Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 28
Send Topic Print
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates (Read 17413 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates
05/06/11 at 16:01:41

My buddy Jud and I are building two RYCA CS-1 cafe racers, side by side.  The following link has hundreds of pics of the effort.

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

It has been pretty interesting so far.

Stay tuned for news,....

« Last Edit: 03/06/19 at 10:28:40 by Gyrobob »  

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Re: Double RYCA Build
Reply #1 - 05/06/11 at 17:05:58

what is the function of lengthening  tensioner?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #2 - 05/06/11 at 19:38:17

To properly tension the cam chain.  

As stock LS650/S40 motors accumulate miles, the chain stretches and the chain tensioner runs out of travel.  The tensioner and chain start making a tapping/clicking noise as a warning.  

If the problem is ignored, it is possible for the parts to disassemble themselves, turning the motor into a boat anchor.

This situation is very unusual for Japanese motors -- they usually last for decades with no problems.

See reply #17 in this thread to show how I did a little welding/grinding to fix Jud's overextended chain tensioner.

stretched chain causing chain tensioner extended dangerously far

chain tensioner modified so the plunger part of it is back where it belongs

« Last Edit: 12/30/23 at 09:42:07 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #3 - 05/07/11 at 07:38:46

Jud got his bike in late December 2010.  A 2000 LS650 with a little less than 14,000 miles.  He traded a well-used Yamaha 225 for it.  We don't have any pics of the event,.. just a pic of his Spousal Unit testing it out shortly after he acquired it. She rode it around for a few minutes and opined favorably.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #4 - 05/07/11 at 07:44:07

Bob (on the right) got his in Vilonia, Arkansas (late Feb 2011) from a fellow who maintained the bike really well.  2002 LS650 with about 4000 miles.  Towed it home on a folding trailer he built from kit.  

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #5 - 05/07/11 at 07:47:06

The bikes were parked along "Savage Wall" in Bob's garage, awaiting RYCA parts.  We'd take them out for short hops occasionally just for the fun of it, and to develop a feeling for what the bikes were like before the transformation.  We sent in the bucks for two RYCA kits in early March.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #6 - 05/07/11 at 08:08:13

Some sort of a way to get the bike supported while yanking off parts and putting back on different parts is really helpful.  We like this thing a lot.  It is lightweight, but really sturdy.  Sears in Douglasville had them on sale for a few days, so Bob bought one.  Aluminum motorcycle jack,... who'd a known?

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #7 - 05/07/11 at 08:16:46

On 6 March, we started tearing into the soon-to-be-ex-cruisers.  We removed the stuff we had to send to RYCA -- swingarms, tanks, rear wheel hubs.  No difficulties.  Took a couple of hours total.  Jud shipped the two sets of parts (tanks, swingarms, rear wheel hubs) to RYCA on 7 Mar.

« Last Edit: 12/24/23 at 16:08:11 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 05/07/11 at 09:22:49

Pretty nice shop, from the look of the floor.. Whats that propeller on?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #9 - 05/07/11 at 09:41:51

Thanks.  The floor is just plain ol' concrete.  The propeller is on a 2-place gyrocopter currently under construction.  You can see it in the background of the some of the pics at:

http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh253/Gyrobob_theOriginal/Motorcycle/RYCA%...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 05/07/11 at 16:59:14

Dude, seriously? Autorotate is a cool concept.. I used to go watch them learning, being towed behind a truck, right off the airport property.. They seem to crash a l0t.. please be careful.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #11 - 05/07/11 at 19:39:12

I've crashed a lot more motorcycles than gyrocopters,... and motorcycles go a lot faster.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #12 - 05/08/11 at 13:08:26

Let me plug our special deal here.  We are trying to sell all the take-off stuff in one pile.  Using estimates from local dealer for what all the stuff would cost to replace with new, we took about a fourth of that and came up with $800 for everything.  We got very little response for the whole enchilada.  We've had maybe 30 offers for bits and pieces, but nothing for everything.  So we've lowered the price to $700.  If that doesn't generate any interest, we'll put it on ebay and take what we can get.  If THAT doesn't work, we'll sell it bit by bit here, on ebay, and craigslist.  We really, though, don't feel like going to UPS a few times per month endlessly.

Here's an example of one of the items, a turn signal.

The whole list is on a thread in the marketplace here:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1299808529

Pics of a lot of the stuff on the list is here:

We even tried to give all four tires away on Craigslist Atlanta. FREE!  No takers.

« Last Edit: 12/24/23 at 16:12:15 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #13 - 05/08/11 at 13:41:10

Not surprised on the tires, IRC cruiser spec are junk. Their sportbike tires are decent, not great, but decent. For some reason their cruiser tires dry rot really quickly, my 98's stock front had 75% tread and was 100% junk at 5k. The stock rear lasted 7K miles, had 65-70% tread but the sidewall weather checked wide enough to stick a finger in. And I ride at 100% max sidewall rating inflation, so heat cycling wasn't a factor.

I have a Firestone "street knobby" on my 63 Honda, was installed in the 70s, still flexible, still holds air, no checking at all...

Lisa's 96 800 Intruder ran its stock Dunlop Qualifier until 2009, still had tread, finally had enough sidewall/tread checking to replace it.

I put 40K miles on a D404 150/80/16 in 18 months with NO checking and still had at least 50% tread.

So what will you run in place of the stock junk tires?

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #14 - 05/08/11 at 14:36:22

One set is Dunlop 404.  The other is IRC Grand High Speed.  The IRCs are probably the original tires with about 4,000 on them.  The Dunlops are a few years old and probably have a few thousand miles.  

All four tires look to be in pretty good shape.  Anyone close enough to come get them can have them for free.  I'm in Newnan, Georgia, on the SW side of metro Atlanta.  I can add some pics here in a day or two.

Jud is using Firestone Deluxe Champions for the vintage look and feel, like Casey used on the prototype.

I'm using Avon Speedmasters for the same reasons, plus they have some sentimental value,.... The first new motorcycle I ever bought was a 1965 Norton Atlas 750 which had Avon Speedmasters.  In 1965, those tires were a big deal -- true performance stuff.

3.50-19 on the front and 4.00-18 on the rear for both bikes.

« Last Edit: 05/08/11 at 15:48:58 by Gyrobob »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 20:07:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Double RYCA build Mar 2019 updates

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.