Send Topic Print
Bike is Feeling Odd (Read 375 times)
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Bike is Feeling Odd
09/28/11 at 21:00:57

So this might be hard to convey without anyone being able to actually ride my bike and feel what's happening. But I'm concerned. Sammy is my only form of transportation.

You know the feeling of the engine lugging when your RPMs are too low for your current gear and you need to downshift? Starting with 3rd gear around 35mph the bike feels similar to that. It feels like the motor is working harder than it is supposed to be. But everything sounds like normal.

This past weekend I had two rides of 200 miles each, one on Thursday night and one Monday morning.  Almost all of it at 65mph on the highway. I didn't have this issue before the weekend.

Monday afternoon (a couple hours after the 2nd 200 mile ride) I had to ride to work, 20miles each way.

Going into 4th it feels even worse. That lugging feeling continues through about 55mph in 5th. I'm NOT shifting too early, it's not actually lugging. The bike sounds fine and the engine speed is where it should be. But even all the way through those gears I still feel that lugging type of vibration. I felt it Monday and Tuesday. Today going to work I didn't feel it much at all. Coming home from work I felt it again.

I've also had clunky shifting to go along with this, not consistently though.

2001, stock. I got it with 3200miles in March and now it has 8300. I have had a small oil leak from the plug area since about 4000 miles.
I put on a Raptor 1 week ago. I changed my oil and accidentally went with a synthetic blend of Bel Ray 10/40 1000 miles ago (made my leak worse). I normally use the 10/40 Dino oil. Replaced my plug with NGK 4000miles ago (haven't looked at it since) Air filter is original and kinda dirty. Went with an AGM battery on the 17th. I made sure to check my oil at every stop for gas on that 400 mile trip. Only had to add about 1/5th of a quart over the ride to keep the oil window full while holding the bike vertical. Bike idles nicely. Valves make a bit of noise, not too bad though (Have not been adjusted)

Any ideas?
Losing compression from the worsening oil leak?
Odd vibration from maybe loose motor mounts?
Dirty plug + dirty air filter messing things up?
Valves not happy?
Cam chain ready to wreak havoc?

Any insight would be appreciated. Let me know if there's something more specific I can say to help convey my problem.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Bike is Feeling Odd
Reply #1 - 09/28/11 at 21:24:47

First off, go simple.

The back brake adjustment on the steel brake rod back on the rear wheel hub assembly, loosen it 3-4 turns until your rear brake has a lot of slop in it.

Does the "sluggish feeling" change any?

On my bike I run the rear brake loose while on the interstate, and tighten it up for rapid response in town.

Brakes dragging can make our engine feel weak and sick ...

... too much power is sapped by the dragging brakes turning good engine energy back into friction heat.

BTW  ---- respond and say you did the things suggested and stay on the same thread this time -- nobody can help you if you jump around or leave for a while and come back 3 weeks later.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #2 - 09/28/11 at 21:32:59

Hmm. I did have my rear tire replaced at a car/MC repair shop about 800 miles ago which was about 10 days before this began. He adjusted it to plenty tighter than I had had it before. He said that was "closer to spec" than where I had it before. I think I adjusted it back out again afterwards because I wasn't comfortable with how quickly the rear was grabbing. But since riding around I've gotten used to it, doesn't feel too tight. I'll try loosening it though.

What are you referring to OF? I visit this site daily. If I didn't reply to anything for weeks at a time it might have been when I first started coming here. Sorry  Embarrassed

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/28/11 at 21:47:02

not you in particular, just something that happens alot.

we ol' farts tend to forget where we where a couple of days ago.

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #4 - 09/28/11 at 21:49:02

Oh, okay. I have seen exactly what OldFeller was talking about in some of the threads I have read. I do keep my own issues to my own thread. And I have made separate threads for separate/unrelated issues.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 09/28/11 at 21:51:00

When the bottom bolts are loose you can feel it in the footpegs more.
When the top bolts are loose you can feel it in the handles.

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #6 - 09/28/11 at 21:52:40

I definitely feel it more in my footpegs.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 09/28/11 at 21:54:04

It don't hurt to check them, 50 ftlbs.

don't worry too much about the oil leak, 1/5 a qt aint much.
just don't let it go too low.

WWW   IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #8 - 09/28/11 at 22:01:57

I'm definitely understating the severity of my leak with that sentence. Those 2 days I went through a 1/5 of a quart. Since I changed my oil only about 800 miles ago I've used an extra 1/2 of a quart, a good 450ml.
If I showed you a picture of the oil that's all over everything on my bike you guys might even tell me to park it, and that my oil leak isn't just in the plug cap.

But yeah, I'm vigilant about checking my oil and adding some as needed because of my leak.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #9 - 09/28/11 at 22:30:15

Still, listen to what Veslagen said -- the oil leak does not translate into "headgasket" or any other form of power leakage.   It is the rubber plug, which you will fix when you have tools and time to do it in.   Until then, let it leak, clean it up periodically and replace the oil that escapes.

Adjust the rear brake to be VERY LOOSE and get back to us with the results.    If you ran it very tight for a while after the shop screwed it up, you may have built up a bunch of brake dust in your brake drum cavity which makes the "draggy stuff" act worse than it would otherwise.

Quit taking your bike to a place that understands it less than you do.

"closer to book specs indeed ....."    

The idiot understands the bike not at all and is correcting you, who do understand it some with the shite he reads from a shop manual?

We keep up an entire LIBRARY of the known errors in the Clymers and the shop manuals .....

If loosening the brakes helps your root issue, you will perhaps learn something about taking it to the shop.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #10 - 09/28/11 at 22:45:37

Well that did stick out in my head, because I was wondering why a guy who had never worked on a Savage before knew what "closer to spec" was. He didn't say "Book spec" and I watched him for nearly an hour, I didn't see him thumbing through any manuals and I didn't see them in his work area. The guy has a real shop with 3 heavy duty car lifts and 1 motorcycle lift. I only went to a shop because I did not have the tools necessary to get my rear wheel off by myself to have the tire replaced. I've taken car tires off dozens of times, it's easy enough for anyone and only requires 2 tools essentially. But I'm new to the world of wrenching on a motorcycle. I need more tools! It's too late (almost 2am) for me to work on the bike tonight. But I will adjust the rear brake tomorrow and get back to you with the results.

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #11 - 09/28/11 at 23:00:49

What you are paying a mechanic will buy you a full set of tools.

I took my son in law to Sears because he had no tools.   He was shocked when I got a push cart and started going down the isles putting in the cart a duplicate of my basic tool box (can handle 95% of everything) and he was shocked that I was going skimpy on SAE and very heavy on the metric stuff.

He has since learned that Honda/Acura was what he owned and he has all the tools he needs to work on his cars and his motorcycle -- all of them right down to the snap ring pliers.

Harbor Freight is a much better place to buy your basic tools if you are really tight for money -- they are not first class tools and they don't have the Sears "You Bust It, We Replace It" 100% no questions asked forever warranty.  

But they cost only 1/3 as much as Sears would cost too.    And they do the job jest fine .... replace what you actually bust and you still save a whole lot of money over what the Sears would cost.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #12 - 09/29/11 at 06:13:19

Captain Obvious here  Cheesy  (sorry)

Check the tire pressures, and the front brake as well.  Maybe that shop didn't air it back up all the way when they replaced the tire?

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Fish

Who Shot Who In The
What Now?

(near) Tampa, FL
Reply #13 - 09/29/11 at 06:53:19

Haven't adjusted the brake yet, I have some service being done in my home here in twenty minutes and I just woke up a little while ago.

Both tires are a little low. The front is at 24psi (5lbs low) and the rear is 28psi (5lbs low). The front brake is barely working currently, definitely not dragging too much. I need to replace the line and the fluid, gotta get the pads off and have a good look at them too. The pads, line, and maybe even fluid (it's a a little dark in the sight glass) are all stock, 10 years old.

OldFeller, I've only spent $45 on a mechanic with my bike for him to take the wheel off, replace the tire, and put the wheel back on. I do want to buy quality tools, but my budget might keep me at Harbor Freight. I want to do some Garage Sailing while we've still got summer temperatures down here and score some good used tools on the cheap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/29/11 at 07:32:17

Just grab the brake lever on the rear drum,, move it,, you should be able to feel the brake engage,if you cant, loosen it off.. Ride it, dont use the rear brake,, touch rear hub,, burn little fingers? Brake is dragging..

thers 2 ways to check it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 13:08:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike is Feeling Odd

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.