for we wheat-free folks.  There are few alternatives.  Most non-wheat alternatives are grain-based so they still have the associated blood-sugar spikes.  So, they aren't quite as bad as wheat, but they are high-carb.

Shirataki noodles, spaghetti squash, and thinly sliced zucchini are good for pasta-ish dishes.  The shirataki noodles are actually noodles.  They have very little flavor, but they aggressively soak up whatever the flavor is of the stuff they are sitting in.  Last night, my current wife made an intensely flavorful marinara sauce with garlic meatballs, and dumped it over the shirataki noodles.  My, oh, my, was it delectable.

I like spaghetti squash a lot, but I prefer it as a side dish with butter and salt.  I think I'll try it with the meatball sauce mentioned above.  Spaghetti squash cooks up quickly and easily in a microwave,.. just remember to poke a few holes in it or you'll have a squash-o-nuke explosion.

When I have to get a sandwich or a burger, etc., I just eat the innards and toss the bread.  This works pretty well at McD's or Wendy's or Burger King.  I just get a double burger with extra veggies and ask for a knife and fork. Some places like Red Robin will serve any of their burgers bunless,.. wrapped in large sheets of lettuce so you can hold it like a burger.  Hardee's was doing this for a while too, but I don't know if they do anymore.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #190 - 11/02/11 at 09:10:56

Built2Last wrote on 11/02/11 at 07:59:38:
This is pretty hard I have to say, I'm on chicken (not breaded), peanuts, green beans, and jalapeno stuffed olives... so far...

Maybe you are being too strict on yourself.  In post #140 there was a condensed version of this system.  Here's part of that post:

Unlimited Vegetables ─ except potatoes; fresh or frozen, never canned
Raw nuts and seeds ─ raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews; dry-roasted peanuts (not roasted in oil); pumpkin and sunflower seeds, macadamia nuts
Healthy oils (unheated) ─ olive, flaxseed, coconut, avocado, walnut
Meats ─ red meats, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs
Non-wheat grains ─ ground flaxseed, chia seeds
Teas, coffee, water, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water
Cheeses -- real cultured cheeses only (not Velveeta or single-slice processed cheese)
Avocado or guacamole; hummus; unsweetened condiments, e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, oil-based salad dressings; ketchup without high-fructose corn syrup; pesto, tapenades; olives

Limited: Fruit ─ No more than 2 servings a day (one serving is a level handful), preferably in this order (best first): berries of all varieties, citrus, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons. Minimize bananas, pineapples, mangoes, and grapes
Fruit juices ─ only real juices and in minimal quantities (no more than 2-4 oz)
Dairy products ─ No more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese or yogurt, unsweetened (Fat content does not matter.)
Legumes/beans; peas; sweet potatoes and yams; rice (white and brown); soy
Dark chocolates ─ 70-85% cocoa min; no more than 40 grams (approximately 2 inches square) per day
Sugar-free foods ─ preferably stevia-containing, rather than aspartame, no wheat products, limited grains of any kind

There must be 10,000 combinations of stuff to enjoy in there.  I'm quite entertained with just the nearly limitless combinations of meat (beef, pork, fowl, fish, etc.) and veggies (zillions of fresh veggies at Wally world alone!).

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #191 - 11/02/11 at 09:14:42

Along with that previous post, there are lots of sources of wheat-free recipes on the internet, so you can have goodies, breads, pancakes, etc.  This morning I made pumpkin pie and a loaf of bread, for example.

Another example,.. here's a recipe for lemon cheesecakey things.  These are plenty good for any kind of diet or non-diet.  

1 cup ground walnuts
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons butter, softened, or coconut oil
Sweetener equivalent to 3 tablespoons sugar
12 oz cream cheese or Neuchâtel cheese, softened
1½ tablespoons coconut flour
2 large eggs
Grated rind and juice of 1 medium lemon
½ cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350º F.

In small bowl, mix together ground walnuts, butter or coconut oil, cinnamon, and one-third of sweetener. Spoon into paper cupcake liners and press down with spoon until flat.

In large bowl, place cream cheese, eggs, and coconut flour and blend at low speed until well-mixed. Add in lemon rind and juice, coconut milk, remainder of sweetener and vanilla and beat until thoroughly mixed. Spoon mixture over top of walnut crust in cupcake liners.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and cool.

Optionally, decorate with slice of strawberry, shaved dark chocolate, or mint leaf. Store in refrigerator.

The guy that came up with the recipe said he made the batch, had a couple, and put the rest in the fridge for later.  He went out to do yardwork for a few hours, came back in to have a few, and, you guessed it, they were gone.  (teenagers)

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #192 - 11/02/11 at 09:44:00

My favorite meat on your meat list was the eggs,I do like coconut water.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #193 - 11/02/11 at 11:32:27

bill67 wrote on 11/02/11 at 09:44:00:
My favorite meat on your meat list was the eggs,I do like coconut water.

I like eggs too.

« Last Edit: 11/02/11 at 13:47:55 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #194 - 11/02/11 at 11:47:31

Minimize bananas?!  If there's one thing our genes should have caught up with, it's bananas!  

Anyway.. over lunch I noticed a smiley-Amazon package on my porch, probably some good weekend reading.  Cheesy  

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 66
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 00:34:37

General CategoryThe Cafe › 0-60 in 2 seconds less?  "Wheat Belly"

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.