Send Topic Print
Bike is Feeling Odd (Read 375 times)
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Re: Bike is Feeling Odd
Reply #15 - 09/29/11 at 08:03:01

Grabbed the lever, didn't take very far but I could feel it engage.

I just found A problem, maybe this is THE problem?
I'm missing a bolt for my swingarm!

Yeah I know my bike is dirty as hell. It's been almost 2 weeks since I washed it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 09/29/11 at 08:17:46

That's a bolt for the rear motor mount.
You got 2 more just like it on the other side and 1 more on the lower side of swing arm.

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #17 - 09/29/11 at 08:28:38

Yeah, I just went back out there and took a better look at things and realized it's a motor mount bolt.

Well I was feeling the vibration in the footpeg, so I think this is the source of my problem.

Thanks Verslagen. I'll have to take one of those out and go to ACE to find a replacement. Hopefully they'll have one because the Suzuki dealer doesn't.

I also REALLY need to get a torque wrench.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #18 - 10/01/11 at 16:08:34

I aired up my tires to spec. I loosened the rear brake a little bit (3turns)

So I figured I'd remove the heat shield to get at that lower motor mount bolt so I could figure out a replacement for the one that was missing. The parts diagram in the Clymer only shows 1 bolt to remove for the heat shield. Cool, it's easy to get to. It failed to mention the TWO PHILLIPS SCREWS that also attach the heat shield to the bike.  Angry I ended up removing THE WHOLE EXHAUST to get at that one stupid bolt motor mount bolt out of the bike. But hey! I now know who to remove the exhaust when it comes time to put on my Dyna  Cheesy Hell, I would have put the Dyna on if I already had the jets and clamp. No local shops have the jets (I've checked). I'll have to get em online.

I also learned that my exhaust clamp that mounts the header to the cylinder is WARPED. That would explain my exhaust leak Cheesy $26 for a new clamp from BikeBandit. I already have a new exhaust gasket.

ANYWAY, I replaced both lower rear motor mount allen head bolts, put some Loctite RED and torqued them down to about 20ft lbs. I coudn't retorque the nut that's supposed to be torqued to 51-64 ft lbs because I don't have a metric socket larger than 14mm. Would that nut be 15mm or 16mm? Page 74 of the Clymer.

The vibration and lugging feeling I was noticing before isn't totally gone. It has changed. I rode the bike 40 miles today to work and back and I didn't really have that same lugging feeling. Instead I now get more of a a tight vibration I can feel in the grips and with my knees against tank. It's stronger when I'm accelerating hard.

Should I just go and retorque ALL of the motor mount bolts?

This thing is 10 years old and none of those bolts besides the ones I've been forced to go over have been touched since it was assembled. I've had: 1 exhaust header clamp bolt vibrate out, the other come loose (which is why my exhaust header clamp is warped). 1 motor mount bolt vibrate out. 1 toolbag cover and toolbag vibrate out. 1 left side frame cover vibrate off.

Loosey goosey!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #19 - 10/01/11 at 16:13:10

I don't think there's any 15 or 16mm bolts on our bike... probably a 17mm...

Stock muffler's heavy ain't it?...  Dyna will save you 8lbs... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #20 - 10/01/11 at 16:16:26

17mm eh? Thanks Serowbot.

It is! The Dyna is so much lighter. Maybe after I replace it I can break that 90mph mark, downhill, with a good tailwind! Hahaha.

IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #21 - 10/02/11 at 16:29:13

So when riding around today I feel the same vibration. It's pretty strong from 55mph on up through 70. Stronger vibration than I've ever had in the previous 5000miles with this bike. I haven't gone faster than 70 since I've been feeling this.

It's a bit stronger on the right side grip and peg than on the left side.

When I had my rear tire replaced the guy took off the old balancing weights on the spokes and added 7 oz weights and one 3/4oz weight because the wheel was that far off from being balanced.

Any chance the front is pretty off too and a source of my vibs?

Engine sounds right but this all doesn't feel right. I haven't yet checked the torque on all the other motor mount bolts yet.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #22 - 10/02/11 at 17:00:21

You have 7 and 3/4 ounces of balance weights on the rear tire of a Savage?

That is about six times what I would expect you to have !!!

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #23 - 10/02/11 at 17:07:17

I took this before to show Verslagen about the location of my valve stem compared to where the dot on the tire is. You can see where the grouping of weights is.

I actually felt LESS vibration on my butt/lower back from the back of my seat than I had before having those weights. Before this other problem started.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #24 - 10/02/11 at 17:14:28

If you didn't have the vibration before you got the new tire I would suspect that the balance is wrong. If I had a motorcycle tire that needed that much weight to balance, I would take it off & send it back.
I would take a marker & mark where the weights are(that way you can put them back if necessary), then take them off & go for a ride. Or maybe block the bike up to get the rear wheel off the ground & go through the gears (you can do this without removing the weights) & see if that was my vibration. Grin

Mechanics rule: If a new problem shows up right after something has been changed or worked on, double check the previous work before doing anything else. Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #25 - 10/02/11 at 17:18:34

The bike felt great for the first 9 days and 500 miles after getting the tire on. I felt LESS vibration from the rear than I had noticed before.

This problem I'm feeling happend 10 days after getting the tire on and just after a 400 mile round trip ride from one side of the state to the other.

IP Logged
RidgeRunner13
Serious Thumper

haulin' the
groceries!

Mustang Island, Texas
Reply #26 - 10/02/11 at 17:27:00

I would still block it up with the tire off  the ground & see what it felt like. It won't cost anything & would eliminate the rear tire/wheel assembly as the problem. With vibrations it's important to figure out what it ain't to figure out what it is. Huh Cool

Wind me up & watch me run, I ain't never had too much fun!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 10/02/11 at 17:27:28

Fish wrote on 10/01/11 at 16:08:34:
The vibration and lugging feeling I was noticing before isn't totally gone. It has changed. I rode the bike 40 miles today to work and back and I didn't really have that same lugging feeling. Instead I now get more of a a tight vibration I can feel in the grips and with my knees against tank. It's stronger when I'm accelerating hard.

Should I just go and retorque ALL of the motor mount bolts?

This thing is 10 years old and none of those bolts besides the ones I've been forced to go over have been touched since it was assembled.

Top motor mount needs to be retorqued.

Mine is over 20 years old.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 10/02/11 at 17:32:28

Fish wrote on 10/02/11 at 17:07:17:
I took this before to show Verslagen about the location of my valve stem compared to where the dot on the tire is. You can see where the grouping of weights is.

I actually felt LESS vibration on my butt/lower back from the back of my seat than I had before having those weights. Before this other problem started.

I hope he didn't charge you for all those wts.  It was his screw up.

That dot should be lined up with the valve stem.  Cause it's almost 90° off, it makes sense where all the wts. are.  And it's a pain in the ass to move it once it's on, so as long as it's balanced, fine.  But if he didn't dynamically balance it, I'd go back and ask for it.  Like I said, his screw up and you're feeling a problem.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #29 - 10/02/11 at 17:32:31

Looking at the pic -- is his valve stem sitting crooked?

I see the stem, where is the mark on his tire that indicates the matching lightest spot on the tire?

I question the competence of his mounting/balancing person ....

PS   save all those unnecessary balance weights -- I want them !!!

Wink

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike is Feeling Odd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.