Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #15 - 05/08/11 at 16:18:11

Was wrong on the brand, my Honda has front 4.00-19 Goodyear AllTraction, 4.50-18 Goodyear Eagle RT on the rear. When I swap the front wheel for a GT750 (2 stroke triple, 1969)  tls wheel it will have a NOS Grand Sport GS690 3.25/3.50-19 tire. Speedmasters when it is finished and roadworthy.

Right now it looks funny, nice shaped seat but no cowling or rear fender, flat track bars, replica Brit bike levers and perches (with HD mirror mount holes), no side panels (have one but it is ugly) and low pipes with 12" glaspacks. Stock 4.75 headlight, no boots, old black Progressive shocks, gold flake diamond tuck kneepad covers, old style Honda Super Sport grips (Emgo of course)... And factory mid-mounts with cross-over rear brake controller.

The RYCA parts look like a fun conversion. Went the other way on my Savage, I can't ride low bars.

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/09/11 at 16:27:54

Gyrobob wrote on 05/06/11 at 19:38:17:
To properly tension the cam chain.  

As stock LS650/S40 motors accumulate miles, the chain stretches and the chain tensioner runs out of travel.  The tensioner and chain start making a tapping/clicking noise as a warning.  

If the problem is ignored, it is possible for the parts to disassemble themselves, turning the motor into a boat anchor.

This situation is very unusual for Japanese motors -- they usually last for decades with no problems.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1191167029/2#2

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1303914476/0#0

did you re-harden the case steel of the plunger after welding extension?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #17 - 05/09/11 at 19:41:43

No,... for two reasons:

1. The welding (since it is MIG) would only affect the heat treatment of the plunger to slightly past the original hole, if that far.  The surface hardness of the plunger (where it slides in and out of the tensioner housing), would not be affected.

2. None of the other several threads here dealing with welding on the extension mentioned anything about heat treating the extended part.  These guys here know WAY more about this stuff than I do, so I figure if none of them are concerned, I won't be either.

This does beg a question, though,....

Has anyone here had any trouble with chain tensioner function/reliability after the mod?

The first pic shows the tensioner when we pulled the clutch cover off the 14,000 mile motor.  The plunger was extended a lot, but no so far as to get cocked in the housing.  The motor was making the clicking noise several folks referred to in other threads.

The second pic shows the piece we cut out of some mild steel to weld to the plunger.

Third and fourth pics show the first grinds after the initial welds.  We used a MIG welder because we wanted the minimum duration of weld heat put on the piece, so as to disturb the case hardening of the part as little as possible.  The piece was clamped into a vise lined with aluminum to suck out heat as rapidly as possible.

Final pic shows the lengthened tensioner.  After the welded part was stuffed all the way back in to the housing, and turned loose to tighten the cam chain, the plunger moved back out two clicks on its ratchet.

« Last Edit: 10/24/12 at 04:51:16 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #18 - 05/09/11 at 19:46:31

Today the gaskets arrived so we cleaned up the joining surfaces, put the gasket in place, and tightened down the clutch cover gradually using a technique like one would use on tightening a cylinder head.  We used 10 ft-lbs of torque.  While we had it apart, we also derusted the allen head bolts, and installed a new oil filter.  Then we put the bike back to vertical, so it doesn't have that road-kill look it has had for the past few days.

« Last Edit: 06/02/11 at 19:38:32 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 05/09/11 at 20:28:42

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 05/09/11 at 16:27:54:
did you re-harden the case steel of the plunger after welding extension?

The plunger is case hardened for wear, not thru hardened.
Quote:
Has anyone here had any trouble with chain tensioner function/reliability after the mod?

Haven't heard of one.

Mine has over 50k miles on it.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #20 - 05/10/11 at 03:35:55

I seriously doubt we changed the case hardening any when we MIG welded the extension on the plunger.

One of the main advantages of the MIG process is that heat the from the weld is very local, and short in duration.  Each time the arc started to fly, it was probably on for one or two seconds, with maybe a minute or two between welds for inspection, cooling, and bulls***ting.  

Plus, we had the cylindrical end of the plunger in a vise which had a layer of soft aluminum between the steel of the vise jaws and the plunger,... protecting the finish of the plunger and providing a heavy heat sink.

I ain't worried none about the plunger.

I am interested, though, about long term results from folks here who have done this mod.

Verslagen, you have over 50k miles on a Savage?  after the cam chain tensioner mod?  Wow.  That makes me feel all pleasant and tingly inside! Cheesy Grin Wink Smiley

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #21 - 05/10/11 at 03:40:21

Let me toss in here about how much we enjoy this forum.  It is not only extremely informative, effective, useful, etc., in the way it can help the Savage newbies (Jud and Bob, infamous double RYCA builders), it is quite a bit of fun just wandering around through the threads reading about this marvelous motorcycle. Thanks LARGE.

« Last Edit: 09/30/11 at 06:57:36 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #22 - 05/10/11 at 03:52:38

On 13 March, we did some more disassembly.  

The forks on the workbench are ready for new seals and the lowering mod.  

The wheels show the brutality of just clipping the spokes to get the hubs separated to ship off to RYCA.  If I had it to do over again, I would have taken the time to disassemble the wheels and save the spokes -- you never know when you might need that stuff or be able to sell it.  Does that make me a hoarder?

I tried to give away those tires on Craigslist and had no takers. Angry

« Last Edit: 05/11/11 at 06:33:43 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #23 - 05/10/11 at 10:52:05

I could use a set of forks.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #24 - 05/10/11 at 19:47:41

Ralfyguy, we will be needing both sets of forks for the two RYCA CS-1s we are building.  We recently did the lowering mods on the forks, put the stiffer springs in one set, and put new seals in both sets.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 05/11/11 at 20:22:44

Here's a stack of tubes inflated just enough to be a little bigger than the size they'll be in the bikes.  With the heavy nearly-full paint bucket weighing down like that, it is a way to check for slow leaks.  The can didn't descend any for several days, so we think we have no leaks.

We are reusing the front tubes.  Bought new tubes for the new 18" tires.  We also got new rim strips,.. the old ones were not seeming all that pliable.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #26 - 05/11/11 at 20:29:20

Here's a couple of LS650s relaxing along Savage wall.  One up on the jack, the other on the floor.

All around them is stuff that will be sold eventually,.. a box of covers, guards, shocks, smaller bits,.... some rear wheel rims, .... Memphis shades windshield,... handlebars,...  turn signals,...  fenders/lights,....

I wonder what all the stuff weighs that is not going back on the bike.

« Last Edit: 04/06/15 at 15:14:03 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #27 - 05/12/11 at 06:04:03

As a precursor to renaming the wall "RYCA wall" a new clock face was installed.  Hopefully, pretty soon, the wall will be the location for a couple of machines that look more like cafe racers, rather than a couple of hulks leftover from leaving the bikes in a ghetto for too long.

We wish we didn't have so much time on our hands, but the only stuff shipped so far is front end pieces and tanks/sidecovers/seats.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #28 - 05/12/11 at 06:15:20

Jud's LS650 probably thinking "WHAT the HELL!!!!" as it sits there, prior to tying up all the hangy-down parts, wondering where 50lbs of its previous existence has disappeared.  This is what we got done in another 2-hr session on 15 March.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #29 - 05/12/11 at 06:26:21

Bob's 2002 LS650 after the 15 Mar session.  All the loose stuff tied up with zip-ties to maybe keep the decade-old flexible stuff from cracking.  I wonder how much that remaining lump of motorcycle weighs.  

Haven't yet done the front wheels.  They are waiting for derusting, truing, and tire mounting.  Goodyear Deluxe Champion on Jud's bike, and Avon Speedmaster on Bob's.

Next step is to study the RYCA videos a bit and start cutting.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 21:45:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.