Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print
From Lien to Bobber to Cafe: RYCA Build (Read 18752 times)
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Re: From Lien to Bobber to Cafe: RYCA Build
Reply #180 - 06/13/11 at 11:27:08

Gyrobob wrote on 06/12/11 at 12:00:57:

I'm of the opinion these spokes need to be replaced with a set that is about 1.12" shorter.

Angry

Maybe I should amend that statement.  I've just heard from some wheel lacers who make their living at this.  Their opinion?.... the wrong rims were used.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #181 - 06/13/11 at 12:36:02

a reminder / UGH!

this morning while riding his motorcycle, my pops was hit by an idiot driver. waking up to that phone call was a horrible experience. thankfully my pops escaped any real injury and is only bruised. his bike received some real damage but bikes can be replaced. this is a good reminder that no matter how safe one is, anything can happen.

be safe out there!

*and to the @$$hole that threw his coffee at us because we were blocking traffic while trying to scrape the bike off the ground... i got you.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #182 - 06/13/11 at 12:38:47

Gyrobob wrote on 06/13/11 at 07:30:48:
I have an FAA mechanic certificate with A&P ratings.  (big deal, eh?)  Crimped connecters are the preferred method in aircraft.  I'll admit the crimped connectors for airworthiness requirements aren't the type you'd get in a box from Big Lots, but the name brand automotive and marine stuff is pretty good.  They aren't cheap.

Soldered connectors have at least five disadvantages:
-- They fatigue more rapidly in vibrating environments.
-- The joint needs to be cleaned of flux, even if you don't use an acidic flux.
-- You have to do a heat-shrink cover over the joint afterwards
      - more stuff to buy
      - more steps in the process
      - more craftsmanship required
      - easy to not look tidy
-- It takes more skill to do a proper solder joint.
-- It takes more time.

I would recommend to those using crimped connectors to do some testing of your typical joints.  Do a few test crimps using the types of connectors and wire you intend to use.  Then yank, twist, pull, and otherwise abuse the connection a lot to see how it holds up.  This is occasionally a very disappointing procedure.

One other tip:  you can increase the fatigue resistance of a crimped joint by shrinking on some heat shrink tubing about a 1/2" on both sides of the joint OVER the crimping insulator.  Overkill?  Maybe.

good idea on the heat shrink. ill probably go back through and do this once i have everything where it needs to be

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #183 - 06/13/11 at 12:52:00

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 06/13/11 at 12:36:02:
a reminder / UGH!

this morning while riding his motorcycle, my pops was hit by an idiot driver. waking up to that phone call was a horrible experience. thankfully my pops escaped any real injury and is only bruised. his bike received some real damage but bikes can be replaced. this is a good reminder that no matter how safe one is, anything can happen.

be safe out there!

*and to the @$$hole that threw his coffee at us because we were blocking traffic while trying to scrape the bike off the ground... i got you.

Sorry to hear that.  My best to your pops.  

And someone threw coffee??  What a pr!ck.  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #184 - 06/15/11 at 22:52:48

PSA:

Coming home from work i was able to stop by the auto paint store, searching for the color ive only seen in my head. I wasnt at all impressed with the place i was visiting. a bummer, as it came highly recommended. i know im impatient but the conversation i had to endure between the man behind the counter and the dude trying to fix his freshly hit ride was TORTUROUS! Someone should have been recording their interaction. I swear it was a PSA against huffing in the making. and if not then they need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qF_JtQ55k&feature=related

By the time i left i had the biggest headache, caused by either the painful conversation, the suffocating fumes, or the lack of color options....im guessing all three. despite the lack of color i did come a bit closer to the color i have in mind:

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #185 - 06/16/11 at 00:00:53

let there be light:

after three days and at a very slow pace the rat's nest has been defeated by rear naked choke. i thoroughly explored the wire harness and omitted anything that is no longer in use.  though a little leaner, its a lot meaner and routed as ryca recommends; under the frame allowing the tank to fit. the ignition extension was a bit of a pain, a result of my shakey shakerton hands but other than that everything came together easily.

the bulb seen here is the h4 sylvania silverstar. it seems BRIGHT and im pleased with the color temperature

the rear light included with the ryca cs-1 kit is pretty cool and the indicators are very bright. i think they will be difficult to miss.

i have one more mod up my sleeve. once the design is finalized im off to one last trip to powder coating and paint and then the open road is mine...i can almost taste it!

IP Logged
sbaugz
Ex Member

Reply #186 - 06/16/11 at 04:27:14

looks nice. Would you mind posting a bunch of pics of how you routed and tied down the wiring harness? Still struggling with getting mine hidden enough and would be interested in seeing how others are doing it.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #187 - 06/17/11 at 10:27:23

stand no longer needed:

the rear wheel is  in; my cs-1 is built; fluids needed then we'll rip

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #188 - 06/17/11 at 10:36:13

chain gang:

with the rear wheel installed the chain mods were discovered to be a success with the springs at full extension or fully compressed. although there is one minor clearance issue concerning a cap screw bolt ryca includes for the rear set bracket. easy resolve as the bolt will be changed over to a button head solving the issue. everything was well worth the effort as i love to have my cake and eat it too!

springs not compressed:

springs compressed:

underside of rear set bracket:

cap screw clearance issue:

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #189 - 06/17/11 at 10:57:12

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 06/15/11 at 22:52:48:
PSA:

Coming home from work i was able to stop by the auto paint store, searching for the color ive only seen in my head. I wasnt at all impressed with the place i was visiting. a bummer, as it came highly recommended. i know im impatient but the conversation i had to endure between the man behind the counter and the dude trying to fix his freshly hit ride was TORTUROUS! Someone should have been recording their interaction. I swear it was a PSA against huffing in the making. and if not then they need to watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3qF_JtQ55k&feature=related

This guy just somehow finds a way to always entertain me when I read his posts.

IP Logged
RycaShawn

Ryca Fan

Los Angeles
Reply #190 - 06/17/11 at 11:03:01

wheelchairstuntn wrote on 06/17/11 at 10:36:13:
with the rear wheel installed the chain mods were discovered to be a success with the springs at full extension or fully compressed. although there is one minor clearance issue concerning a cap screw bolt ryca includes for the rear set bracket. easy resolve as the bolt will be changed over to a button head solving the issue.

You can even countersink the heavy gage sheet metal and gain even more clearance with a countersunk screw.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #191 - 06/17/11 at 12:28:19

RycaShawn wrote on 06/17/11 at 10:57:12:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 06/15/11 at 22:52:48:
PSA:

This guy just somehow finds a way to always entertain me when I read his posts.

like!

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #192 - 06/17/11 at 12:28:33

RycaShawn wrote on 06/17/11 at 11:03:01:
wheelchairstuntn wrote on 06/17/11 at 10:36:13:
with the rear wheel installed the chain mods were discovered to be a success with the springs at full extension or fully compressed. although there is one minor clearance issue concerning a cap screw bolt ryca includes for the rear set bracket. easy resolve as the bolt will be changed over to a button head solving the issue.

You can even countersink the heavy gage sheet metal and gain even more clearance with a countersunk screw.

totally

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #193 - 06/19/11 at 16:35:33

mysteries solved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chz8TnoznDc&feature=related

kickstand kill switch-
for the kickstand kill switch the green wire and black/white wire need to be connected to each other. the bike will start up if the plug is removed, however when shifting into gear the bike will shut off. connecting the two wires together grounds out the circuit.

here the two wires are shown soldered together with heat shrink over the end. after this photo was taken i snipped off the entire plug and connected the wires, giving a cleaner install:

clutch killswitch:
the two green and yellow wires coming out from the side of the headlight switch housing unit run to a small kill switch under the clutch lever. in order to run the hand controlled decompression lever it was determined that three hands were needed to engage the clutch, control the decompression lever and push the starter button. the other option was to bypass the clutch kill switch entirely. cutting the two wires and connecting them together does this.
switch:

decompression lever redux:
decompression lever needs to be engaged as the starter button is pushed. as engine turns over and starts, one will actually feel the decompression lever move back into its natural state. the clutch kill switch needs to be bypassed in order to control the hand held decompression lever and starter button at the same time. for this the clutch must always be in neutral when starting up.

IP Logged
RpNSht
Ex Member

Reply #194 - 06/19/11 at 16:45:39

varrrrrrrooooooooom!:

here's a clip of the first attempt of starting up my ryca cs-1 aka stasis is death, after almost 3 months dormant. im running a 150 jet and 52.5 jet. please excuse the popping-the bike hasnt been tuned in this clip. the iphone 4 recording device doesnt give the sound justice; the bike is incredibly loud and im incredibly happy with the sound just the way it is!

click on photo for the rip'n

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 28
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 12:55:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › From Lien to Bobber to Cafe: RYCA Build

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.