Send Topic Print
Bike is Feeling Odd (Read 375 times)
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Re: Bike is Feeling Odd
Reply #30 - 10/02/11 at 17:37:07

I'll get that 17mm socket tomorrow and before work Tuesday I'll go over all the motor mount bolts and check them all out with my new torque wrench.

I need to build the DIY $20 bike stand. Or spend $80 with a 20% off coupon I have for Harbor Freight and get their bike lift that has a good amount of positive reviews.

verslagen1 wrote on 10/02/11 at 17:32:28:
I hope he didn't charge you for all those wts.  It was his screw up.

That dot should be lined up with the valve stem.  Cause it's almost 90° off, it makes sense where all the wts. are.  And it's a pain in the ass to move it once it's on, so as long as it's balanced, fine.  But if he didn't dynamically balance it, I'd go back and ask for it.  Like I said, his screw up and you're feeling a problem.

He showed me the wheel while it was on his balancer and showed that it had zero'd out after adding all that weight.

No, he didn't charge me because he had quoted me a price before had and didn't say anything about cost of weights. He said afterwards that he'd have to change the wording of his quote for future customers because he put on about $12 worth of weights.

He did take 2.5 hours to do the darn job, so yeah, not the most competent mechanic ever.

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/02/11 at 17:32:31:

Looking at the pic -- is his valve stem sitting crooked?

I see the stem, where is the mark on his tire that indicates the matching lightest spot on the tire?

I question the competence of his mounting/balancing person ....

PS   save all those unnecessary balance weights -- I want them !!!

Wink

So should I go back? A real mechanic should stand behind his work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #31 - 10/02/11 at 17:39:55

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 10/02/11 at 17:32:31:
I question the competence of his mounting/balancing person

Huh

I have no such doubts that you've gotten the bottom of the barrel.

You otta loan him your bb uzi for his next visit.

WWW   IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #32 - 10/02/11 at 17:44:38

I have a chunk of an 8"x8" about 18" long I shove under the right side by tilting it over on the sidestand. Then I stand the bike up & scoot it over on the 8" by. Works ok & costs nothing if you can find a scrap like I did. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #33 - 10/05/11 at 14:07:22

So things would seem to be even worse than I had realized. I took the tank off to get at the upper motor mount. Two of em were just a bit loose, but the 3rd bolt was completely loose. I could move it around by hand. I tightened those and all the lower mounts down with my torque wrench. I did the spark plug door mod while I had the tank off, just removed the 1 bolt closest to me.

Since the plug was accessible I figured I'd take it out and read it. There was oil and filth all over the top of the head. The plug was loose. Found another source of my oil leak that had recently become much worse than before.
(You'll scold me for this and Sammy might get hurt from it) But I didn't get that area cleaned out before taking out the plug. I actually unscrewed the plug by hand because it was THAT loose, and I didn't have a metric sized spark plug socket.

Rode my bicycle to Home Depot and got a socket, cleaned the plug up with a brush,  carefully put the plug back in because it was good and showing that I was expectedly running a bit lean in stock form.

Got the tank back on and fired her up. I rode it around the neighborhood for a short ride and didn't feel much vibration, think the motor mounts were the problem. It even felt better on idle. But during that short ride I heard some noise I'd never heard (I didn't have my helmet on so I could hear it) I quickly went back home.

The bike has been ticking for a while now, that's not that new. It just sounds worse than it had been.
It sounds even worse on video =/
http://youtu.be/EHXBAKzyr9c

Valves out of whack and Cam Tensioner about to go?

IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 10/05/11 at 14:46:40

YUCK.

Deff sounds like the cam chain/tensioner.

Ive listened/looked at the other 3 vids of other people with their tensioner shot and or it bouncing off the gear and it sounds darn near exactly like that.  I highly suggest you find that post or thread, and listen to the vids.

I fired my bike up this morning just to be sure it didn't sound like that. ( it doesn't thank GOD. its an 87 with 29K on it, and i have no friggin clue about its past service history. I got my fingers, toes, and any other crossable appendage crossed ! )

Time for you to drop your oil, pull the cover, and inspect it. I predict a "omg help me versy" PM being sent soon....

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #35 - 10/05/11 at 14:49:29

This thing is my only vehicle. I don't know what I'm going to do if I can't have it on the road.

IP Logged
SurfJunkie

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 10/05/11 at 15:31:18

Heres OF's thread.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1308708632

The first vid sounds way worse then yours, but this user's i believe was actually completely out of the assembly and literally bouncing off the gear.

Perhaps what you've thought was the valves needing adjusting has been the tensioner singing its farewell.

Id wait for one of the more knowledgeable guys to comment ( V1, OF etc. ) before going after anything.

Personally, id pull the cover first and have a look at the tensioner. If after measurement its not over extended, scope the valve clearance.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 05:11:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike is Feeling Odd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.