Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: The Project: Phase 4
Reply #240 - 12/05/11 at 15:02:45

MotoBuddha wrote on 12/05/11 at 13:14:24:
I like the look of the slots. And they make it lighter.

To each his own.  I don't like the look of the slots,  and the way they line up with the top of the cover, and the way the top of the cover sticks way up away from the belt.  It makes it look like the cover was made to fit something else,.. which in the case of a CS-1, it sorta was.

Maybe I'd like the slots if they were lined up with the other visuals on the bike.  Yeah, that's it!,... fill in the slots, then cut new ones that flow better with the looks of the mechanical stuff on the left side of the machinery!

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #241 - 12/05/11 at 18:48:49

I have to agree, at least partly with GYROBOB here. I was looking at the top part of the cover myself, wondering how I could lower the angle, but remember; that folds over and covers the top of the belt/chain, so if you cut that off, are you going to then weld on a new top piece? I think that might be structurally important; having that angle and the webbing on the back side that supports it.
By the time you do all of that, and weld in those slots, sand it all back smooth, and then re-cut new ones, would it make sense to have someone make a whole new cover from Fiberglass?
I know my project is basic enough that I probably won't mess with it myself, but  for you Buddah, given how far you've taken this thing already, it seems like it's worth looking into...  

I can't wait to see what you decide!!

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #242 - 12/06/11 at 06:47:43

teabowl13 wrote on 12/05/11 at 18:48:49:
I have to agree, at least partly with GYROBOB here. I was looking at the top part of the cover myself, wondering how I could lower the angle, but remember; that folds over and covers the top of the belt/chain, so if you cut that off, are you going to then weld on a new top piece?.....

Yes, welding on a new top piece would be required.  This mod would be out of the question if you did not have a Mig or Tig welding capability available.

I wonder, though, if some of the systems that "braze" aluminum might work?  I've seen guys at expos and fairs, etc., use a torch to do what looks like soldering or brazing two pieces of aluminum together with some sort of aluminum-friendly rod,.. making it look as easy as soldering copper with lead solder.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #243 - 12/06/11 at 06:54:12

Gyrobob wrote on 12/06/11 at 06:47:43:
I wonder, though, if some of the systems that "braze" aluminum might work?  I've seen guys at expos and fairs, etc., use a torch to do what looks like soldering or brazing two pieces of aluminum together with some sort of aluminum-friendly rod,.. making it look as easy as soldering copper with lead solder.

WOW! That must take some kind of amazing skill, or at least some trickery I don't know about. I'm a barely functional welder as it is, but I've always been told that Aluminum can't be welded with a torch because it dissipates heat so quickly that by the time you melt the part you are trying to weld, the whole thing slumps into a puddle.
But yeah, I suppose if you used a cooler temperature torch, you could probably solder it together in some form? Definitely  going do some research on that idea. It could make sometimes costly repairs to engine cases a lot more manageable... even if you just find the right guy to do it for you! Wink

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #244 - 12/06/11 at 07:12:03

HF has the stuff you need.
aluminum welding rods, I've posted the link before, but this time you look it up.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #245 - 12/06/11 at 13:08:22

A double good thing --

I needed to tighten my oil drain plug but didn't have a 17mm combination wrench. (There wasn't enough room between the plug and the frame for a socket wrench.) So I went over to Lowe's. Well, whadda ya know, they've finally started selling individual wrenches and sockets. That was the first good thing. The second was that they had a stubby 17mm combination wrench. Perfect for the limited space under the bike.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #246 - 12/06/11 at 15:08:46

Win two, lose one. I was filling and bleeding the front brake and discovered the master cylinder wasn't pumping.  So I figured I'd take out the piston and check the seals. Well, in order to get at things, I had to destroy the rubber boot. Then my circlip pliers wouldn't fit into the tunnel the clip is burried in. I worked at it with an awl, pretty much bending it out of shape just before it went flying who knows where. But the piston came out. Awful dirty in there. Since I had to get a new boot and clip, I figured I might as well get a new piston and seals (since the seals don't come separately).  Oh well.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #247 - 12/10/11 at 10:26:41

guess whats on its way:

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #248 - 12/10/11 at 10:54:06

Yay! Christmas!

Were you able to clean up the scratches on the front?

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #249 - 12/10/11 at 17:07:25

MotoBuddha wrote on 12/10/11 at 10:54:06:
Yay! Christmas!

Were you able to clean up the scratches on the front?

i think bead blasting is your best bet

IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #250 - 12/17/11 at 13:17:01

Well, this sucks. I finally got all the electrical bits together, connected the battery, turned the key to ON, pulled in the clutch, pushed the decompression lever, hit the start button and.......

Nothing.

Kill switch in the correct position? Try it the other way?

Still nothing.

So many things that could be the culprit. Sigh.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
teabowl13
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #251 - 12/17/11 at 16:01:06

Grrrr....
Wish I could help you... I'm totally electrically retarded....

Fear not. It will come alive!!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #252 - 12/17/11 at 17:29:38

This may help...

Start at the starter switch and follow the juice to the starter.

WWW   IP Logged
MotoBuddha
Serious Thumper

Let's roll!

Charlotte, NC
Reply #253 - 12/17/11 at 18:11:10

Yeah, I have the manual. And a voltage tester. I'm just not very methodical and patient.

Travel kills ignorance.
  IP Logged
crackmonkey
YaBB Newbies

nothing to see here.
 keep moving

Hagerstown, MD
Reply #254 - 12/17/11 at 19:45:41

try kicking it. It won't solve anything but might make you feel better until you realize you just jacked your new paint up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/19/24 at 08:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Project: Phase 4

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.