Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
New Savage owner and new to forum (Read 168 times)
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
New Savage owner and new to forum
12/31/14 at 18:44:19

Hey everybody,

My name is Skip and I am new to the forum and new to Savage bikes as well. I owned a couple of different Harley baggers for the past couple of decades (1972 FLH and a 1997FLHTCI), sold both of those and thought I would try something different. I picked up a 2009 s40 just about a month ago. I saw it on C-list and thought, that looks pretty cool. When I went to the sellers place to look at it, my first thought was *yikes*; if you could apply the concept of 'rode hard and put up wet' to a bike, this bike fits the bill. I probably should have taken a pass on it, time will tell I guess. It has definitely been ridden, it has almost 50K on the clock, so aside from the cosmetic stuff I have dealt with, I am going thru it mechanically as well. Compression was ok. Adjusted the valves and already have new oil/filter for it as well as air filter. Pulled the carb apart to clean it yesterday and discovered that the diaphragm on the vacuum slide had holes in it Undecided Who knew those things were so freakin expensive Shocked So anyhow I am just waiting on the new turn signals I ordered so I can start smacking it back together, and take it out and enjoy some of this Tucson riding weather!

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
paulmarshall
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carterton,New Zealand
Re: New Savage owner and new to forum
Reply #1 - 12/31/14 at 21:18:58

Hi and welcome to the site. Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 12/31/14 at 21:26:00

Look in the marketplace, you might land some parts..
It's late,tired of typing,, welcome,man.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Srotag

Have  Thumper  
  Will  Travel

Wherever it is warm and sunny
Reply #3 - 01/01/15 at 06:37:05

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1344399573

The link above is the MUST READ info that will get you off on the right foot with your new bike. Cool

Welcome  Smiley

2005 S40 Ridin' on the back of our motorhome...Where we go, so goes Thumper Smiley Smiley
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/01/15 at 13:06:44

Skiprrdog wrote on 12/31/14 at 18:44:19:
Hey everybody,

My name is Skip and I am new to the forum and new to Savage bikes as well. I owned a couple of different Harley baggers for the past couple of decades (1972 FLH and a 1997FLHTCI), sold both of those and thought I would try something different. I picked up a 2009 s40 just about a month ago. I saw it on C-list and thought, that looks pretty cool. When I went to the sellers place to look at it, my first thought was *yikes*; if you could apply the concept of 'rode hard and put up wet' to a bike, this bike fits the bill. I probably should have taken a pass on it, time will tell I guess. It has definitely been ridden, it has almost 50K on the clock, so aside from the cosmetic stuff I have dealt with, I am going thru it mechanically as well. Compression was ok. Adjusted the valves and already have new oil/filter for it as well as air filter. Pulled the carb apart to clean it yesterday and discovered that the diaphragm on the vacuum slide had holes in it Undecided Who knew those things were so freakin expensive Shocked So anyhow I am just waiting on the new turn signals I ordered so I can start smacking it back together, and take it out and enjoy some of this Tucson riding weather!

I believe I may have a slide/diaphragm, so if you have not ordered one or got a line on one already let me know and I will confirm and we can talk.

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #5 - 01/01/15 at 13:32:05

Thanks for all of the replies. This is an excellent site and yes. I have a lot of reading to do to catch up.
Lancer, thanks for the offer but I already ordered one.

Thought you could all use a laugh, so I am posting this picture of the PO's 'thinking outside the box' when he went to repair a broken left side foot peg. My wife says at least you got a free 7/16" wrench... yeah, too bad I cant use it on this bike Grin

peg_001.jpg

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 01/01/15 at 14:20:27

I think he found those parts, inside the box... Grin...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Art Webb
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

columbus, Texas
Reply #7 - 01/01/15 at 15:05:26

welcome, I'd say that's not a bad use for an el cheapo wrench  Grin
except of course it's not a good footpeg

IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #8 - 01/01/15 at 17:11:43

For what this guy used in electrical tape on this one peg, he probably could have picked up a used one on fleaBay Cheesy

One more thing I forgot to ask; I was doing some online research earlier about this whole cam tensioner issue, and on one page I visited (forget where) the author stated that Suzuki managed to improve the design of that part over a few years (don't remember which ones) Is this true? Mine is an s40, not a Savage (technically the same, I realize) I am going to check mine no matter what, but was curious about that.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 01/01/15 at 21:14:36

Suzuki,... or any bike manufacturer, buy from the lowest bidder... the supplier may have changed, but the design is the same...
Manufacturers out-source so many things nowadays...  tires, wheels, brakes, forks, bars, gauges, switches, filters, shocks, belts, lights, and on and on...
...but the cam chain adjuster is the same...
It has little play, and no stop...
The Verslavy mod extends the play and adds a pinned stop to the extension...
The play adds to the life... the stop, saves your engine from catastrophe...

No money better spent... Wink...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 01/01/15 at 21:29:03

Skiprrdog wrote on 01/01/15 at 13:32:05:
Thought you could all use a laugh, so I am posting this picture of the PO's 'thinking outside the box' when he went to repair a broken left side foot peg. My wife says at least you got a free 7/16" wrench... yeah, too bad I cant use it on this bike Grin

Oh but you can... 7/16" = 11mm

WWW   IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #11 - 01/01/15 at 23:01:48

Price up a 7/16 ring open ender and deduct it from what you paid for the bike. What brand if any is it?

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #12 - 01/02/15 at 07:57:56

Yeah, I am going to check the cam chain no matter what.

11MM... too bad its not 10MM, that is the one I always seem to need, and therefore never seem to have Tongue

Does not say what brand it is, only that it is 'made in Taiwan', but hey, that is the good stuff... at least its not China Cool

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #13 - 01/02/15 at 08:06:05

And don't forget the $4 worth of hose clamps. Those aren't cheap these days and are always good to have around for odd tasks around the house/shop.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | RT6 w/Redline | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Skiprrdog
YaBB Newbies

are we there yet?

Tucson, AZ
Reply #14 - 01/02/15 at 08:18:08

Funny you said that; as I was typing the last reply I was thinking I should have thrown that in there. Too bad I couldn't figure out a way to re-cycle all of the electrical tape he used on his various fixes... I would probably have enough to re-wire a small house Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 07:36:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage owner and new to forum

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.