Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FYI-Shock Bushing Removal (Read 102 times)
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
FYI-Shock Bushing Removal
08/12/11 at 18:52:35

For those needing a little more seat height, and the only help is an ol'pair of Sporty Shocks, use a "C" clamp and 1 lg socket and 1 small socket, press the bushing into the lg socket by means of the small socket and "C" clamp. Then do same for the stock Savage shocks and swap the bushings, mount Sporty shocks w/ Savage bushings to 'Ol Faithful and Roll.
Like turning a bike @road speed.....Slow, Look, Press, & Roll

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Re: FYI-Shock Bushing Removal
Reply #1 - 08/13/11 at 06:05:07

Huh?

Pictures?

Electronics! All day.

Suspension ===> LOST!

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
LarryC
YaBB Newbies

ClingingToGod

Lower Alabama
Reply #2 - 08/13/11 at 08:14:22

Sorry.... Haven't figured out the photo transport system yet.

Are you wanting to raise the seat?

LarryC

'05 S40, K/N Filter, Raptor Petcock, Inline Filter, Idle Mix 3, Sporty Shorty, Dial A Jet.....
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/13/11 at 08:56:55

Nice work Larry,... sounds like a good technique... Wink...
For additional height and comfort,... check out the front seat lift mod in the Tech section...
I have 2" over shocks,.. and an extra 2" lift on the front end of the seat...
Lifting the front part, puts yer' butt more in the pocket of the seat, and stops that sliding forward feeling...
Nice easy mod...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/13/11 at 18:53:07

I have also used the large and small socket method to remove Sportster shock bushings.  Be aware that the bushing and eye in the shock tapers down quite a bit in the center so if you encounter some stubborn resistance your smaller socket may be hanging up in there and a smaller one will be required.  A little soapy water also helps them along.  If everything goes well the Harley bushings will make it through in good shape and will be reusable should you want to put them back in a Harley again.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #5 - 08/14/11 at 05:54:24

I read "shock"and "bushing" in the same sentence and I thought of coils, springs, suspension.

This is a seat mod! nevermind my question.

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 10/05/11 at 17:15:34

When you guys are talking about fitting Sportser shocks are you replacing the entire bushing, the rubber part including the steel insert or just the steel insert?  It would certainly be a lot simpler to replace the steel insert only.  Is the steel bushing molded into the rubber or can it be pushed out?  I don't want to experiment with my left over Sporster bushings because a friend could use them.

I pushed out the Sportster rubber bushings entirely and replaced them with home made ones I made from a thick rubber hose and some rigid stainless hydralic tubing.  I have a lathe and I am always looking for an excuse to use it but the homemade ones are not the best.  The hose material I used wasn't that great.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 02:44:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › FYI-Shock Bushing Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.